WHAT TYRES ARE PEOPLE RUNNING???

Guest brianwindmill

Guest brianwindmill
Hi to everybody
                       Here in the UK the bike tyres are Dunlop d222 i hear from different people that they are rubbish anybody with this tyres on what they think about them. I thought about changing them  straight away from new by getting some Michelin pilot 4 as i have heard great things about them.

Thanks Brian Windmill.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Hi to everybody                        Here in the UK the bike tyres are Dunlop d222 i hear from different people that they are rubbish anybody with this tyres on what they think about them. I thought about changing them  straight away from new by getting some Michelin pilot 4 as i have heard great things about them.

Thanks Brian Windmill.
I was a Dunlop fan, then I wasn't (cupping), then I was (G2s were great on my R1), then I went back to Michelin with my FJR1300. So, on to the D222s. I love these tires. Very neutral in the turns, quick, but not too quick turn in, and grips fantastic. Got stuck in the rain with David and never felt them slip. Not sure I will keep them when they wear out, but if they last a long time, I surely will. Definitely not garbage (or as you Brits would say, rubbish). 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I too am enjoying the D222s. I have 1300 miles on them so far and the rear looks about half way done. That is pretty good mileage for me considering how well the tires stick and handle. The problem is, the D222 is not available for sale. It appears to be an OEM version of the Roadsmart II. While I have disliked some OEM tires compared to the 'regular' versions of the same tire in the past, There have been at least two OEM tires that I preferred over the 'regular' version. I am waiting to hear someone's comparison between the D222 and the Roadsmart II. The Roadsmart II has a dual compound rear which may make it last longer, or maybe it just has stickier shoulders. Who knows how different the tires actually are. I could find no information from Dunlop on the construction of the D222.
2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09

I three also enjoy the D222. I am a Michelin PR-X fan and would go to PR-3's or 4's, but will look for D222 first. I have looked for the D222, but nobody carries them here in the U.S. (Yet). I am just over 2000 miles and the rear is showing a little squaring off, which makes me think they will make it to 4500-5000 miles. If that is the case, I will go for the PR's, but for sure I will wear these out as they are a good tire.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

I'm with the crowd here also. 1000 miles and these dunslops are damn good. I've run pilot roads on the Buell and the Ducati with great success as both of them had a healthy appetite for rear tires (stupid tq). These factory tires have great traction and really hold a line in a corner. Time will tell on the real world wear but at 1000 miles they look perfect and I'm really happy with them.

I ran RoadSmart II on my er-6n. They were the stock tire and when they wore out I replaced with the same. Wet weather performance is phenomenal on the Roadsmart II. I've also got great mileage out of them. The first rear I got 14000km until I got to the wear bar. The front got to 19000km. I'm not sure how the D222 is different but it doesn't sound like they wear as well as the Roadsmart II.
I notice in the owners manual Yammy says that the D222 is the only approved tire. Is that just because they have a deal with Dunlop?

• 2 weeks later...
I like the Dunlops, heard bad things from some about them but they are great, I wouldn't waste money swapping them out until they are shot, then i will probably go for another set of Metzler, or Michelin
only done 400 miles as yet but they are scrubbed in well.

• Premium Member
500 miles on the stock D222. They are fine so far in the cold, slimy roads covered in road salt. We need a huge downpour, just for a day, to wash the roads clean. Then temperatures above freezing so they don't come out with the bloody salt again.

Not tried them in proper rain yet.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 3 weeks later...
The stock rear has just over half the usable tread left on it, after 1,500 miles. I will be replacing them with something that will last longer. The grip has been good. I had been riding the bike on the easy side until last weekend. My friend want's me to try the Conti-Motions. He is on his third set. My FJ1200 has Michelin Power Pilot 2s. I normally try something new when it comes to tires. Any input on the Conti tires would be appreciated.

Kurt  

• Premium Member
I'm happy with the OE D222 as they have excellent grip even in the wet & slimey conditions we have had in the last month. Like you, I'm not convinced about their long term durability. I see them like the OE ink cartridges you get with cheap printers, work fine but won't last long!

I have used Conti tyres before, the first version of the Road Attack on my R1150GS. I would think if you were to use Conti tyres on the FJ then it would be the current version of the Road Attack as this tyre is very much targeted at the sports touring market. They come with a very deep tread and were lasting 6000 miles to a rear and twice that on the front. I used them for commuting all year and on summer trips to the Balkans, Alps & Dolomites in Southern Europe.

Their fitment guide is a bit lacking, not even showing the FZ09. If you look up the TDM which will have a similar tyre requirement, they recommend the Road Attack mk1 or mk2.

Conti's sports touring tyres are shown here, including the Motion, which does come in FJ sizes. It's a personal choice but I would prefer the extra grip over ultimate mileage or cost. The Motion is very much a bargain basement type of tyre. Plus the Attack has a funkier tread pattern, which is enough to convince some people apparently. 

I'll probably need to look for new tyres when I get back from France at the end of June. Michelin PR4 will be at the top of the list but they can be expensive and on this small isle, tyres can be in short supply once the seasonal riders hit the road. The Conti Road Attack 2 or 2 Evo will be 2nd on the list. 

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived