What brand of aftermarket seat are you running?

That's interesting i did not know that Corbin would do that, then again all the Corbin seats i've had in the past were obtained pre-owned. The thing i hear about them often is that there customer service is somewhat poor. In fact the Corbin that i have on my Buell S3T Thunderbolt i bought cheap because the PO had a bad experience with the fit on his bike and getting Corbin to make it right.

I know what you mean about the stock seat on the FJ. The stock seats on my Buell XB12R and 1125R were just as poor. The OEM's must have some kind of back-door deals with the aftermarket seat companies as many bikes have poor stock seats. The only exception i can think of is the stock seat on my Triumph Sprint GT 1050. That seat is very nice and comfy. Thank you for your reply.

2019 Tracer 900 GT. 2022 MT-09SP. 2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt. 2016 FJ-09 SOLD. 2019 XSR900 SOLD.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know what sadists they have in the seat engineering dept. at Yamaha but the stock seat is horrible. 
Strange - this has never been suggested before... ;)

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• 2 weeks later...
Lots of good information here. My question is do these all add height? I am 5'9" and wouldn't want a higher seat than stock but more comfortable would be fantastic. :)
No, I think the Sargent is actually is about the same as stock.  The Seat concepts looks about the same as stock too.  The Corbin does add height though.  You're pretty much stuck with it in the "high" position.  I'm the same height as you (somewhere between 5'8-5'9") and the height of the Corbin hasn't really bothered me.  

I ended up scoring a Sargent world sport seat (front only) and have ridden on it 3 or 4 times now. It is very comfortable and suits my needs perfectly. I am around 5' 9" and ride with the seat on the lowest setting. What's nice about the Sargent seat is that it's 1/2" shorter than the stock seat so to me that was an advantage to touch the ground easier. Some people do not like the fact that you are able to move around easy on this seat. For me my recently purchased FJ-09 is my "fun bike" replacement to my sold Buell 1125R so i am not really touring with it yet. When i am on the highway or just cruising i sit towards the rear of the seat in the "bucketed" area. When the time comes to carve up corners i can easily slide forward into a more aggressive riding position. I hope this helps somebody make a decision on their choice of seat.

2019 Tracer 900 GT. 2022 MT-09SP. 2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt. 2016 FJ-09 SOLD. 2019 XSR900 SOLD.

• 2 weeks later...
So i am a new member and FJ-09 owner. I just picked up low mileage new to me 2016 FJ-09 Raven yesterday. I rode it all afternoon and put 160 miles on it. I must tell you that i love the bike but the stock seat is garbage so i am already looking into aftermarket options. Yamaha has their own line of comfort seats i see but it looks like it is purchased as a pair. The FJ is not going to be a 2-up rider for me so i do not need to upgrade the passenger seat. I see that Corbin makes a full one piece seat, i've had corbins on all my Buell's and they are nice. Sargent looks like a good option because it can be purchased as a front only for around $300. I had a Saddleman gel seat on my Buell 1125R and loved it but it does not look like Saddleman offers a seat for the FJ-09 yet. Please bounce your opinions at me on what your favorite seat is. 

When I first got the FJ09, I could not stand the OEM seat for more than one hour. On the tenere I had before, seat was much better. Yet I can tell, after 6 months of riding it, you get used to the OEM .

• 1 month later...
Stock seat, but I just got a sheepskin bttpad with viseolastic gel insert. Rode it today, and I'm a happy man. I've had several bikes, most with Sargeant seats, but the best is the buttpad. I can usually ride all day, and its a whole lot cheaper

• 1 month later...
I've got a corbin. I bought mine used. I'm undecided if I like it. In order to sit back in the 'pan' I have to really stretch my arms out and lean like a sportbike. I prefer to keep my 'nuts on the tank' when riding so I find myself in the narrow portion of the seat most frequently.

'15 FJ09

Effing hate the stock seat , on Wednesday rode about 280 Ks . had to stop after every 70 Ks and give my ass a break .
Just ordered a stock front and back seat on Ebay and will do mods on that seat until i get it rite , the back seat i will permanently mount the Nelson Rigg Dual Sport Touring Motorcycle Tail Pack Bag CL-1060-ST and when i need it just change out the back seat .
Pictures to follow when i do the mods .

Effing hate the stock seat , on Wednesday rode about 280 Ks . had to stop after every 70 Ks and give my ass a break . 

Strange - this has never been mentioned here before.... ;)

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member

Strange - this has never been mentioned here before.... wink.png
Probably the weather. :) 

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Strange - this has never been mentioned here before.... wink.png
Probably the weather. smiley.png 

Of all the many adverse comments here about the stock seat, the one I liked best was that it is so horrendously painful that ISIS had rejected as an instrument of torture on grounds that it is too extreme.    Which I thought was a bit unfair - on ISIS...

Archived