My new Terry Adcox seat

• Supporting Member
Finally got my hands on Terry's seat... wait, that sounded wrong. shocked.png 
Hectic day today as we're getting ready to leave for March break at the crack of dawn, but slapped the seat on the bike and quickly planted my butt in it... felt very nice... but that is certainly no test. Have to wait another three weeks or so to start riding (I will update).

The seat looks great, I hope it works well for you.  A custom/comfortable seat is worth its weight in gold. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Finally got my hands on Terry's seat... wait, that sounded wrong. shocked.png 
Hectic day today as we're getting ready to leave for March break at the crack of dawn, but slapped the seat on the bike and quickly planted my butt in it... felt very nice... but that is certainly no test. Have to wait another three weeks or so to start riding (I will update). I am happy with my choice of vinyl (black all around) though... very natural. In the meantime, some quick shots. The seat looks to be very well made, and dealing with Terry and his wife Debi was a treat. Old school small business. Hey @pieyed07 , hope you don't mind me tacking onto your thread.

seat1.png

seat2.png

seat3.png

seat4.png

I just got back from my first ride on one of Terry's seats, and I give it two thumbs up. I asked Terry to roll or smooth the front edge of the bucket, compared to his standard bucket shape because of my arthritic hips and he nailed it.

IMG_1142.jpg

IMG_1141.jpg

IMG_1139.jpg

Terry and Debi were super to work with, communicated clearly, and delivered as promised. I've had custom seats made for other bikes, and Terry's price was very reasonable compared other seat makers, including Russell, Mayer, Laam, and A Sweet Seat.

On my FJ 09, I've tried a Corbin. It seemed too narrow, and the front edges of the bucket dug into the back of my leg.

I tried a Sargent original. It sloped too far forward, and I was always pushing myself back with my arms. I sent the Sargent back for their "nose job". It didn't slope anymore, but the front edges of the bucket dug into the back of my legs.

I also tried a Seat Concepts thicker touring foam. It was OK, but it wasn't any more comfortable to me, than the OEM.

I used the Seat Concepts foam as a starting point and made my own custom seat. I added different layers of varying density foam. I would add foam, shave a little here, remove foam, maybe shave a little more, until I got right. This seat was good for no pain, but it wasn't 100% perfect. It was a little taller than I wanted. I was going to try some more modifications this spring, until I heard about Terry's seats. Now I'm done searching for a seat.

• 1 month later...
I spent 7 hours in the seat today, with the first 3+ hours/150 miles non-stop. This seat delivers real comfort, and I was pain free. Usually at the end of a long ride, I need a few adult beverages to numb the pain, not needed with Terry's seat.

I was able to move forward/back easily when the conditions called for me closer to the tank in the turns, and slide back to cruise the long boring sections.

Spent more time on my seat from Terry also.... I no longer look for that pain in the ...... to start bugging me! I now know I can ride just ride and not even think about how far! Thanks Terry and Deb ! the seat is working great. 

• 1 month later...
I have reached out to Terry to get one for mine. Hopefully he will get back to me soon. It appears that the "nose" of the seat is angled upwards, does that stop the sliding forward over top of your bag like I get on my Sargent? My Sargent is better than stock but now that it is starting to break in it is getting worse for me. I have a 10 day ride coming up in early august and am hoping to get one of these seats before hand. What was the average wait time to get one from start to finish? I'm looking at 6 weeks lead time now.

I just sent an email to Terry to get in the queue. I just finished 3,600 miles in 6 days on a Sergeant and I need something better for those kinds of miles.
Sorry to hear that the Sergeant isn't working for you.  You certainly have put it to the test.  I have had better luck with my butt.  Just completed 10,000 miles since April 12th, 2 1/2 months with the longest ride/day 660 miles.  Compared to my FJR's Russell DayLong seat which I have over 170K on, I'm very happy with the Sergeant.  Some times it just takes miles to get your butt in shape to do the long distance and day after day shape.  I would try to rack up 25K before investing in another seat. 

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

I just sent an email to Terry to get in the queue. I just finished 3,600 miles in 6 days on a Sergeant and I need something better for those kinds of miles.
Sorry to hear that the Sergeant isn't working for you.  You certainly have put it to the test.  I have had better luck with my butt.  Just completed 10,000 miles since April 12th, 2 1/2 months with the longest ride/day 660 miles.  Compared to my FJR's Russell DayLong seat which I have over 170K on, I'm very happy with the Sergeant.  Some times it just takes miles to get your butt in shape to do the long distance and day after day shape.  I would try to rack up 25K before investing in another seat.
I had a Russell Day Long on my BMW K75S (which the FJ-09 replaced) - I loved that seat. The Sergeant digs into my legs at the edge where the welt cord is, and the slope is wrong. I placed blocks under the front to make it a better angle, but I still don't like it. Yesterday I did an 865 mile day on the Sergeant and I'm still in pain today. I don't think more miles is going to help that. Terry's seat looks very similar to the Daylong that I loved and the price is right, so giving it a try.  
Terry just responded to my email inquiry - he's on vacation until the second week in July with build dates in August. So my Sergeant should be for sale here by September. 

Does anyone know what material he uses for the cushion and does he have a solution for the passenger seat as well? 
Look at page two of this post that piotrek put up about the materials. 
Sorry, I guess I should have been more specific.  What is the material used inside- not just the cover.  Is it a gel type, layered foam, memory, etc.   

• 4 weeks later...