Brand new bike? Too early to install aftermarket exhaust?

morkys

I can't find what the stock tires are on the Canadian 2017 FJ09. I could call the dealer and ask but I don't think I plan to change them unless I find out I need to. I can't see Yamaha putting crap tires on this bike. Sure they probably won't have the best tires on the bike, but I can't see them installing the worst tires.
2017 FJ-09 - Yoshimura Y-series Exhaust / MRA Sport Screen / Evotech Rad Guard & Fork Sliders / Custom LED Rear Tail Light / Lowering Links / Mirror Extenders / Low Seat / Tail Tidy / Shogun Swingarm Sliders - Touring mods > Madstad 20" screen (on standby) / SHAD SH36 Hard Cases / SW-Motech Rear Alu-rack - Mods not yet installed > Fender Extender - Mods on the way > MT09 Adventure Pegs / Sargent seats / Knuckle Guard leds / Speedtech Photon Flush Mount LED signals / SW Motech Frame Sliders

For what it’s worth I am positive my stock exhaust tone has changed some over this summer as the bike has broken in. Not like an aftermarket exhaust of course but I can actually hear some tone over the sewing machine sound at idle. When I rev at idle or accelerate quickly I can hear it also...just barely over the wind noise but it has changed.

I like the stock exhaust sound but definitely want a deeper louder sound.
2017 FJ-09 - Yoshimura Y-series Exhaust / MRA Sport Screen / Evotech Rad Guard & Fork Sliders / Custom LED Rear Tail Light / Lowering Links / Mirror Extenders / Low Seat / Tail Tidy / Shogun Swingarm Sliders - Touring mods > Madstad 20" screen (on standby) / SHAD SH36 Hard Cases / SW-Motech Rear Alu-rack - Mods not yet installed > Fender Extender - Mods on the way > MT09 Adventure Pegs / Sargent seats / Knuckle Guard leds / Speedtech Photon Flush Mount LED signals / SW Motech Frame Sliders

Do the 2017 benefit from a reflash of the ecu with the Akrapovic? 
Has anybody run the Akrapovic Ti without the Db killer? I realize its not removable without dyi custom work.

Stock tires are that bad? I am sure they aren't the best but I was not aware people disliked them that much.

I will check in the suspension forum for what mods can be done for improvement.
every model year benefits from a flash... as does every bike.  
Yeah, and its properly loud. Louder than my old Tuono with twin baffleless arrows

Stock tyres are okay in the dry but really sketchy in the wet. 

Suspension really is try a set up, if still not satisfied then replace it. 

• 4 weeks later...
I rode mine home from the dealer, all 9km then fitted the carbon Akrapovic the next day.

It's a Jekyll and Hyde system, idle is quiet, and if you keep the revs low it is very civilised but give it a handful and the bark is glorious, although neither are as loud as the 13 year old Akrapovic slip ons on my FZ6, even at idle.

Stock tires are that bad? I am sure they aren't the best but I was not aware people disliked them that much.
They probably aren't but you need to run sensible PSI.

I will check in the suspension forum for what mods can be done for improvement.
Find a comfortable seat and a quiet place. You'll be reading for a while.

Around 200miles... I had my ECU reflashed by 2WDW using Woolich Racing tuning software and race kit since winter was less than a month away which gave me the entire winter to chat with Nels at 2WDW about which exhaust to use, get the tuning harness, etc... since then I been running Graves Exhaust with a ECU tune by 2WDW using Woolich Racing software and race kit... I really need to find out how many FJ-09 owners have LaunchControl...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

I really need to find out how many FJ-09 owners have LaunchControl...
I'm waiting for you to enter your FJ in a 4hr+ WERA/CCS endurance race. Unfortunately the scrutineers won't let you keep the center stand even though (if you could fix the ground clearance) it's perfectly rational to have it for hot-pit rider change and fuel-up where nobody is allowed to touch the bike when the gas is going in. 
Even better if you wear a RoadCrafter suit while doing it. With neon panels of course.

I really need to find out how many FJ-09 owners have LaunchControl...
I'm waiting for you to enter your FJ in a 4hr+ WERA/CCS endurance race. Unfortunately the scrutineers won't let you keep the center stand even though (if you could fix the ground clearance) it's perfectly rational to have it for hot-pit rider change and fuel-up where nobody is allowed to touch the bike when the gas is going in. 
Even better if you wear a RoadCrafter suit while doing it. With neon panels of course.
Maybe use some Shad sidebags to hold extra gas?  So the RoadCrafter suit will pass the scrutineers but not the center stand??? ? 

I guess if I did get around to doing some road racing, it will be a long time till then...till then this little s10 and taking the FJ-09 to the drag strip will keep me occupied for years, next year I will find out if the FJ-09 will need to get a IHRA card...23559872_1782313625406788_9205113656189859320_n.jpg
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Archived