Torque Values, Fluid Types/Quantities, Frequently Used

ULEWZ

• Premium Member
Oil filter?
Snug, or you will never get it off again. Official torque is 12 lb ft (17Nm), and good luck with that. 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Oil filter?
Snug, or you will never get it off again. Official torque is 12 lb ft (17Nm), and good luck with that.
When I called my service dept. to verify the torque requirements, the tech I talked to basically said to just snug it down hand tight (and not by using the full length leverage of the wrench).  I grip close to the socket and just make sure it's snugged well without trying to muscle it.  I do the same for the drain bolt.  The tech also mentioned that the drain bolt crush washer is good for 2-3 uses max before it must be replaced.  I'll replace it every other oil change to be safe.

• Premium Member
The tech also mentioned that the drain bolt crush washer is good for 2-3 uses max before it must be replaced.  I'll replace it every other oil change to be safe.

They're cheap so I try to replace them every time, but if I forget to order one (happens occasionally) I'll reuse the existing one without a second thought rather than waiting on the oil change.

Yamaha says to replace the filter every other oil change, although my practice is to replace that every time too. Unless I screw up and forget to buy the filter tool for the new bike, in which case it goes two. Not I would ever let that happen. Nope. ;)
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• 4 weeks later...
You may want to check it doesn't come loose.

31 ft/lbs on the drain bolt isn't a problem if the washer is new. If you reused the washer (not recommended) and you've already tightened it several times then you may want to back that number down slightly.
But I don't know if I would feel comfortable with 15

Skip

ULEWZ, torque spec for rear calipers? BTW, EBC pad part #s are: FA252HH (x2) for fronts, FA174HH for rear in the sintered pads. Ordered my service manual, but it's not in yet.
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

• Premium Member
I use the K&N oil filters. They come with a 17mm nut welded to the end. Makes removal easy!
I use the same filter with the welded nut, makes life much easier in the end! 

I'll make sure that when hospice eventually arrives, they will bring a K&N filter to make life easier in the end.  ;)

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
Make sure you don't over tighten the oil drain plug, I guess I did and pulled all the aluminums threads. FML- Helli coil repair kit 70.00, new oil 65.00. What a expensive lesson learned.
Hey josh I've done the same thing. Need to invest in a good torque wrench ???? .  Could you tell me which helli coil kit you used?

I own a very fine torque wrench indeed, but unless I'm doing internal motor work - not much of that nowadays, I go with my calibrated hands, wrists, and forearms. The idea for all bolts is to snug them down and then give it just a pinch more so that the bolt is stretched just a wee bit. I'm *especially* careful with mating dissimilar metals and generally use either anti-seize or thread locker depending upon the application.

In 45 years of riding and wrenching, I've had precious few bolts come loose, nor have I stripped more than a small handful. But then again, I don't ride Harleys and other such bikes that have paint shaker motors...

-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

Make sure you don't over tighten the oil drain plug, I guess I did and pulled all the aluminums threads. FML- Helli coil repair kit 70.00, new oil 65.00. What a expensive lesson learned.
Hey josh I've done the same thing. Need to invest in a good torque wrench ???? .  Could you tell me which helli coil kit you used?
I have a torque wrench I just failed to use it.The thread size is M14X1.5Helli-coil part number 5544-14 and it comes with 3 or 4 inserts.