Brakes

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so, these bolts then? http://www.amazon.com/1-25-Socket-Screw-Grade-Plated/dp/B00SQFTV2Y

these are a bit spendy but long enough? How many turns of engagement did you get with the 88mm long variety?
http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Socket-1-25mm-85mm/dp/B00AQMFOSU

I looked for quite a while from bolt supply places and couldn't find something corrosion resistant.  I tried Amazon, but I obviously have inferior search skills.  Thank you for those links.  
The 88s use 18 mm of thread engagement, so about 14 turns.  The 75s that came with the spacers only used 4 turns.
2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Supporting Member
The quest for better brakes continues... 
GWqxzEa.jpg

These R1 rotors have really helped.  The power and controllability are much improved! It doesn't hurt that they were only $68 form Ebay.

GO MODS!  grin.png

Resurrecting an old thread... does anyone know where these 12mm spacers can be purchased from? Thanks in advance.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
I have also considered upgrading to the HH pads.  I already have an R1 master cylinder and I was considering getting a set of 320mm R1 rotors.  I had that combo on my last bike and the one-finger braking was awesome.  The rotors are pretty cheap on Ebay from a parted out bike... and its rainy winter season, I need to tweak or tinker on something.

• Premium Member
The quest for better brakes continues... 
These R1 rotors have really helped.  The power and controllability are much improved! It doesn't hurt that they were only $68 form Ebay.

GO MODS!  grin.png

Resurrecting an old thread... does anyone know where these 12mm spacers can be purchased from?Thanks in advance.

+1 on where to get the spacers, and is there another year besides the 2004-2006 R1 for rotors?? 
I plan on installing Spiegler brake lines from STG (free shipping and they include brake fluid and cleaner) and have been running the Vesrah RJL front pads (HH+ versus OEM only GG friction rating).  The RJL provided improved stopping power but IMO only SS lines and maybe the R6 17 mm master cylinder (what years will fit?) will improve power AND feel.

BTW, Bike Master sells a 10 mm mirror adapter (black or silver) for 7/8" handlebar clamps that replaces the OEM brake master cylinder clamp (PN 60-0401 Type T2 black).  I also installed Bike Master mirror extenders.

20170330_192622.jpg20170330_194424.jpg20170330_194449.jpg20170330_195341.jpg20170330_201352.jpg

• Supporting Member
Resurrecting an old thread... does anyone know where these 12mm spacers can be purchased from? Thanks in advance.

+1 on where to get the spacers, and is there another year besides the 2004-2006 R1 for rotors?? 
I plan on installing Spiegler brake lines from STG (free shipping and they include brake fluid and cleaner) and have been running the Vesrah RJL front pads (HH+ versus OEM only GG friction rating).  The RJL provided improved stopping power but IMO only SS lines and maybe the R6 17 mm master cylinder (what years will fit?) will improve power AND feel.

1.  I'm not sure what year R6 MC will fit, my R1 MC is from an '06.  Much better lever feel over stock.  The banjo fitting is on the bottom vs. side fitting on stock MC.   
2.  Where did you purchase the Vesrah pads from? is HH+ too abrasive on the rotors vs HH?

3.  I would be curious to hear your thoughts after fitting the Speigler lines, from what I have read, they completely bypass the rubber and hard lines on the bike.  A brief summary after the install would be excellent.

• Premium Member

1.  I'm not sure what year R6 MC will fit, my R1 MC is from an '06.  Much better lever feel over stock.  The banjo fitting is on the bottom vs. side fitting on stock MC.   
2.  Where did you purchase the Vesrah pads from? is HH+ too abrasive on the rotors vs HH?

3.  I would be curious to hear your thoughts after fitting the Speigler lines, from what I have read, they completely bypass the rubber and hard lines on the bike.  A brief summary after the install would be excellent.

What size is the 06 R1 MC? 
I do not know of any HH pads, as most commonly available pads are HH+.  I have found that the recently US manufactured EBC HH+ pads are more abrasive than those from other mfgrs but the Vesrah are very kind to rotors, or at least have been so on the FJ-09.

I will be installing the Spieglers this winter and will try to remember to post up my comments and pics.

I rung over 22,000 miles out of my 2015 FJ-09 (bought new in July 2016) and another 10,000 on my 110,000 mile 1998 VTR1000F in the last 13 months and thus have a long list of maintenance and mods to do on both.

BTW, I'm hoping the new brake line and MC installations will solve my weird loss of line pressure every few months, which has caused me to bleed the front brakes 3 times in the last 12 months.

• Supporting Member
What size is the 06 R1 MC?
The '04-'06 R1 master cylinder (maybe R6 too??) is the Brembo model and my research tells me the bore is 16mm.

• Premium Member
[span style=font-size:12pt]1.  The banjo fitting is on the bottom vs. side fitting on stock MC.   
[/span][span style=font-size:12pt]2.  Where did you purchase the Vesrah pads from? [/span]
I believe I purchased the Vesrah pads from RMATV / Denis Kirk 

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/764/69603/Vesrah-Race-Pad-RJL-High-Performance?term=vesrah+yamaha+fz-09+14-16+rjl+front+brake+pads

I installed the KTM handguards and the lower, more swept back Outlaw Racing TH-08 Low handlebars

https://www.amazon.com/Outlaw-Racing-Motorcycle-Handlebar-Oversized/dp/B006NYDCO8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_263_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=21vttYNMkBL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=Z8VFG8HJRKHDHVPT94NQ

Consequently, the KTM handguards cannot be rotated upward because the impinge on the brake MC.  Would the R1/6 MC with the banjo bolt at the bottom reduce or increase this interface conflict? 

• Supporting Member
Consequently, the KTM handguards cannot be rotated upward because the impinge on the brake MC.  Would the R1/6 MC with the banjo bolt at the bottom reduce or increase this interface conflict? 
I cant say with 100% certainty, but I would imagine that if your current master cylinder interferes with the handguard, then the R1/R6 will as well. - Only a guess though as I took my handguards off as soon as I bought the bike.

• Supporting Member
Yikes, the Vesrah pads are expensive!!  Twice the price of Galfer HH and EBC HH pads.  Are they that much better than other premium pads to justify the cost?