Winter Storage

17a

Dam, it's getting to be that time of year when the bike has to be tucked away for the winter. I have cleaned the bike, done an Oil and filter change and removed the battery. Also the tank is filled completely up with Premium fuel....no stabilizer. My bike will be stored in an unheated garage until probably at least mid April 2018. Temps over the winter may get as low as -30 celcius outside but the garage is attached to my house so probably does not get colder than -10 celcius. I want to make sure all chrome parts are protected against humidity. I am going to put a very light coating of engine oil on a rag and touch up all the chrome bolts etc....Is there something else I should be doing? Was not planning on fogging the cylinders.

Finally, is it better to leave the bike on the side stand or center stand?

Yukon rider here..... you have done what I do here... bike will be fine. My 2015 starts right up after similar winter storage. I leave it on the side stand due to space issues, no problem with the tires in the spring.
Coming to you from the frozen wastelands of the barren north

• Supporting Member
My bike will be stored in an unheated garage until probably at least mid April 2018.
Dang dude, thats the saddest thing I have heard all day.  Where are you located? 
Its only been a week since I last rode mine due to work and weather, I still went out to the garage and sat on her and daydreamed of canyon twisties! ;)   I cant imagine putting her in storage for half of a year!

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Sounds like everything.  I have heard that you should put wood under the rubber is it is sitting on cement or the tires could become cracked as the cement absorbs the moisture out of them.

I also have been told to put a plastic bag over the exhaust with some scented dryer sheets in it, to keep out moisture and mice (I guess the mice don't like the smell?).  Could be an old wives tale.  I did that with my previous bike and I never got mice...  However, it was a KLR so the muffler was 3 feet off the ground.  And I didn't do it for the last 5 years and I still didn't get mice....

Current Ride - 2003 Kawasaki KLR650

• Supporting Member
It’s a diverse world, and I genuinely can’t fathom that concept. While our Texas summers are blisteringly hot, the trade off is a year-round riding season. I got in 350 miles on New Years Day this year, and fully anticipate doing it again this time around.

My bike will be stored in an unheated garage until probably at least mid April 2018.
Dang dude, thats the saddest thing I have heard all day.  Where are you located? 
Its only been a week since I last rode mine due to work and weather, I still went out to the garage and sat on her and daydreamed of canyon twisties! wink.png   I cant imagine putting her in storage for half of a year!

I'm in Eastern Ontario Canada. Getting pretty dang cold to ride these days and lots of wet slippery leaves on the roads. Just bought a Brand New Yamaha Grizzly ATV last week so still riding.

Sounds like everything.  I have heard that you should put wood under the rubber is it is sitting on cement or the tires could become cracked as the cement absorbs the moisture out of them. 
I also have been told to put a plastic bag over the exhaust with some scented dryer sheets in it, to keep out moisture and mice (I guess the mice don't like the smell?).  Could be an old wives tale.  I did that with my previous bike and I never got mice...  However, it was a KLR so the muffler was 3 feet off the ground.  And I didn't do it for the last 5 years and I still didn't get mice....

Not sure about putting plastic bag over the pipe. I would think that would not allow it to breath and would keep condensation in. I am going to block the pipe but will use something that breathes. Good tip about thedryer sheets. I have heard about that before.......and I also have a KLR....great bike.

I also went around the entire bike today and sprayed a bit of Jig-a-Loo on anything shiny, had a hing, spring etc...I was told Jig-a-loo is better than WD40 cause it does not evaporate.

Final thing I will do is put some cardboard under the wheels.

Archived