Inside the FJ muffler

papac2000

I've opened the outlet to 2in and added another hole to the divider from the cat chamber to the rear chamber. Big results! Will follow up with new idle/rev sound check vids and dyno vid/chart. Extremely pleased with the results and will not be making further revisions.

20150228_123020_zpsycdtslp5.jpg

2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

FJ 09 MT 09 Tracer exhaust mod V2.0:
Will detail more about the new mods but heres the sound check. Comments?
Oh, and for what it's worth. 112whp/68wtq now :)
Just a listening note: sounds best on PC speakers or headphones. On my mobilephone speaker you don't get the proper effect
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

http://photobucket.com/share/links?u=http%3A%2F%2Fs1380.photobucket.com%2Fuser%2FPapaC2000%2Fmedia%2FMobile%2520Uploads%2F20150228_131322_zpsrdloeyt2.jpg.html

For the life of me I cannot embed from mobile. Can a mod fix for me?
20150228_131322_zpsrdloeyt2.jpg

Thanks. Overlay of V1 and V2 dyno runs.
2015 Matte Grey

;) Papac! certainly sounds raspier & deeper!
So, please detail what you did from V1. 2" outlet? Did you have to modify the end cover?
Well done!
Cheers,
Steve

End cover is unchanged. I carefully cut behind the second weld and slid the original outlet tube out of the bulbous shaped area at the rear of the muffler. The 2in pipe needed to be squished some at one end to make it more oval to pass through the decorative cover. I left the lower bracket that the cover mounts to but cut the upper one off and transferred it to the new outlet. I have also "breached" a hole into the cat chamber about 1 1/2in by 3/4in. I did not want to open the panel again. If I was to do this all again I would holesaw a 1 3/8 or 1 1/2in hole into the cat chamber and insert a section of tube salvaged from the "s" bend. Judging from the power gain, there is a lot of pent up pressure in that middle chamber!
2015 Matte Grey

20150228_121609_zpst173otqe.jpg
View of new outlet. I left the lower mounting bracket attached to the muffler and cut the two standoff "legs" right at the original outlet pipe. This way the outlet cover could be slipped back in place and used to make sure everything is in the right place. This also allows you to bolt the cover in place once the new outlet is installed and then you can use the hole on the top to mark the position of the center of the top mounting tab. Hope this helps.
Oh.... and please no comments on the weld quality. If they were in a more visible spot I would have had someone else do them. Its not my trade...lol. I had a friend take a crack at welding the outlet (I did the top panel) and it was no better.
2015 Matte Grey

• Premium Member
I assume the "Cut here" weld cut removes the two pieces, discards the inner piece, and you rewelded on a bigger piece? Ah, I see in the latest photo all pieces are removed and the new 2" piece is welded on using the old tabs to mount the cover.
The "Extra Hole here", does that just open up to the inner chamber, or do you drill all the way through the cat to the other side?
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I assume the "Cut here" weld cut removes the two pieces, discards the inner piece, and you rewelded on a bigger piece? Ah, I see in the latest photo all pieces are removed and the new 2" piece is welded on using the old tabs to mount the cover. The "Extra Hole here", does that just open up to the inner chamber, or do you drill all the way through the cat to the other side?

Correct. Just open a hole to the center chamber. In fact if you wanted you could use a short section of the s pipe to put a tube like the existing one into the chamber...but not necessary. Cat is lower down and to the right in the picture. You can kind of see a bluish circular pattern from the heat of it.
2015 Matte Grey

• Premium Member
Ok, new question (I love this thread!): If one were to simply cut at the second weld, remove the outer tube, and use a dremel to cut off the inner tube as far up as possible, and somehow add another hole through the inner chamber (use the access from the second weld cut), and reweld on the new 2 inch piece, do you think that would yield the same results without having to cut the top off?
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Ok, new question (I love this thread!): If one were to simply cut at the second weld, remove the outer tube, and use a dremel to cut off the inner tube as far up as possible, and somehow add another hole through the inner chamber (use the access from the second weld cut), and reweld on the new 2 inch piece, do you think that would yield the same results without having to cut the top off?

There were folks who tried a similar tactic on the FZ. Not sure how much success you would find getting the inner pipe cut back very far with such restricted access. I'm sure it would yield some increase in sound. I was just now thinking that there should be some kind of disclaimer on this thread....try this at your own risk etc.
2015 Matte Grey

To clarify:when you cut behind the second weld, the inner pipe remains connected unless you cut all the way through the outer and inner. If you cut all the way through, there would be very little space between the two pipes. I believe I saw somewhere online where an FZ owner cut at the 3rd weld where the bulbous section attaches to the main muffler body, this would allow more working room perhaps, but I can't say how it would work out. It may not allow you to leave the lower bracket in place during the process either. You would also have to reweld the bulbous section back on after. I used a cutoff wheel to open the top of the main body. It gives you so much more room to work.
2015 Matte Grey

Added some photos to earlier posts since I finally figured out my issues with embedding on my phone. (Default browser no workie...Chrome much gooder)

Cheers,
Chris
2015 Matte Grey