Poor Hyperstrada owner

I'm sitting at a coffee shop right now watching a guy with a Ducati Hyperstrada ogling my FJ. He's got this, "well crap" look in his eye. Poor guy. I don't have the heart to tell him that mine is more powerful, has a better clutch, handles better, has more torque, is more comfortable, should I go on? Oh... Did I mention $3200 cheaper?

• Premium Member
I'm sitting at a coffee shop right now watching a guy with a Ducati Hyperstrada ogling my FJ. He's got this, "well crap" look in his eye. Poor guy. I don't have the heart to tell him that mine is more powerful, has a better clutch, handles better, has more torque, is more comfortable, should I go on? Oh... Did I mention $3200 cheaper?  

Almost everywhere I go people stop to talk to me about the F-Jay. I had a guy at the motorcycle dealership stop me to ask me about the F-Jay. Said he just put a deposit down on one. I told him about A mode, and he said I was too old to use that mode. Ha Ha.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Hyper's are probably the most fun bike to ride. Not sure he'll be too sad and the Duc WILL go faster than 115mph ;) jus sayin.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
Channelling Jane Austen - [em]it is a truth universally acknowledged that the new-owner of any just-acquired motorcycle, car, lawn-mower, goldfish, wife, whatever, always proclaims to the world that THIS is the finest of its kind ever, unsurpassed in every respect, better than all that came before, and guaranteed to satisfy in every way possible.
[/em]
Maybe it’s a bit like whistling in the dark – to reassure oneself subliminally that all is well and that there’s nothing to be afraid of.
[em]Lawrence of Suburbia  [/em][em]Brisbane - Australia
[/em]

Channelling Jane Austen - [em]it is a truth universally acknowledged that the new-owner of any just-acquired motorcycle, car, lawn-mower, goldfish, wife, whatever, always proclaims to the world that THIS is the finest of its kind ever, unsurpassed in every respect, better than all that came before, and guaranteed to satisfy in every way possible. [/em]
Maybe it’s a bit like whistling in the dark – to reassure oneself subliminally that all is well and that there’s nothing to be afraid of.
[em]Lawrence of Suburbia  [/em][em]Brisbane - Australia
[/em]

LOL. Amusing...
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

Hyper's are probably the most fun bike to ride. Not sure he'll be too sad and the Duc WILL go faster than 115mph ;) jus sayin. 
i traded a Hypermotard for the FJ. The new model hopefully handles better, but my standard model 08 was bucket in the turns. I have WAY more confidence on the Yamaha then the Duc ever gave me. Only thing the Duc did good was pull epic 3rd gear wheelies and had TQ for days. I really don't miss eating wind and 100 mile range at all 

• 3 months later...
i traded a Hypermotard for the FJ. The new model hopefully handles better, but my standard model 08 was bucket in the turns. I have WAY more confidence on the Yamaha then the Duc ever gave me. Only thing the Duc did good was pull epic 3rd gear wheelies and had TQ for days. I really don't miss eating wind and 100 mile range at all 
That's surprising to me! By (apparently nearly) all accounts the hyper eats up most bikes in the twisties. I rode one alone for 2 hours and found myself extremely comfortable in the turns, easily as comfortable as on my upgraded sv650, while riding a bike that is new to me and not mine! I saw a video that shows the same rider with greater speed on the hyper compared to the fz-09: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF4CP5qH0hg. 
Perhaps the newer models are better in the turns but the fj-09 certainly seems to handle well.

That's surprising to me! By (apparently nearly) all accounts the hyper eats up most bikes in the twisties. I rode one alone for 2 hours and found myself extremely comfortable in the turns, easily as comfortable as on my upgraded sv650, while riding a bike that is new to me and not mine! I saw a video that shows the same rider with greater speed on the hyper compared to the fz-09: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF4CP5qH0hg. 
Perhaps the newer models are better in the turns but the fj-09 certainly seems to handle well.
My guess is the suspension is better on the Ducati. That's without having ridden either bike or doing any research on the Ducati. I'm putting this on the Internet so that's my validation that I know what I'm talking about. Anyway, on with my ramblings. Power on paper is pretty similar, actually the FZ has a tiny bit more. I didn't look at how much the Ducati weighs though. That can make a difference. There's so much that goes into making a bike fast. I also noticed the FZ spent significantly less time with the front wheel on the ground. That's wasted power if you are purely looking for speed. The side by side was pretty cool to watch though. I'd be more curious to see a stock FJ vs a stock Multistrada. This video on this forum is like saying, "my little brother is faster than your little brother."

The Hyper 8311 is a completely different animal. The Duc. demo fleet was at my local dealer last week end and I spent about 90 minutes on the basic Hyperstrada, good suspension, excellent motor, Good ergonomics for me, comfy seat, very quick but stable handling.  Not a bike I'd tour on but great for ripping the tarmac on day rides. I want one.... I want it NOW! Paul

Archived