What are your plans for distance-touring in 2018?

wordsmith

• Premium Member
It's back on! Leaving Sunday morning for the 4 corners area.

I had a 9-day ride planned for mid-June to that area, just days before the trip I hurt my back and had to cancel, I was out of work for 3 weeks. 

We were going to ride The San Juan Skyway as well as Staircase-Escalante and Marble Canyon.  Definitely going to try again in '19.

I hope you get er done. I’m going to ride a couple of those roads. 

Let’s go Brandon

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had been hoping to recreate a trip I've done twice in the past, up the Route de la Baie-James to Radisson, and over to Chisasibi to stick my feet in the icy waters of the James Bay, where Quebec and Nunavut meet. Alas, the plans fell apart, so I'll have to just look at these pix until (hopefully) next year.
IMG_2125.jpg

IMG_2135.jpg

I had been hoping to recreate a trip I've done twice in the past, up the Route de la Baie-James to Radisson, and over to Chisasibi to stick my feet in the icy waters of the James Bay, where Quebec and Nunavut meet. Alas, the plans fell apart, so I'll have to just look at these pix until (hopefully) next year.
Bummer to have to cancel a trip. This one is in my plan for September... last long-ish outing of the season. Might go see the Bourassa power station while up there. I hear it's quite a facility.

I've been up twice but didn't do the tour either time.  I hear its really something to see, and if I get back up there may try to do it.  Pretty sure you want to get in touch with them and schedule it in advance.

I've been up twice but didn't do the tour either time.  I hear its really something to see, and if I get back up there may try to do it.  Pretty sure you want to get in touch with them and schedule it in advance.
Thanks for the tip... totally neglected to account for this.
No problem.  I went up both times in early September (plus a hunting trip up there in December where it was -40 for the three days I hunted) and it was a good time to go.  I would recommend fitting a gas can in somewhere, as the first gas you hit is on the fringe of the FJ's limit.  I had to use the gas on my first trip on a V65 Sabre, but didn't bother on the ST1100 on the 2nd go round. 

Baja October 2018 meets in San Ysidro, California, on Sunday October 14th, heading into the Mexican Desert Peninsula for the next 14 days. Come for one, or come for all. Get up early or sleep in late. Ride solo, ride in a group. Longest day will be about 500kms. Once south of Tijuana/Ensenada, its pretty and...deserted...until the southern tip at La Paz/ Cabo San Lucas 2000kms south. 99% paved (excepting construction, or hurricane reconstruction). 2 lanes, 80kph. Gas prices comparable, food/accommodations most reasonable.
This will be my 5th, and likely final Baja run for a while. I'm expecting around 10 riders. All types of motorcycles, all levels of experience. I just ask that Riders be independent and self sufficient. Stick to the program or not as suits you, you know you have friends on the road in the area, just in case. I did the previous runs on my GL1000, and DL-1000. We've had everything from 650 singles to 1600 V Twins.
Post hurricane season, pre-winter tourist season - and temperatures to the level that even the locals get out and ride.
We've a group on Facebook, Baja October 2018.
You've still got a month to prepare! Join us?

I didn't know it was possible to ride all the way to Hudson Bay. I'm learning all sorts of new things here - like it is now possible to ride all the way to the Arctic Ocean on the Dempster Highway. This forum is creating all sorts of new riding adventures for me!

I didn't know it was possible to ride all the way to Hudson Bay. I'm learning all sorts of new things here - like it is now possible to ride all the way to the Arctic Ocean on the Dempster Highway. This forum is creating all sorts of new riding adventures for me!
The James Bay Road is a private road owned and maintained by Hydro Quebec that runs from Matagami, Quebec to Radisson, Quebec.  You can then ride west to the Cree Village of Chisasibi on the James Bay, which is south of the Hudson Bay but darrn close.   
You DO have to stop and sign in at the start of the road, and sign out on the way back, as they like to know if they need to go look for missing people.  The boreal forest turning to tundra is something to see, as are the waterways along the route.  Plan on camping, in fact you'll want to.  The first time I did it in 2003 we saw the northern lights as they aren't seen anywhere but up there every night.  There's lots of info on the interwebs if you search on it.  It truly is a splendid motorcycle trip. 

Note also that you're on the First People's land up there and respect it.  There are some rules you need to know if you take a fishing rod along, etc.  but its an unforgettable trip.

No problem.  I went up both times in early September (plus a hunting trip up there in December where it was -40 for the three days I hunted) and it was a good time to go.  I would recommend fitting a gas can in somewhere, as the first gas you hit is on the fringe of the FJ's limit.  I had to use the gas on my first trip on a V65 Sabre, but didn't bother on the ST1100 on the 2nd go round.
More good info... much appreciated. I can do 2L of spare fuel in the tool tubes, good for ~40km. I usually call ahead to pre-planned fuel stops to verify that they're open when I get there. Do you recall where you picked up fuel for the long stretch? I will most likely go mid September. Doesn't sound like December is a good time to go.  huh.png
There's a service center about 250 miles up, gas was available 24 hours when I was last up, but you should put James Bay Road in your favorite search engine for current info.  There's gas in Radisson at the northern end as well as lodging.  I camped both times I was up there, you could pretty much camp where you want, and there were established sites along the way which were in nice places.  There were also bunks available at the service center, mostly used by truckers, and a cafeteria as well.  Remember all these things are in place to service the workers for the power industry and logging that goes on in the area, not geared to tourists.  There's not a lot of traffic to support. 
I took a 2 gallon can bungied on my top case as

Archived