Comparing Shad SH23 and SH36

BBB

Sorry @alejandro I didn’t think it would fit from using a measure. I couldn’t estimate putting it at an angle.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• 1 year later...

Resurecting this topic to ask if anyone tried fitting the Shad 3P system on a 2019/2020 Tracer 900/GT?

It is mentioned in the user instructions that you need to cut the 2 lateral plastic "wings" from the Yamaha sidecases original sidecases plastic mount (that do have a role of supporting the undertail plastic plate in place) with a rotary cutting tool (Dremel).

Also, it seems like you need to replace the Yamaha original metal plates behind the OEM sidecase mounts with Shad plates. It seems as I was sent two identical right hand plates, instead of a left and right one - with one L shape mount oriented outwards and the other one inwards (as it should be the case, apparently). Attaching the pic with the parts in question, as well as the left hand side one, with the L mount pointing onwards (when it should actually point inwards, but it's identical with the right hand side one).

Screenshot_20200628-194337_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

20200628_202010.jpg

• Supporting Member
43 minutes ago, SuperMax said:

Resurecting this topic to ask if anyone tried fitting the Shad 3P system on a 2019/2020 Tracer 900/GT?

It is mentioned in the user instructions that you need to cut the 2 lateral plastic "wings" from the Yamaha sidecases original sidecases plastic mount (that do have a role of supporting the undertail plastic plate in place) with a rotary cutting tool (Dremel).

Also, it seems like you need to replace the Yamaha original metal plates behind the OEM sidecase mounts with Shad plates. It seems as I was sent two identical right hand plates, instead of a left and right one - with one L shape mount oriented outwards and the other one inwards (as it should be the case, apparently). Attaching the pic with the parts in question, as well as the left hand side one, with the L mount pointing onwards (when it should actually point inwards, but it's identical with the right hand side one).

20200628_202010.jpg

That piece doesn't even look close to correct for the 3P mount.  It should connect to the footpeg as well with a mounting bar.

a_shad8855.jpg

Shad Side Master 3P System Yamaha MT09 Tracer

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

That is the correct piece, for sure. There are 3P mount systems for the Tracer 900, a wider one (thr one your posted), and a slimmer profile one (that only accepts SH35/36 case, not the SH23 ones) that doesn't need any additional part to connect to the footpegts (the mointing tubular L shaped bars connect only through a bolt to the footpegs). Schematics attached (fig. 15)

Screenshot_20200628-213401_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

49 minutes ago, SuperMax said:

That is the correct piece, for sure. There are 3P mount systems for the Tracer 900, a wider one (thr one your posted), and a slimmer profile one (that only accepts SH35/36 case, not the SH23 ones) that doesn't need any additional part to connect to the footpegts (the mointing tubular L shaped bars connect only through a bolt to the footpegs). Schematics attached (fig. 15)

Screenshot_20200628-213401_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

There's a slimmer profile mount for the SH36's!?! Do you have a part number?

I'm about to hit up SHAD's website.

Edit: "slimmer" mount is for '18s and '19s only.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

1 hour ago, duhs10 said:

There's a slimmer profile mount for the SH36's!?! Do you have a part number?

I'm about to hit up SHAD's website.

Edit: "slimmer" mount is for '18s and '19s only.

The slimmer Shad 3P profile mount is for SH35 and SH36 sidebags only and its PN is YOTC98IF. Indeed, that is for Tracer 90p (not FJ-09) 2018 and up.

• Thumbsup 1

13 hours ago, SuperMax said:

20200628_202010.jpg

No difference between 2018 and 2019/2020 right? 

If in doubt, watch me mounting the top case rack. The side bracket are identical (I also have the 3P side cases )

wow, thanks for all the good info. was really thinking about the SH36 but man thats big. fyi i just ordered the SH23's from Amazon for $163. theres only 1 left now. still have to get the brackets from Shad website but still save a good bit. 

Also I really dislike side loading bags. I feel like I will be able to get a lot more in there than my current OEM bags(which are broke).

1 hour ago, TheBigG said:

No difference between 2018 and 2019/2020 right? 

If in doubt, watch me mounting the top case rack. The side bracket are identical (I also have the 3P side cases )

Thanks a lot, @TheBigG! Yes, no difference between European 2018 Tracer 900 and 2019/2020 US Tracer 900/GT, as US most of the times gets their models 1 year later than Europe/Australia/Japan (if ever - Tracer 700 is not available here, yet).

It seems like Shad sent me 2 right hand side metal plates mounts, instead of one right hand side and one left hand side (pic below), so however I try installing it, the left hand side plate will have the L-shape plate pointing outwards, not inwards (like the right hand side one). I dropped Shad an email, but as they only use a contact form that doesn't allow attachments, I had to wait on them to reply to me from an email address and got back t them with the pics.

Also, I am interested, after cutting through the Yamaha plastic piece, to make room for the L-Shape mount, how much of a space the slit has now - is it allowing dirt getting under the seat now?

L shape.jpg

• Supporting Member
32 minutes ago, SuperMax said:

Also, I am interested, after cutting through the Yamaha plastic piece, to make room for the L-Shape mount, how much of a space the slit has now - is it allowing dirt getting under the seat now?

The under seat tray is not 100% waterproof or immune to dust and dirt.  I don't think slightly trimming the plastic will have any noticeable adverse effects.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

4 minutes ago, betoney said:

The under seat tray is not 100% waterproof or immune to dust and dirt.  I don't think slightly trimming the plastic will have any noticeable adverse effects.

For me, the seat tray proved to be sealing the underseat area pretty good so far (no dirt found in there after 6 months, just some inevitable dust). It seems like Shad messed up with the paper cutout model, too - as that it's bit longer and wider than the actual plastic piece that has to be cut. I will start cutting at 1inch from the base and remove any excess material by using the Dremel or some sandpaper - in a step by step approach to have a perfectly trimmed slit.

But until then, waiting on Shad Spain to sort  me out by sending me an answer regarding the left hand side plate, as I bough these from a Spain website. I heard Shad US is not much better in terms of customer service...