Which FJ-09 model - 2016, 2017 or wait for 2018?

writetome

I am also at a similar crossroad. Deciding between an 2016 and 2017 and the OTD price difference between the 2 is $2k. Coming from an fz-07 so the only thing I really am looking at is the assist/slipper clutch on the 2017 model. Anyone here try both model years? Does the slipper clutch on the 2017 make any difference at all?

• Premium Member
I am also at a similar crossroad. Deciding between an 2016 and 2017 and the OTD price difference between the 2 is $2k. Coming from an fz-07 so the only thing I really am looking at is the assist/slipper clutch on the 2017 model. Anyone here try both model years? Does the slipper clutch on the 2017 make any difference at all?
You could add the slipper clutch to the 2016 for $350 in parts. Not a hard mod. Personally, I wouldn't add the slipper clutch to to my 2015 because I'm using an R1 clutch cable with Bolt actuator. Makes for a nice light pull.  
I've also had the ECU reflashed to reduce engine braking.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• Supporting Member
Coming from an fz-07 so the only thing I really am looking at is the assist/slipper clutch on the 2017 model. Anyone here try both model years? Does the slipper clutch on the 2017 make any difference at all?
I recently installed the assist/slipper clutch on my ‘15 model and it makes a noticeable difference. The clutch pull is lighter, the transmission overall feels smoother and the clutch whine is reduced.  The big improvement is if you are fairly aggressive and drop a gear entering a corner, the slipper has rubber dampers and absorbs the shock without loosing traction, that function alone is very noticeable. 
I got mine for $230 - shipped and the swap took 2 hours only because I was overly cautious checking everything multiple times. If I did it again, the process could be done in an hour. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Coming from an fz-07 so the only thing I really am looking at is the assist/slipper clutch on the 2017 model. Anyone here try both model years? Does the slipper clutch on the 2017 make any difference at all?
I recently installed the assist/slipper clutch on my ‘15 model and it makes a noticeable difference. The clutch pull is lighter, the transmission overall feels smoother and the clutch whine is reduced.  The big improvement is if you are fairly aggressive and drop a gear entering a corner, the slipper has rubber dampers and absorbs the shock without loosing traction, that function alone is very noticeable. 
I got mine for $230 - shipped and the swap took 2 hours only because I was overly cautious checking everything multiple times. If I did it again, the process could be done in an hour. 

was it a difficult install?  I'm all for wrenching my own stuff but this sounds like something out of my comfort level.  Just wondering how much a shop would charge to have this install done.  Thanks.

• Supporting Member
The actual mechanics of the install isn’t difficult, the execution needs to be precise though. Certain parts get swapped out and the new parts have a very specific order when they get reinstalled.
The parts were actually listed for the XSR900, so I referred to the XSR service manual for the install.

There are a few threads on this topic with photos if you want to search,

The actual mechanics of the install isn’t difficult, the execution needs to be precise though. Certain parts get swapped out and the new parts have a very specific order when they get reinstalled. The parts were actually listed for the XSR900, so I referred to the XSR service manual for the install.

There are a few threads on this topic with photos if you want to search,
Where did you get yours? That appears to be a really good price...

• Supporting Member

Click Here

The "Kit" is a collection of loose parts that they have conveniently packaged together for you.  It includes everything you will need EXCEPT the instructions.  You will need to reference the XSR service manual.

This Thread has some notes that I posted on the Assist/Slipper clutch install. 
Scroll down about half way on page 1.

Hot diggity. That’s really helpful.  Thank you!
I'm showing my wife this post.  2 reasons ... 1.  I'm considering the Assist/Slipper Clutch and
2.  I say "Hot Diggity" probably a bit too much :D   And my wife keeps reminding me that I am the only person in the world who still says that and that I am "Waaaay to Old to keep saying It.  Now I can show other people still do!!! 8-)   And therefore it is obviously in style!

Archived