Torque Values, Fluid Types/Quantities, Frequently Used

ULEWZ

• Premium Member

I have a torque wrench I just failed to use it.The thread size is M14X1.5Helli-coil part number 5544-14 and it comes with 3 or 4 inserts.
Thanks , I've opted to go ahead and replace with the updated 2016 strainer cover (oil pan). 

• 2 weeks later...
For which bags? The Yamaha removable "city" cases?

Those mounting bolts torque to 25 ft lbs, if the rear luggage rack is installed.

Inside the tail, for the mounts for the luggage: m6 bolts 7.2 ft lbs, m8 bolt is 21 ft lbs, corresponding nut is 16 ft.

If yours are loose, you may want to call your dealer. I've heard there is a tech bulletin from Yamaha about excessive movement from the saddlebag mounts and how to tighten things up.

Skip

For which bags? The Yamaha removable "city" cases? 
Those mounting bolts torque to 25 ft lbs, if the rear luggage rack is installed.

Inside the tail, for the mounts for the luggage: m6 bolts 7.2 ft lbs, m8 bolt is 21 ft lbs, corresponding nut is 16 ft.

If yours are loose, you may want to call your dealer. I've heard there is a tech bulletin from Yamaha about excessive movement from the saddlebag mounts and how to tighten things up.

Skip
I was actually looking for the spec for the stock plastic slots that come on the bike without the rear rack. I am going to assume it is the same though I can't see a reason why it would be different. 

Oh ok. Those are slightly less, actually (without the rack. )
20ft lbs I believe.

S
I ended up tightening them to 30ft lbs yesterday so they should be good to go (added loctite too). I also had one of the button heads on the tank trim was a little loose. I tried to remove it and it went immediately to swiss cheese ;-| . I ordered 4 extras PN 90111-05007-00. Luckily my local dealer was able to order them with their regular order as it is a part number that has been used on motorcycles and boat motors for years. 

Oh ok. Those are slightly less, actually (without the rack. )
20ft lbs I believe.

S
I ended up tightening them to 30ft lbs yesterday so they should be good to go (added loctite too). I also had one of the button heads on the tank trim was a little loose. I tried to remove it and it went immediately to swiss cheese ;-| . I ordered 4 extras PN 90111-05007-00. Luckily my local dealer was able to order them with their regular order as it is a part number that has been used on motorcycles and boat motors for years.
Good learning technic.  Trial and error.  Good luck, keep up the good work.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Fellow FJ 09ers, I've come to the conclusion that just about every bolt on this bike (any bike) needs to be given a dose of loctite and a good retorquing. If the button heads on the trim's 1/4 turn fasteners get loose, check the clip they lock into. It's the usual suspect...
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

• Premium Member
Fellow FJ 09ers, I've come to the conclusion that just about every bolt on this bike (any bike) needs to be given a dose of loctite and a good retorquing. If the button heads on the trim's 1/4 turn fasteners get loose, check the clip they lock into. It's the usual suspect...
Interesting, I've not had any issues with bolts, screws or nuts coming loose at all. 
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• Premium Member
My other bike is a 2009 HD XR1200. That I have put 45,000 miles on since Oct 2011. IMAG1454_zpscb71fli5.jpg
The idea that more fasteners could fall off my FJ then that thing is hysterical.....
Here is an example of the issues you face with that American bike.... :o   >:D
20160107_145238_zpsxlxzs0th.jpg

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
I have had the windshield adjustment knobs back out. Thankfully there is a clip at the end of the threaded part that keeps the knob from falling off. Something to check often. From the riders perspective the windshield knob on the left is the one that has the three positions to lock the knob into. That knob has been the one that backs out. The L bracket that is part of the assembly will rattle around if the knob is loose. Other than that I haven't had any other loose parts. It's always good to go over nuts n bolts periodically. I try to do that with my service intervals.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

• Premium Member
Hate to be an HD apologist, but isn't that a German exhaust that came apart in that picture? 
Kinda hard to blame HD for an aftermarket exhaust failure.
Kinda German. (Austria) Remus Revolution Exhaust Silencer

Revolution is a high performance silencer from the Austrian Sport Exhaust manufacturing experts Remus
That was just a picture of one of the latest "issues" I've traveled a bunch on it and with other HD riders, fasteners and other things falling off is a common HD problem.. Lol.
That little tail bag is full of spare stuff out of necessity... :))

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
I have had the windshield adjustment knobs back out. Thankfully there is a clip at the end of the threaded part that keeps the knob from falling off. Something to check often. From the riders perspective the windshield knob on the left is the one that has the three positions to lock the knob into. That knob has been the one that backs out. The L bracket that is part of the assembly will rattle around if the knob is loose. Other than that I haven't had any other loose parts. It's always good to go over nuts n bolts periodically. I try to do that with my service intervals.
There's a perfect fix for those windscreen knobs.  
http://fj-09.org/thread/963/loose-windshield-adjusters-simple-fix
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000