Inside the FJ muffler

papac2000

I imbedded one of your pictures in the first post, I hope that was ok?

Of course, and thank you. I have no luck with posting pics using my phone. I only seem to be able to embed properly on my pc in the non-mobile version of the site.
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

Papac, could you also take a photo of the muffler from side on? I'm actually starting to rethink my strategy... Does the inlet pipe point down? Is that cover piece you re-welded angle down? Maybe that S piece should be facing the back of the muffler so that the inlet pipe rebounds off the rear face into the reconnected shortened pipe to the outlet?.....it looks angled downwards to my wonky eyes....

The panel that was rewelded is sloped down. The piece of S pipe i am holding in the pic is removed all together. The theory I was working on is the flow will come out the top center pipe and deflect off the angled top and out the exit. I cut the exit on an angle to take advantage of this redirection. Just my thoughts for what they're worth. Can't really take more pics...I put it back on the bike. :)
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

• Premium Member
Sounds better, but I can not tell if it is loud enough to hear at speed. I like to hear my engine in the twisties.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Sounds better, but I can not tell if it is loud enough to hear at speed. I like to hear my engine in the twisties.

If you do what I did, plus a second tube into the cat chamber and a larger outlet it would be for sure. As it is the change is modest but definitely an improvement
2015 Matte Grey

• Premium Member
Ok, sound test 2 was gooder (worth doing me thinks). I like the sound at idle, but I hear the intake noise before the exhaust when revving it up. Maybe it was the height of the camera mic?
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Ok, sound test 2 was gooder (worth doing me thinks). I like the sound at idle, but I hear the intake noise before the exhaust when revving it up. Maybe it was the height of the camera mic?

Could be that....turns out there's a reason most sound clips of exhaust systems are crummy and don't sound proper. Because it's harder than you'd think! LOL
Anyway, hope it kinda gets the idea across.
2015 Matte Grey

;) YES, that's better, no fan! That sounds great for stock modified V1! What's on for V2? Carbon tip? Bigger outlet? Play with the guts one more time?
C'mon papac! Get the grinder out!

It will be a while perhaps, after I get a chance to ride it as is. V2 would be a bigger outlet. V2.5 might mean opening it back up and adding another opening to the cat chamber. See how it goes
2015 Matte Grey

Nice write up and investigation papac2000, keep us up to date with your results, very interesting.  I'm also interested in the power curves below 5000rpm.  Often any modifications to the stock exhaust cause a drop in performance in the low to mid range.  Since this is the area we mostly ride in, any negative results there could change the mega positive performance we get with the stock system.  Can you do a dyno with a full rpm spread 0-11,000?

Thread added to How To Index.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Honestly I usually start my pulls from 4 or 5K. I tested this version and from 4000 up til 10,000 there was no loss in tq and a gain of a whopping 1hp. I am not after making power, but yeah I don't want to hurt tq either. On the hunt now for a piece of stainless tubing about 1.75in OD for a bigger outlet....can't help it.

2015 Matte Grey