Sign in to follow this  
pattonme

Calling all short riders!

Can those who are short of inseam and would like a shock that lowered the seat 5-30mm respond to this thread?
I've got K-Tech to agree to make a custom build that uses a 10mm shorter shaft but if I can reasonably get more than one unit ordered there would be no surcharge. Your response is NOT a commitment to buy! I'm trying to get a read on how much demand there is for that kind of configuration.

Thank you.
PS. if you are in the market for a short shock (Razor Lite, though I can't imagine the Razor R would be any problem since it's the same body) I'll up the discount another 2pct to 20 if you buy a shortened unit.

Is there a preferred qualification for "short of inseam"?

I have a 30 inch inseam and have considered lowering my FJ-09. I am not able to flat foot at the moment. Suspension front and rear is scheduled to be addressed this winter. Current plan is to apply a "stock ride height" aftermarket shock.

Second question: How would a shorter shock compare to applying lowering links (turn in ease, geometry, stability etc..)?

links affect the lever ratio and generally not in a good way. But I don't know where the inflection point is vis a vis shock resting length vs linkage and how the ratio changes over wheel travel. Flat-footing is overrated IMO but not to be confused with being able to solidly get the balls of both feet down. Many adjustable aftermarket shocks can get you 3mm shorter at the clevis which is about 7mm at the seat.

This build has a range that is shorter (at full extension it is still 5mm lower than stock) for folks closer to 28" inseams.

That's about what I thought. But it always helps to have a second opinion. I'm ok with the stock ride height. Lowering was just a consideration.

An off line follow up may come regarding the suspension upgrade. ;)

Thanks Matt!