Inside the FJ muffler

papac2000

:oWhat did you get Papac? I didn't.
I'd be shot at work if I measured off the computer screen. 3D CAD & CAM for us!
Since the piece I am holding in the picture is a known entity, and we have a diameter measurement for that....he used that as the dimension for the opening from where it was cut off at the baffle. He then used the ratio posted to extrapolate the length it protrudes from the baffle. Not perfect perhaps, but there is some room for error here. At this point, since I am NOT cutting it all back apart again, there are a few choice for those who choose to replicate this mod. 

Choice 1: Cut the top open and follow the procedure as I did it
Choice 2: Use the approximate dimensions derived from the sketches to do the "less invasive surgery" method and document to be the guinea pig and improve the community.
Choice 3: Wait until someone else does it and posts exact dimensions.

Have fun with it! Looking forward to someone's improved (prettier) version of this and their real world impressions of the sound first-hand, and riding impressions (as we still have too much damn snow).
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

FJ 09 / MT 09 Tracer dyno 112whp:

Sorry for the poor quality...had to d/l it from FB.
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

• 2 weeks later...
Guest eatpasta
:oWhat did you get Papac? I didn't.
I'd be shot at work if I measured off the computer screen. 3D CAD & CAM for us!
Since the piece I am holding in the picture is a known entity, and we have a diameter measurement for that....he used that as the dimension for the opening from where it was cut off at the baffle. He then used the ratio posted to extrapolate the length it protrudes from the baffle. Not perfect perhaps, but there is some room for error here. At this point, since I am NOT cutting it all back apart again, there are a few choice for those who choose to replicate this mod. 

Choice 1: Cut the top open and follow the procedure as I did it
Choice 2: Use the approximate dimensions derived from the sketches to do the "less invasive surgery" method and document to be the guinea pig and improve the community.
Choice 3: Wait until someone else does it and posts exact dimensions.

Have fun with it! Looking forward to someone's improved (prettier) version of this and their real world impressions of the sound first-hand, and riding impressions (as we still have too much damn snow).

maybe when you're done and you're satisfied with the outcome, you could sit down and do a step by step with diagrams for people who desperately want to do this mod, but dont necessarily want to have to wade through this entire thread.
      then you could go back and edit your first post and drop in all the knowledge and then obviously if people want, they can read the rest of the thread

friday_zpszdqtroie.gif

If someone attempts the suggested "less invasive" method, perhaps they could do a step by step HOW-TO. I guess my mod can serve as the pioneering groundwork for a prettier, more easily replicated method. The suggestions are there for how it could be improved upon for less cutting etc, and it would be better to use that new version IMO. I am more than happy with the results, both power gains and sound. YMMV
2015 Matte Grey

• 2 weeks later...
Best of luck! A smaller cutoff disc tool may allow more precise cuts, if you can get one. Will be watching your progress with interest.
2015 Matte Grey

Best of luck! A smaller cutoff disc tool may allow more precise cuts, if you can get one. Will be watching your progress with interest.
I have other tools also. That was just a quick pic to show my "intentions" !  
For Steve: haha.gif

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

This is a very rough sketch of what's inside the cat/muffler, before and after i'm done. papac2000 style.
( internal pipes laid out beside each other for clarity )

muffler.jpg

No turning back now. Made the cuts...

exhaust2.jpgexhaust2.jpgexhaust2.jpg

Aha!

exhaust3.jpg

This upper tube extends into the cat chamber aprox 2-3". Cat off to the right inside 1" back from wall.

exhaust4.jpg

exhaust5.jpg

Some measurements...

exhaust7.jpg

exhaust6.jpg

exhaust8.jpg

exhaust9.jpg

exhaust10.jpg

S pipe cut out... getting dark, that's all for today.

exhaust11.jpg

At this point, this is at stage 1, stage 2 will to be to cut off the exhaust tip and add a 2" diameter one. And drill another hole to the right of upper pipe. 1-1.5"?

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic