Brakes

It's all good Miz. Please don't put words in my mouth and I won't get snarky.  As for saving internet users from themselves. Good luck.   The first thing most save up for is a pipe.   Me , suspension. (That doesn't make them wrong. Different priorities, is all)   If there is a glaring flaw with  the FJ it will be obvious to some ,but not others.   If say, The power delivery was abrupt in A mode and made smooth transitions from brakes to throttle at the Apex hard. For me, that's a problem.   My stunter friend would say,"whats the problem", as  he snapped up another wheelie.(..and he parks it in the corners)   If he bought a new ride his first priority ought to be frame siders, case guards, and life insurance ,but those would be my priorities,not his. (He thinks I'm crazy too.)   I'm with holding judgment on anti lock brakes till spring. I expect to stop faster upright under less than ideal conditions.   If I'm not comfortable doing so, they are being bypassed with a two brake line system.               
Not entirely sure when I put words in your mouth, so don't get snarky with me. Seeming you have so many problems with this bike, I recommend finding another bike to meet your needs. Best of luck and farewell internet forums. People like you are the reason I never join them. 

I hate when people get pissy on my forums. Keep it up and your both outta here.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To paraphrase miz," Not entirely sure when I got "pissy" on your forum." It's all good tho.
I'll be picking up a fZ 09 instead.
Thanks to everyone here.
...and all the information availably on the FZ09 forum.
miz- nevermind
cruzin- good luck with the forum
Thanks again Jeff

MJ, Miz was right! "I recommend you find another bike to meet your needs"
I spent the last few days going over Nick's work on the FZ09. He's pegged it!
...just looks like a better fit for me to enjoy in my declining years.
Jeff
Jeff, Sorry to see you go.  I was looking forward to comparing notes with another sport focused rider.  Have fun with the FZ.  Check back here to see how my FJ-09 Sport build progresses.  Over the last eight years I managed to turn my Tiger 1050 into a pretty potent corner carver, so I am hoping that the 50 lb. lighter FJ will bend fairly easily to my needs.
2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09

• 4 weeks later...
I put Spiegler brake lines on my FJR 1300abs, 1 and 2 at about 58K on 1 and 37k on 2. There is an issue to make sure you get the fluid flushed through the abs unit. It may take 3-4 bleeding to do so. I still have the rear getting air and getting soft. The fronts work fine.

Regarding whether it is better then stock? I didn't notice much change and wouldn't do it for 2-3 years depending on the number of miles I put on the new FJ bike.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
I currently own an FJR and previously had an R1, FZ1, CBR954rr, and a VFR. I put braided brake lines on all the bikes but the FJR. My personal opinion is, if you will track your bike, the braided brake lines make a difference. On the streets, not so much. If I get an FJ-09, it will get braided brake lines as I like to track my bikes. Even my FJR has seen the track, but it was not much fun (600 lbs without bags on). I added EBC HH brakes to my FJR and that made a huge difference in braking ability.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Just a quick FYI. All high pressure lines these days have braiding material built in-it just may not be metal. Nylon typically isn't used in high temp applications, but other stronger materials can & are used. Otherwise the lines will balloon a bit, which is not ideal. The last time this was ever an issue was in the 1960's.
The above statement doesn't square with my personal experience.  I bought a new R6 in 2003, and by 2006, the brake performance had deteriorated noticeably.  This bike never saw the track.  New braided steel lines had the bike stopping better than new.

• 2 weeks later...
Not sure if I understood your original post or not but it seemed to me you were considering disconnecting the ABS. I would advise against it.  As far as street use is concerned no one and I do mean no one, can brake better in adverse conditions with non ABS brakes as opposed to ABS. I am talking about braking in a turn with debris (sand, gravel) in the road or on a wet road or attempting to brake hard and swerve at the same time as a car pulls out in front of you. Even Marc Marquez cannot out-brake ABS on the street. On the track is a different matter I would think.  Even the new 2015 R1 and R1M have ABS as does the new Ninja H2.  Why is that?  Because it will save your butt no matter your experience and if you think otherwise you are only fooling yourself.

I am pretty sure that the FJ does not have bank angle sensitive ABS like the bikes you mentioned.  The FJ-09's system only can prevent a slide when the bike is nearly straight up and down, as far as I understand it.  So, if you are leaned over at all it will be possible to brake too hard and wash out the front without the ABS being activated.  The only real problem I've had in the past with ABS is hard on the brakes over bumpy pavement where the ABS activated and greatly lengthened my braking zone causing me to almost overshoot the corner I was slowing for.  To be fair, the bike was a 2008 BMW F800ST.  I am hoping that the FJ-09's newer ABS is more refined than the '08 BMW was.  Anyway, I won't bypass the front ABS unless it interferes with my riding.  I've only got 83 miles on it so far.  I am waiting for some drier weather to get to know the whole bike better.
2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09

Guest eatpasta
So, I am already starting to think about the modifications I will probably do to my potential FJ-09.  I have never owned a bike with ABS.  In fact, I have never really liked ABS or wanted it.  I will probably be wanting to put braided steel lines on the front brakes.  Has anyone here ever done this on an ABS bike? 
 I didnt want an ABS bike until it saved my life at least a few times.....or at the very least it kept me from going down

I agree that it can hinder the bike sometimes but I would say that on the tarmac, most of the time in REAL world riding conditions, you want it even if you don't.

as far as the lines are concerned, Ive never had any problems with adding lines but depending on the system there might be something special you have to do to make sure the system is air tight

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
I have put steel braked lines on two bikes (all the rest came stock with them), there was an immediate improvement in feel and in one case braking power. I will never run a bike without them. I admit to riding my bikes very hard and count on the suspension and brakes to be there for me.

Cheers
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

• 5 months later...
I have some information to share in my quest to improve the front brake feel of my FJ-09. In June I installed a set of Spiegler steel lines on the bike. Unfortunately, the feel at the lever was unchanged. I bled the system 7 or 8 times just to be sure. I rode it all summer like this then had an idea. I had a master cylinder from a 2008 Tiger 1050 lying around along with a remote reservoir for the fluid. The bore on the Tiger M.C. is 5/8" which is very close(5.8% larger) to the 15 mm of the FJ M.C. After swapping the parts I am pleased to announce that nearly all of the vagueness under heavy braking is gone. The feel is even a touch better than my Street Triple 675 that has a radial M.C. Although it was unfortunate that I spent the money on the brake lines to no immediate effect, I'm choosing to see that as a learning experience and an investment in longevity of the brake system.
2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09