Brakes

So, I am already starting to think about the modifications I will probably do to my potential FJ-09.  I have never owned a bike with ABS.  In fact, I have never really liked ABS or wanted it.  I will probably be wanting to put braided steel lines on the front brakes.  Has anyone here ever done this on an ABS bike?  I am a bit concerned about being able to get all the air out of the system.  I guess that I could also just bypass the ABS for the front and put the new lines straight from the master cylinder to the calipers, but I wonder if that will affect the rear ABS.  

Sorry if I put this in the wrong folder.
2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mizzouxc
It shouldn't be a problem but I would check with a mechanic just to be sure.
Yamaha sells braided lines as an accessory. I may be ignorant, but wouldn't Yamaha be required to provide safe brake lines & brakes on every bike they sell. Is there that much ballooning in non braided lines that it matters for anyone but Internet enthusiasts and those who actually race for a living? 
https://www.yamahapartsandaccessories.com/shop/product/details/fz-fj-stainless-steel-braided-brake-lines?b=Street+Motorcycle&d=28|28&f=2015|235

It shouldn't be a problem but I would check with a mechanic just to be sure.
Yamaha sells braided lines as an accessory. I may be ignorant, but wouldn't Yamaha be required to provide safe brake lines & brakes on every bike they sell. Is there that much ballooning in non braided lines that it matters for anyone but Internet enthusiasts and those who actually race for a living? 
https://www.yamahapartsandaccessories.com/shop/product/details/fz-fj-stainless-steel-braided-brake-lines?b=Street+Motorcycle&d=28|28&f=2015|235

Brake feel is a very personal thing.  Subtle differences to one rider are huge to another.
2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09

Guest mizzouxc

Brake feel is a very personal thing.  Subtle differences to one rider are huge to another.
If you had to ask if changing brake lines would have effect on the ABS, I'm sure spending money on braided brake lines is a good idea for you. Changing pads & the material they're made of would have more change in feel than changing brake lines. Especially on a sport touring bike.  
Also not to quibble too much, but how can you say you like the feel of braided lines on this bike when it's not released yet?

So just a question, how did you get your hands on not only a stock bike but also one with braided lines to know the difference in brake feel already? No one has these yet? I want to get my hands on one to try it out too! 

Sorry that I wasn't clear.  Of course, all of this is just guessing at this point.  I will be riding the bike for a  few months and decide as I go on what to alter.  At the Seattle show the lever feel was a bit soft but that was a pre-production model.  All of the bikes that I have owned with rubber lines (3) gained some degree of brake feel when braided lines were installed.  As for the ABS, I am only concerned about bleeding the system.
2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09

"Brake feel is a very personal thing. Subtle differences to one rider are huge to another."
We have a winner!
You could spend years riding on the street and not learn to get the most out of your brakes. I never did.
I did track days and some racing for 15 years and still don't consider myself "good" on the brakes. ...but I ain't to "bad" either
So yea. Braided lines and quality pads along with a well bled system make a difference .
Also,most stock brake lines may be OK new ,but they will expand as they get older losing feel , and requiring more lever travel.
...and you do change your fluid every year ,right?

Guest mizzouxc
Sorry that I wasn't clear.  Of course, all of this is just guessing at this point.  I will be riding the bike for a  few months and decide as I go on what to alter.  At the Seattle show the lever feel was a bit soft but that was a pre-production model.  All of the bikes that I have owned with rubber lines (3) gained some degree of brake feel when braided lines were installed.  As for the ABS, I am only concerned about bleeding the system.
Just a quick FYI. All high pressure lines these days have braiding material built in-it just may not be metal. Nylon typically isn't used in high temp applications, but other stronger materials can & are used. Otherwise the lines will balloon a bit, which is not ideal. The last time this was ever an issue was in the 1960's.  

Guest mizzouxc
"Brake feel is a very personal thing. Subtle differences to one rider are huge to another." We have a winner!
You could spend years riding on the street and not learn to get the most out of your brakes. I never did.
I did track days and some racing for 15 years and still don't consider myself "good" on the brakes. ...but I ain't to "bad" either
So yea. Braided lines and quality pads along with a well bled system make a difference .
Also,most stock brake lines may be OK new ,but they will expand as they get older losing feel , and requiring more lever travel.
...and you do change your fluid every year ,right?

Here's a photo of a "modern" brake line. They're braided, just where you can't see it. If you think external braiding makes a difference, great! But like you said, most of us will never be able to notice a difference due to our lack of skill. http://www.carbibles.com/images/brakehose.jpg

Guest mizzouxc
" But like you said, most of us will never be able to notice a difference due to our lack of skill." Pretty much.
But don't let it get you down. you can improve.
I did.
Yeah, my attempt to save an internet enthusiast $240+ on something that has an insignificant difference on a sport touring bike is futile! At least they'll know they "upgraded" the bike when selling it.  
If this were the cbr1000rr forums, I might concede that better braided brake lines might be in order. The FJ just isn't that kind of bike.

It's all good Miz. Please don't put words in my mouth and I won't get snarky.  As for saving internet users from themselves. Good luck.   The first thing most save up for is a pipe.   Me , suspension. (That doesn't make them wrong. Different priorities, is all)   If there is a glaring flaw with  the FJ it will be obvious to some ,but not others.   If say, The power delivery was abrupt in A mode and made smooth transitions from brakes to throttle at the Apex hard. For me, that's a problem.   My stunter friend would say,"whats the problem", as  he snapped up another wheelie.(..and he parks it in the corners)   If he bought a new ride his first priority ought to be frame siders, case guards, and life insurance ,but those would be my priorities,not his. (He thinks I'm crazy too.)   I'm with holding judgment on anti lock brakes till spring. I expect to stop faster upright under less than ideal conditions.   If I'm not comfortable doing so, they are being bypassed with a two brake line system.         

Guest mizzouxc
    It's all good Miz. Please don't put words in my mouth and I won't get snarky.  As for saving internet users from themselves. Good luck.   The first thing most save up for is a pipe.   Me , suspension. (That doesn't make them wrong. Different priorities, is all)   If there is a glaring flaw with  the FJ it will be obvious to some ,but not others.   If say, The power delivery was abrupt in A mode and made smooth transitions from brakes to throttle at the Apex hard. For me, that's a problem.   My stunter friend would say,"whats the problem", as  he snapped up another wheelie.(..and he parks it in the corners)   If he bought a new ride his first priority ought to be frame siders, case guards, and life insurance ,but those would be my priorities,not his. (He thinks I'm crazy too.)   I'm with holding judgment on anti lock brakes till spring. I expect to stop faster upright under less than ideal conditions.   If I'm not comfortable doing so, they are being bypassed with a two brake line system.               
Not entirely sure when I put words in your mouth, so don't get snarky with me. Seeming you have so many problems with this bike, I recommend finding another bike to meet your needs. Best of luck and farewell internet forums. People like you are the reason I never join them.