DIY FJ-09 Touring Windscreen

redfjniner

uhls06d.jpg

DIY Windscreen

First, you have to have an old windscreen off another bike. I used a FJR touring windscreen from Yamaha. I picked this up at the FJR Forum for sale adds and paid $40 years ago. I have used it on three bikes before and so it is full of holes where I mounted it to the different bikes. I figured it would still work.

Take the windscreen and hold it against the rubber well nuts that will provide the support. If it fits flush and also comes in contact with the two support arms, you are in business. Just so happens, the FJR curves work perfect. The following is what I did, you may want to design yours different.

I hand held the windscreen up against the stock screen and marked it with a red sharpie where I wanted to cut it down to fit and look good. The first line (1) was at the bottom to match the angle of the nose. The second (2) lines were angled up to match the angle of the fairing outside edge. The third (3) line was across the top to match that of the stock screen. The forth (4) lines were on the top sides mimicking the weird hammer like wings of the OEM. The last lines (5) just connected the top to the bottom. I put blue masking tape on the screen to ID the edges or to draw on. Here is the working screen taped and marked up and the saber saw also taped on the bottom.

Srswh7w.jpg  9vd6FOF.jpg

Note. I placed the windscreen on a low surface so I would be pushing down on it. I used some old towels to allow for the curvature of the screen and to provide a soft cushion under my pushing pressure. Make sure you push down on the saber saw so it doesn't rise up. If it raises up it will jump up and down and can cause the shield to crack. Try to keep the saw in contact at the point of the blade. I used a medium tooth wood saw blade normally used for smooth cuts on wood. You do not want a very course blade as it will leave a rough edge and you don't want a fine tooth as it will heat up and melt the plastic. Not good.

After doing the rough cutting, I held the unit screen against the well nuts and marked the centers to drill holes. Take a drill bit smaller than the hole you are going to drill and do a pilot hole as the larger bit can wander. After drilling the mounting holes attach the screen to the well nuts, then take the bike out for a test ride. I was very excited because the test ride was a two thumbs up experience, especially with the screen in the up position. It produced a nice quite zone and no buffeting.
 Here is a picture showing the new and OEM together and showing that the new is 4 1/4" taller.

cSJYIQk.jpg  DSSe0Ks.jpg

Last work is to smooth the edges and make any adjustments to even out the left and right side. I use a cloth tape measure to measure all the lines and distances to try and get it all looking symetrical. I used a belt sander and a rasp to do the major smoothing. First to make straight lines straight, then to smooth out the curves, and last the edges. I use a fine file to smooth some more and finish with a fine sanding sponge block to round it off and even the rounding out. Clean and polish all edges. Don't forget to ease the hole edges to make sure there isn't and chips or sharp edges. That is it and it should be ready for use. Here are some pics of my finished windscreen on my first ride with it.

Down position left, up is right:
RTDM2Q6.jpg JttEUdq.jpg

Edge Angles left and side view right:
42KZ7ZK.jpg dyOPsT6.jpg

This design will not work with the stock handguards.  I was going to cut it down, but after about 1000 miles of using it, I decided to not cut it down because it work so well I don't want to take the chance of lessening its usefulness. (added 3/5/2015)

WindscreenDemo.jpg.0498935e8ecee47332480a485ef5968f.jpg

Windscreen met it's demise in 2017, deer crash in Montana.  I looked for another FJR Touring windscreen to replace it but had no luck.  I went ahead and bought a National VStream mid height sport touring screen.  It works fine, not as good as this one, and  use it in the lowest position, which ended up at the same height as this custom made unit.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Nice job, it looks good too. Any buffeting as there is not a cutout like the CalSci model?Does it whistle through the empty holes?
From my post:  "I was very excited because the test ride was a two thumbs up experience, especially with the screen in the up position. It produced a nice quite zone and no buffeting." 
Not scienctific but it works and looks good, except for its age and prior uses.

I wear ear plugs, can't hear any whistling.

Anyone want one of these? I don't think any of the aftermarket look this good and I could check out how much it would cost to have them made. I have noted that the aftermarket and Yamaha touring windscreens are about 6" taller than stock. Mine, as shown is 4 1/4" taller and that seems to work good for me, I'm 5-8 with a 31" inseam. When I raised up, it seamed like I was good for another 1" or so, so someone 5-10 may start to get to tall. If I put it in the lowest position, about -2" it put the wind at my faceshield and the noise about doubles, but it is much better for the corners and will work in the summer for touring. For summer riding around home, I will install the OEM as I like it and the amount of air it allow to pass to the helmet area and also the body. Being that Yamaha used WELL NUTS and only 4, it makes changing the windscreen very easy.

Note:   This design does not work with the handguards on.

• 4 months later...
I really like the sound of this, i have removed the handguards anyway as the lack of air makes my hands sweat too much, i was wondering if there was a wider screen that would fit the Tracer & this seems ideal.
Time to look on Ebay!

• 4 months later...
Nice job. I used my old FJR windscreen on my VSTROM with a madstad adapter. I also had extra holes from the FJR mouinting and filled them silicone and smoothed them out. They stayed in there and were still good when I sold the bike. I do have an extra screen still so I might give this a try.
Barender

Nice job. I used my old FJR windscreen on my VSTROM with a madstad adapter. I also had extra holes from the FJR mouinting and filled them silicone and smoothed them out. They stayed in there and were still good when I sold the bike. I do have an extra screen still so I might give this a try. Barender

I now have over 25,000 miles on the FJ and still feel the modified FJR Touring (Yamaha accessory unit made by National) that I used and still using turned out as good as any unit I could buy.  Good luck with what ever you do.

that looks great! I actually like the stock wind guards, not as warm as those hippo hands you have but work better than anything I have used on other bikes for wind/rain blocking. I have a Givi, off a V Strom, I might work on this winter for summer trips though.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• 10 months later...
Which generation FJR touring screen did you use?
Gen 1, but I think a Gen 2 would also work.  After my deer crash in August, I found two Gen 2's for sale and went ahead and said I would buy them both only to have the seller back out.  Been looking since and haven't found any so just last week went ahead and ordered a Sport Touring V Stream by National.  I kept the damaged unit to use as a template and will use if the V Steam doesn't work. 
note the dim. on the V Stream as it is indicated on the National site that  the rise above the tank is 15.75" (40.0cm),  Overall Height: 20.50" (52.0cm) and Width: 16.00" (40.6cm).  

My DIY Touring windshield rose above the tank 15.5" and was 18.5" tall and 18" wide at the widest and 16" at the top.  It also was notched at the bottom center, and if the sides had continued down they would have made the height: 21".  

4869685.jpg

Being that the dimensions were all most the same, 15.75 vs 15.5 and 16 vs 18, I am assuming that in general they should work about the same.  If National actually engineered the V Stream, it should work better.  We will see next week when I get the new one.  I might note that my eyes are right at 3.5" above the windscreen top.  I am 5-8, so if you were 6-3 your eyes would be higher, like 3.5" higher = 7" above the windscreen.  Will not work the same for you and you would need to buy one that is even higher.  V Steams come in a Touring version that is 17.25" above the tank, or about 1.75" higher.  If you are 6-3, it would not do as good a job, as your eyes would be around 5" above the windscreen.  Good luck finding a windscreen, and hopefully you try to do a DIY unit that you can share here.

I have a V-stream on my Gen III FJR and for the most part am satisfied with it. New they are only about $120 so it is not a bad way to go. And I like the thickness of National Cycles stuff along with the hard coating.
SoCal
2015 FJ-09 Red of course :)

• 7 months later...

Archived