First Day Trip - SoCal

woozer

I was very interested in getting the break-in period done quickly, and in a way that was at least somewhat respectful of Yamaha guidance. For anyone in the LA area, this is a fantastic day trip.

Long Beach-Castaic-Lake Hughes Road-Pine Canyon Road-Rt 138-Gorman Post Road-Frazier Park-Lockwood Valley-Ojai-Rt 150-Rt 126-Rt 23-Moorpark-Rt 118 and home. Just under 300 miles all in, a fantastic mid-week run with perfect weather and zero traffic.

The FJ's two immediate predecessors were a Triumph Street Triple R, and a BMW 1150 GS. I think I've discovered the killer app of the BMW's perfect ergos and comfy mile-munching ability, and the Triumph's insane rat-in-a-box power delivery. Couldn't be happier. Off to the dealer for the 600 mile service on Tuesday. Yay!

That sounds great, and similar! I went 2000 SV650S -> Street Triple R -> FJ-09.Ergos: How are the foot pegs for you? I think they are much closer to the STripleR than the Beemer GS.
During that 15 year period I always had 1 or 2 other bikes, a subset of: - Kawasaki: 1996 ZX-6E, 2002 K.LR650- Suzuki: 1997 TL1000S, GS1100G (rehab bike after hitting a deer on SV in 2003)- Honda: 1986 NS400R- Yamaha: WR250X (supermoto, but had 2nd set of wheels/tires for off road.)- Norton: 750 Commando. Some day I'll ride it!
I hope my FJ-09 will be a do-it-all bike for me. Except, I am getting a 2015 KTM 650 Enduro R to satisfy my supermoto and dirt needs. ::)

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

• Premium Member
I was very interested in getting the break-in period done quickly, and in a way that was at least somewhat respectful of Yamaha guidance. For anyone in the LA area, this is a fantastic day trip. 
Long Beach-Castaic-Lake Hughes Road-Pine Canyon Road-Rt 138-Gorman Post Road-Frazier Park-Lockwood Valley-Ojai-Rt 150-Rt 126-Rt 23-Moorpark-Rt 118 and home. Just under 300 miles all in, a fantastic mid-week run with perfect weather and zero traffic.

The FJ's two immediate predecessors were a Triumph Street Triple R, and a BMW 1150 GS. I think I've discovered the killer app of the BMW's perfect ergos and comfy mile-munching ability, and the Triumph's insane rat-in-a-box power delivery. Couldn't be happier. Off to the dealer for the 600 mile service on Tuesday. Yay!
I know those roads very well. That is definitely a full days ride. Didn't you take the 33 somewhere in there, like from Lockwood Valley? You could also try Cerro Noreste next time, which is a fantastic road.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I have never been to California before. I live on the other side of the country! However, this ride you are talking about sounds like a great day trip! I used Google maps to find all of the locations you were referencing. Sounds amazing bud!!

Lockwood Valley, from Frazier Park to Route 33, is like a giant unfolding scene of the Old West. Other than paved road, it could be 150 years ago. Route 33 south to Ojai is one gorgeous panorama after another. At one point about 2/3 of the way along you come out on a ridge where you can park and see the next sinuously twisty 5 or 10 miles that you'll be riding in a few minutes. Just spectacular.

That sounds great, and similar! I went 2000 SV650S -> Street Triple R -> FJ-09.Ergos: How are the foot pegs for you? I think they are much closer to the STripleR than the Beemer GS.
Yes, very much more like Stripple, not so much like the Bavarian blunderbuss.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
OK! dOING PART OF THAT RIDE THIS SATURDAY! 58-33-166 HUDSON RANCH RD (USED TO BE SIERRA NOSTRE) LOCKWOOD VALLEY TO 33 (STOPING AT THE PLACE ON 33 FOR REFRESHMENTS) 166 TO 101 & PISMO BEACH!!!
Cerro Noroeste actually. Love that road. Stop at Boccalis for lunch. linky 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
OK! dOING PART OF THAT RIDE THIS SATURDAY! 58-33-166 HUDSON RANCH RD (USED TO BE SIERRA NOSTRE) LOCKWOOD VALLEY TO 33 (STOPING AT THE PLACE ON 33 FOR REFRESHMENTS) 166 TO 101 & PISMO BEACH!!!
Cerro Noroeste actually. Love that road. Stop at Boccalis for lunch. linky
If you're going up 58 you should do an out and back on 229, Webster Rd AKA Rossi's Driveway.  What made the engineer design that road to curve like that rather than grade it flat and straight I have no idea, but I worship at his feet for doing it. 
I loved both 58 (the twisty parts, anyway) and 229.  Two of my favorite roads of my Cali trip.  My original plan was to take 33 all the way to Ojai, but I ran out of time.

166 was fast and flowing with a lot of trucks, disappointing relative to the roads to the north, but it did have a high point where the Cali trooper didn't even blink an eye as he appeared over the top of a rise while I was in decel after a 6-vehicle pass.  :D  That was the only time I saw a motorcycle (a BMW, I think an R1200R or possibly R1200C) holding up traffic.

I wish I could remember the name of the Mexican place I stopped at in Taft, it was awesome, but then again we East Coasters are starved for good Mexican food so perhaps they're all awesome.  ;)
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
[...] the Triumph's insane rat-in-a-box power delivery.
Hahahaha!  That is the best description I've ever heard for that motor.  Thanks for the morning laugh! 
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Archived