Comparing Shad SH23 and SH36

BBB

Like many on this forum I have a set of SH36 panniers (side cases). I like them as they fit the shape of the bike (IMHO), are waterproof, take a full-faced helmet and the 3P mounting system is easy to use and discrete when the panniers are off.

Their only downside is they add considerably to the width of the bike and as lane-splitting and filtering are allowed in the UK, in fact encouraged on Advanced Motorcycling courses, the panniers limit opportunities to make progress.

So, when I saw a post on here about the narrower SH23 panniers I found a set for £99 delivered and ordered them.

Comparisons then, starting with SH36

sh36_rear_view.jpg

These panniers weigh 4kg each and at the widest part across the bike measure 100cm (39 1/4 inches ). For reference I measured the handlebars (with original handguards) at 99cm (39 inches) so the panniers are marginally the widest part of the bike.

In comparison, SH23

sh23_rear_view.jpg

These weigh only 2kg each and at the widest are 33 1/4 inches or 84cm. So they are about 6 inches or 16cm narrower.

And just to show the comparison visually

sh23_and_sh36_comparison.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Other comparisons:

SH36: side loading, can take a full face helmet. Also, they need this type of end bracket on the 3P mounting system

3_P_standard_end_bracket.jpg

SH23: top loading and cannot take a helmet. Plus, you need to swap to this type of end bracket, which comes with the cases.

3_P_end_bracket_comparison.jpg

SH23 mounts on left, SH36 mounts on the right. You have to change these mounts to swap cases unfortunately, but they are only held in by one screw so it's not too big a deal.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Hi BBB, I'm new owner of FJ 09 and I read your comparing of Shad SH23 vs SH36. I want to buy SH23 side case. I search picture from left or right side with side case on th FJ because I want to see where finish the side case on the tail. I need to know if it will fit with the fender eliminator I want to buy. It will be really appreciated if you have side picture and post here to show me.

Thank you

Hi 91shelbydaytona, here a picture from the side without sidecase on, just the rack. It is one of the main reason I chose SH23, the rack is smaller thant other brand like GIVI. And same capacity comparing Yamaha brand but a lot cheaper, Shad 450$ vs Yamaha 1700$.

shad3_p_system.jpg

• 1 month later...
Just a note of caution on SH23 side cases. The plastic they are made from isn't that thick and is quite soft, so the inside of one of mine is heavily scratched from a disc lock rolling around in there.

scuffing.jpg

And they are a really awkward internal shape, so I ended up buying a cheap gym shoes bag

gym_bag.jpg
That works nicely for keeping your odds and ends together. Not revolutionary, but I thought I'd share.

tidy_pannier.jpg

• Premium Member
@BBB thanks for the helpful info.

For greater lane splitting flexibility, you might consider removing the OEM handguards, and maybe replacing with the KTMs. This shaves off more than a few inches of width overall!

I do most of my lane splitting when traffic is stationary @alejandro and although the SH23 cases are narrower than the stock bars, their width is lower down the bike. Consequently I only go for big gaps, like at traffic lights, when I have the cases mounted.

Without the cases, I don’t find the stock bars any limitation at all, as the bike is taller than most cars so the bars fit nicely over car wing mirrors. But again, I do most of the narrow stuff with stopped vehicles in case anyone decides to lane change.

• Premium Member
Interesting. I'm in California, the only state in the US where lane splitting is legal (San Francisco in particular). And people do lane split, pretty aggressively! (Mostly bikers--the odd car tries to do it too.)

And some large percentage of the vehicles on the road are full-sized SUVs and pickups.

The good news is that there is a high correlation in California between (people who drive pickup trucks) and (people who rode dirt bikes when they were kids). So generally they go out of their way to be helpful if they see me coming.

The weekend and nighttime drivers are not great, but a great majority of the rush-hour drivers are skilled and polite, something that cannot be said of anywhere else I've driven in the US...

• 2 weeks later...

There is a problem- Shad does not make the mounting system for MT-03. Can I ask you to measure the dimensions of the mount and put it here? Required dimensions of the pipe on which the box and bend angle are hung

• 4 months later...