Winter Storage

17a

• 3 weeks later...
Few days ago I prepared everything for winter sleep. I cleaned it, lubed everything moving, put it on center stand and lifted front wheel too...
But I couldn't help myself, and I went riding yesterday :D I'll have to do it all over again...

Few days ago I prepared everything for winter sleep. I cleaned it, lubed everything moving, put it on center stand and lifted front wheel too... But I couldn't help myself, and I went riding yesterday grin.png I'll have to do it all over again...

I feel sorry for you guys in the northern hemisphere who are compelled to put your bikes into hibernation every year for reasons of weather.   Here in (mostly) sunny Australia we certainly have our extremes of weather events – cyclones (hurricanes) in tropical regions, often followed by extensive flooding: extreme summer heat and accompanying bush-fires in many States: intolerable humidity that sometimes makes biking less than pleasurable: and so on – but snow in the streets in our major cities is unheard of and mostly we can and chose to ride year-round. smiley.png

I’m (voluntarily) off the bike for a few weeks, and it hurts, so I cannot understand what it must be like to have to abandon biking for many months every year cry.png .   Kudos to all those who go through this every year, and roll on spring and summer for you all!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I feel sorry for you guys in the northern hemisphere who are compelled to put your bikes into hibernation every year for reasons of weather.   Here in (mostly) sunny Australia we certainly have our extremes of weather events – cyclones (hurricanes) in tropical regions, often followed by extensive flooding: extreme summer heat and accompanying bush-fires in many States: intolerable humidity that sometimes makes biking less than pleasurable: and so on – but snow in the streets in our major cities is unheard of and mostly we can and chose to ride year-round. smiley.png    
I’m (voluntarily) off the bike for a few weeks, and it hurts, so I cannot understand what it must be like to have to abandon biking for many months every year cry.png .   Kudos to all those who go through this every year, and roll on spring and summer for you all!

I'm in Ottawa, Canada.  So we get quite a bit of snow.  None yet but it is getting cold now.  Many of the "sunny days" riders have begun storing their bikes. I USED to live in Quebec (the province next to Ontario), and they have a "mandatory snow tire law" from December 15 to March 15.  That includes motorcycles, and even if there is no snow, which has happened if we got a late winter or an early spring, the Police are pretty strict.
I looked for snow tires when the law came into effect, but they didn't exist in my size at the time.  Not sure if they do now...
There is no snow tire law where I live now, so I plan to ride on nice days where the streets are clear, even if its the middle of the winter.  I invested in some heated gloves, and my jacket has multiple liners, but my friend has offered to sell me his heated jacket cheap.
We'll see.

Current Ride - 2003 Kawasaki KLR650

I'm in Ottawa, Canada.  So we get quite a bit of snow.  None yet but it is getting cold now... I USED to live in Quebec (the province next to Ontario), and they have a "mandatory snow tire law" from December 15 to March 15. I looked for snow tires when the law came into effect, but they didn't exist in my size at the time....
...guessing you meant to say winter tire? I seem to lose confidence in them sport touring tires in temperatures near the freezing mark. I call it quits come frost. Something cool to read.
Ya...  Winter tire...  My bad. I know the official term is Winter tire, I tend to switch back and forth between them in conversation without realizing.  most people I know seem to call them "snow tire" exclusively.
Thanks for the Link!  Good refresher.  I'd ridden in snow and ice a couple times before with my previous bike, but it was sporting dual sport tires year round.  not sure if the tires being softer makes a signifigant difference when temps get below freezing or not though.  I've never had a bike that didn't have offroad knbbies or enduro tires before.

Current Ride - 2003 Kawasaki KLR650

• Premium Member
I feel sorry for you guys in the northern hemisphere who are compelled to put your bikes into hibernation every year for reasons of weather. 
There are some places here in the "Up Above" where you can ride year round. California, obviously. In some places like Arizona or Texas, winter is arguably the better time to ride.

I'm fortunate to live in western Oregon where snow and ice are rare. My winter bike prep involves making sure the pigtail for my heated jacket is out where I can reach it.

• Supporting Member
I'm fortunate to live in western Oregon where snow and ice are rare. My winter bike prep involves making sure the pigtail for my heated jacket is out where I can reach it.
Good call, the heated gear and grips are a life saver!  Two weeks ago when we had awesome autumn weather I took an overnight trip into Oregon.  I stayed in Prineville and left early in the morning to get to Madras for coffee and breakfast at the Black Bear diner.  Not too far outside of Prineville I got into very dense fog and was periodically wiping the moisture off my face shield, eventually it turned to freezing fog and the moisture had turned to ice!  The air temp sensor was alternating between 29 and 30 degrees! Between the VStrom handguards, the heated grips and vest, I was toasty warm. 
As long as it isn't icy or pouring rain, I dress for the conditions and keep on riding!!

BTW, my riding buddy is moving from Seattle to Bend today, the epicenter of craft brews and AWESOME riding, I am jealous!!

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
I love central and eastern Oregon but around this time of year it becomes unridable due to snow and ice. All of my winter riding is confined to the Willamette Valley and the coast.

• Supporting Member
I love central and eastern Oregon but around this time of year it becomes unridable due to snow and ice. All of my winter riding is confined to the Willamette Valley and the coast.
Ah yes, some more awesome roads.  Waldport to Alsea, Siletz Hwy, Grand Ronde to Hebo, Tillamook to Miami-Foley Rd./Necanicum Hwy etc.  Some of my favorites. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

If I ever get up that way again I'll have to get road recommendations from you. 

Got a 3-hour ride in yesterday, and it was danged cold, but the sun shone and the clear air made for lovely vistas. Filled the tank to the brim on the way home, in prep for changing oil and putting the FJ away this weekend. Fortunately I've got the Wee Strom for winter riding; it's got heated grips, a large windscreen, semi-knobbies, and I don't worry about salt on it.

• 1 year later...

I'm in north Georgia and usually put the bike up for December through January.  I'll go out if we get a warm day on the weekend but usually it's too cold and rainy to hope for the chance.  I use a standard plug for a Battery Buddy to maintain my battery when winter arrives, and use the same plug for my heated gear when I'm on the bike.  I also fill up with non-ethanol gasoline and  put fuel stabilizer in the tank when it gets cold.  I do the same for my small engines and everything always starts up fine in the spring.  I hope everyone in areas where your bikes are stored for longer times has good luck, like I have.  Hang on - spring is on the way!!!

Ride Safe - - -

Archived