Inside the FJ muffler

papac2000

If I was to do it all over again, I would use a small straight piece harvested from the "S" pipe and kinda duplicate the existing one that goes into the cat chamber. Its about 1.5in OD, but around 1.375in inside. It's an idea I wish I had tried.
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

I don't really know. I wonder if it helps set up a flow path by straightening the bouncing waves into a column? And it looks cooler....
All I got is BS guesses here, but so was the method I used in the first place. It certainly wouldn't be critical if you did it either way.
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

Ok, next installment:

Cut off upper bezel bracket. Save for reuse later.

exhaust12.jpg

Cut free the two lower mounts by cutting thru at the top and sides, prying outward then cutting at bottom. I will clean up the inside faces later before rewelding on new 2" tailpipe.

exhaust13.jpg

Cut off tailpipe and remove, taking inner remnant of "S" pipe with it.

exhaust14.jpg

exhaust15.jpg

Drill pilot hole for holesaw.

exhaust16.jpgexhaust16.jpg

Drill thru, being careful not to go too deep and hit the cat. ( I shortened pilot bit to make sure )

exhaust17.jpg

Tada! One new hole to release more gooder sounds and a bit of pressure. See the cat? !

exhaust18.jpg

Remnant of "S" pipe fits perfectly in the new hole. ( Hey papac2000, what do you think if I welded it in like this??? !! )

The plan is to cut it to length like the pipe next to it, making 2 exits from the cat.

exhaust19.jpg

I picked up a length of 2" O.D. stainless tubing today after work. Next time i'll fashion a new tailpipe, then weld it all up!

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

Very nice, Ty. You have done a much more complete and thorough documentation of the process. I vote yours becomes the new reference! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
2015 Matte Grey

Very nice, Ty. You have done a much more complete and thorough documentation of the process. I vote yours becomes the new reference! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Thx! 
Several members asked for more pics, drawings, and documentation when you did yours. I'm trying to oblige. :)

But hey, i'm just copying your pioneering efforts on this. You the man! thumbup111.gif

Ty

Your time and contribution gentlemen is epic. Thank you papac2000 for your pioneering efforts and especially showing the dyno run to substantiate those efforts. Not only did you get the sound closer to your liking but proved your modification is in fact an asset to performance. Thank you also b12ty for the follow up and detail thus far in your modification. I'd venture to bet you both get PM about modifying others.
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

• Premium Member
Great work Ty. Now lets put it on my bike and you can do another cut job for yours??
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Great work Ty. Now lets put it on my bike and you can do another cut job for yours??

What are friends for after all?
2015 Matte Grey

Got a lot done today.

Cut a remnant of old S pipe and fit it to second hole I drilled into the cat chamber.

exhaust22.jpg

Cleaned up the inside faces and bent/widened the mounting tabs for new tail pipe.

exhaust20.jpg

I cut a new tailpipe out of 2" O.D. stainless tubing, using stock one as a template.

exhaust21.jpg

Fit new tailpipe to muffler.

exhaust23.jpg

Check fit by screwing on bezel with the 2 screws underneath. When screws go in smoothly, and pipe protrudes centered in opening you're there. ( you will have to crush pipe slightly oval at end to fit thru bezel. )

exhaust24.jpg

Tack welding.....

exhaust25.jpg

All welded up. Upper bezel mount was cut to 1/2" tall and lined up with the bezel.

exhaust26.jpg

All three screws should go in, and bezel opening centered...took some time to get this all fitted and welded, but worth it.

exhaust27.jpg

Cover tack welded in place.

exhaust29.jpg

All welding finished! I had difficulty with the muffler case material. It would burn thru REALLY easily. I ended up welding it in short bursts, letting it cool for a second in between. Doesn't look too pretty, but it's tight!

exhaust30.jpg

Ready to go back on the bike. Tomorrow I hope to get it installed and hopefully get a test ride and a vid soon. I'm so excited to fire it up and see what it sounds like!

( if it sounds like crap, i'm going to ride up to papac2000's house and  paddle.gif  paddle.gif  ..... just kidding! )

Ty

Excellent documentation. Nice looking finished product too! Can't wait for the review and vid if you get one.

Pretty sure you'll like the sound...
2015 Matte Grey

• Premium Member
Nice work Ty. We missed you today. I guess you were working on the exhaust? Wore me out trying to keep up with David, John, John (backslider), and Attila. The ride had a really fast pace. David almost wore through his boot to his foot. Those boots aren't long for the world.
Now that you have had the practice with welding, when shall we do mine? blbl_zpsvi6inrfd.gif

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Hey Lewis, by the time you guys met up for your ride i'd already been to Newcombs for breakfast and back home again! Took the Suzuki...

Busy weekend, but I finished up the exhaust ( and tail light, but that's another thread. )

exhaust31.jpg

exhaust32.jpg

How does it sound?

Idle: A lot louder, low pitched, slightly boomy sounding in helmet.

Around town: Sounds great, not too loud unless you get on it, then it growls. Can finally hear the engine when going over 40mph!

Freeway: Does not drone, just loud enough to let you know it's there.

Roll on: Once again, growls, not high pitched, throaty.

Higher RPM revving: Sounds sweet, a nice triple sounding muted roar?!!

Power: It definitely increased the power a bit. Let's just say the front wheel gets very light more easily.

I will say more once I have a chance to take it to the twisties, but I know i'm gonna love it! wub.png

Here's a quick vid I made. Unless you have good speakers or a sub woofer, you wont hear the low notes. It sounds higher pitched than it is.

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqLSGt5mJVw]

I will try to post some fly bys in a video this coming week.

Ty

;)Great work Ty!
So, you didn't cut your O2 sensor wire off then?
You & Papac have pioneered the work for a budget do it yourself pipe work!
1 question I asked Papac, could you have added a little bit more of the cut off pipe including the bend when you added it to your new hole to point it out towards the outlet? Like the photo you asked Papac about?
Would you get the required back pressure?
Other than that query, great work you two!
Cheers,
Steve