What are your plans for distance-touring in 2018?

wordsmith

I imagine that many northern hemisphere riders who will be putting their bikes away for the winter may spend some pleasurable hours pondering next year’s rides.

I’d be interested to read about plans any of you may have for long-ish multi-day trips to wherever.   

Personally, I find the anticipation about upcoming trips almost as enjoyable as a trip itself – and if for any reason it doesn’t happen, well, the planning and thinking and map-studying and accommodation-seeking parts are almost enough!

My own plans for early 2018 are focussed on a ~12-day ride to the tropical far north of this State, to Cooktown (where the tarmac runs out on Australia’s east coast) and back.   I’ll cover between 4500 and 5000km return, depending on variations of the likely route, taking more or fewer inland roads versus the slightly more direct coastal routes.

I’d wanted to do this ride earlier this year, around August, but unforeseen delays occurred.   First I had a wait of several weeks for my BAGSTER seat to be made and delivered – couldn’t possibly even attempt the ride on the stock butt-killer.

Then just before I was ready to depart a nasty bout of ‘flu laid both me and Mrs Wordsmith low for some weeks, following which Mrs W had a fall and broke her arm!   Some seven weeks later it’s still in a splint and still not right, which has necessitated my staying home while she recovers.

Cooking, cleaning, ironing, dish-washing – this is uncharted territory for me, and believe me when I say that a woman’s work is never done!

Now, of course, we’re at the beginning of the three-month long wet season, in fact, it’s bucketing down outside right now, and is set to continue.    The high humidity at this time o’year, with its numerous 90/ 90 days, makes riding with even lightweight bike gear on very unpleasant, as well as bringing intense rainfall and regular flooding of both major highways and outback roads.   Bummer! cry.png

But there – I feel better now!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporting Member
Personally, I find the anticipation about upcoming trips almost as enjoyable as a trip itself – and if for any reason it doesn’t happen, well, the planning and thinking and map-studying and accommodation-seeking parts are almost enough!
I very much relate to this way of thinking.  I am constantly planning routes on Google Maps. Not only do I constantly plan trips for myself, I also ride with a small group and we chose a different destination each year as a week-long ride. (once a summer seems to be the extent of getting everyones busy lives in sync for our group ride)  Once we chose the destination, I plan the route, nightly stopping points, book all accommodations etc.

2 summers ago we spent a week in Northern California, last summer we spent a week riding Washington, Idaho, Montana and Oregon.  Several weeks later I met up with another buddy and we rode Washington, Oregon, Nevada, Utah, Wyoming and Idaho.

For 2018 I am planning another week long ride at the end of June to Northern California, specifically Shasta-Trinity and Plumas National Forests as well as The Sierra-Nevada area.
After Labor Day I am hoping to take another week to explore Montana and Wyoming. - Glacier National Park, Beartooth Pass, Chief Joseph Highway and the Bighorn Mountains.

I work 4-10's so I always have 3 day weekends and am always taking 2 and 3 day trips into Idaho and Oregon.  I really need to renew my passport and explore Canada, Banff/Jasper etc.

I put over 16,000 miles on my bike this year and wore through 3 sets of tires, 2 of the 3 rear tires were worn down to the cords.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I very much relate to this way of thinking.  I am constantly planning routes on Google Maps. Not only do I constantly plan trips for myself, I also ride with a small group and we chose a different destination each year as a week-long ride. (once a summer seems to be the extent of getting everyones busy lives in sync for our group ride)  Once we chose the destination, I plan the route, nightly stopping points, book all accommodations etc.

2 summers ago we spent a week in Northern California, last summer we spent a week riding Washington, Idaho, Montana and Oregon.  Several weeks later I met up with another buddy and we rode Washington, Oregon, Nevada, Utah, Wyoming and Idaho.

For 2018 I am planning another week long ride at the end of June to Northern California, specifically Shasta-Trinity and Plumas National Forests as well as The Sierra-Nevada area.
After Labor Day I am hoping to take another week to explore Montana and Wyoming. - Glacier National Park, Beartooth Pass, Chief Joseph Highway and the Bighorn Mountains.

I work 4-10's so I always have 3 day weekends and am always taking 2 and 3 day trips into Idaho and Oregon.  I really need to renew my passport and explore Canada, Banff/Jasper etc.

I put over 16,000 miles on my bike this year and wore through 3 sets of tires, 2 of the 3 rear tires were worn down to the cords.

My wife always knows when I'm within a few days, or at most a week or two, of another departure when I announce "I'm gonna do a trial-pack" (self-explanatory, I think).   I consult my 'master list', lay everything out on my bed, discard half, then start again, believing in the virtue of travelling very, very light.   Actually, I vary so little between rides to various destinations that it's a bit of a waste of time, but it does add to the build-up and the anticipation.   I might add some bathing shorts if heading north, or a warmer silk jacket if heading south - otherwise the basics remain pretty much unchanged.    
And I must say I do envy you those evocative destinations, betoney, which of course are mostly just place-names to we folk down here at the bottom of the world!  

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Guest kernowjim
Riding from Cornwall, UK to Sachsenring, Germany for MotoGP in July.

Cornwall, UK to San Marino, Italy for MotoGP in September.

• Premium Member
In August I’ll be headed to the southwest and California from Tennessee. In March I’m riding to New Mexico, but that’s for work. I’m still looking forward to it.

Let’s go Brandon

I have suddenly turned green!

Planning my first multi-day road trip for this coming summer. Basically it starts at the top of Skyline drive in Virginia and from there follows the entirety of the Blue Ridge Parkway ending near enough to Deals Gap in NC making that the ultimate destination. Covers roughly 650 miles 1-way.

I don't intend to do too much planning as far as booking hotels and such. I figure we'll just ride until we're tired/hungry and find somewhere to eat/rest. I'm thinking 3 days should get it done. Once we get down there we'll decide how we want to get back.

Anyone been down that way and have any recommendations for places to stop?

[gplus url=]

Guest kernowjim
I have suddenly turned green!
Ha not sure about that!  I'll have some of that Queensland weather please!

• Premium Member
Planning my first multi-day road trip for this coming summer. Basically it starts at the top of Skyline drive in Virginia and from there follows the entirety of the Blue Ridge Parkway ending near enough to Deals Gap in NC making that the ultimate destination. Covers roughly 650 miles 1-way. 
I don't intend to do too much planning as far as booking hotels and such. I figure we'll just ride until we're tired/hungry and find somewhere to eat/rest. I'm thinking 3 days should get it done. Once we get down there we'll decide how we want to get back.

Anyone been down that way and have any recommendations for places to stop?

[gplus url=<iframe src=]

dbeau,
Excellent plan. I live off the BRP mile marker 315. Near MM 330 is a fantastic place, The Big Lynn Lodge http://biglynnlodge.com/ Your nights room rate for two includes great supper and breakfast for two! And the view is fantastic! It’s also located on NC 226A which is also designated as “Diamondback”. A side ride down 226A is really worth the time. Yea they are now naming all the great riding roads which just attracts more people making it more crowded and IMO more dangerous. It’s all about timing when it’s not busy!
You really need to check out https://www.nps.gov/blri/index.htm here you will find lots of valuable info on the BRP. One important thing is the information on closures. You can also find info on the end-to-end program. Fill out the info regarding your ride from MM 419 to MM 0 and they will send you a nice packet with stickers patch certificate etc.
Every motorcyclist needs to ride the BRP but know that there are so many more motorcycle roads just off the BRP to find. Fantastic stuff! Enjoy!

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

My plans are almost done for 2018 for multi day rides, as I was working on this earlier today:  Orig. plan was 24,000 miles.

- 4/14/18-5/2/18: 16 Day, PDX, OR to Sahuarita, AZ. 4/17/18-4/24/18: Ride to Austin, TX for Moto GP races. 4/25/18-4/29/18: 3 day ride back to PDX, maybe Death Valley. 5400 miles.  

- 6/15/18-6/29/18: 9 Day, Lake Tahoe & World Superbike Races at Laguna Seca Ride: D 1: PDX to K Falls, D 2: K.F. to Incline V., D 3-8: (4 planned loop rides 1K miles). D 9-11: Leave 6/21/18 Tahoe for Laguna for Superbike races, D 12-16, Ride the Sierra Mts. from Lake Isabella North back to PDX.  2630 miles.

- 7/12/18- 7/15/18: Hell’s Canyon Rally, Baker, OR. Gathering of friends. 1200 miles.

- 7/15/18-7/25/18: Ride with friends.  Usually will include places in WA, OR, ID, MT, CA.  3000 miles. We have set aside these days to do a 3K ride. RTD.

- 8/9/18- 8/12/18: Ride to Sears Point for Moto America races.  1300 miles.

- 8/17/18- 8/20/18: 5 Day, Loop Ride in Washington.  1400 miles.

- 9/07/18–9/09/18: 5 Day, Big Nasty Hillclimb,  New Plymouth, ID., 1000 miles,

- 9/14/18-9/9/18:  3 Day, Ride to La Pine, OR for a FJR gather.  The Reuben Run, LaPine, OR.  600 miles.

- 9/19/18-9/23/18: Georgia and North Carolina Ride. Fly to Atlanta Georgia, rent motorcycle to ride the Appalachia Mtns. 4 Days. 1000 miles.

- 10/3/18-10/7/18: 4 Day, Fall Foliage Ride with friends.  Again  OR, & NV. 1300 miles. RTD.

-11/07/18-11/11/18:  4 Day Ride to Northern California.  1300 miles.

Updated:  8/10/2018
Updated:  11/12/2018:  Total miles for the year:  21,430 on FJ 09.

P1060234_crop300.jpg

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

redfjniner - seeing these plans I have to ask if I can carry your bags for you along the way! ;)

• Premium Member
Redfjniner, you are my hero.

This thread reminds me that, sadly, I have no big rides planned next year. My wife and I are going to Europe for a couple weeks in July, and I have a week-long elk hunting trip in October or November. That'll about do it for my vacation time next year, so moto trips will be limited to long weekends. Sob.

redfjniner - seeing these plans I have to ask if I can carry your bags for you along the way! wink.png
Any time, as long as I have a place to stay in Queensland. ;)

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

redfjniner - seeing these plans I have to ask if I can carry your bags for you along the way! wink.png
Any time, as long as I have a place to stay in Queensland. wink.png
Any time!

Archived