WHAT TYRES ARE PEOPLE RUNNING???

Guest brianwindmill

I replaced the rear D222 last week with 5,050 miles on them. Put on a Dunlop Roadsmart 2. Looks the same as the D222. Exact same tread pattern. Rode it to Laughlin and back, now the rear has 2,470 miles on it and the front OEM has 7,520. I like these tires, they hold very well in the wet and dry, great feel, never feel like they are going to slip out.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Like red, I'm happy with the D222. Rode in all weathers and yesterday was an intermittently wet day after a long dry spell so the roads were very slippy. The tyres were fine once you had recalibrated to go a bit slower due to the reduced grip of the road surface.

I had an email exchange with my usual tyre fitter, Protyre in Gloucester UK. This was Chris' reply:

"The tyre’s you currently have will probably be available but not for quite a while, so with that said the closest to the D222 would be the Dunlop Qualifier 2 and a pair of these will cost £245.00 fitted to the bike. Alternatively you could use the Michelin Pilot Power 3 which is Michelin’s latest sport tyre and a pair of these would cost £255.00 for the pair fitted to the bike. However if you are doing a lot of touring hence your trip to France I would probably recommend either the Michelin Pilot Road 4 or the Bridgestone T30 which they are both as good as each other, the T30 I can do £250.00 for the pair again fitted to the bike."

So, I've heard good things about the T30s and will maybe try them if the PR4 are much dearer.

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Like red, I'm happy with the D222. Rode in all weathers and yesterday was an intermittently wet day after a long dry spell so the roads were very slippy. The tyres were fine once you had recalibrated to go a bit slower due to the reduced grip of the road surface. 
I had an email exchange with my usual tyre fitter, Protyre in Gloucester UK. This was Chris' reply:

"The tyre’s you currently have will probably be available but not for quite a while, so with that said the closest to the D222 would be the Dunlop Qualifier 2 and a pair of these will cost £245.00 fitted to the bike. Alternatively you could use the Michelin Pilot Power 3 which is Michelin’s latest sport tyre and a pair of these would cost £255.00 for the pair fitted to the bike. However if you are doing a lot of touring hence your trip to France I would probably recommend either the Michelin Pilot Road 4 or the Bridgestone T30 which they are both as good as each other, the T30 I can do £250.00 for the pair again fitted to the bike."

So, I've heard good things about the T30s and will maybe try them if the PR4 are much dearer.

Wessie- I'm only one cup of coffee in, but IIRC both the q2 and the pilot power are regular sportbike tires.
Aren't the d222 tires (or OE equivalent) a dual compound touring tire?
-skip

• Premium Member

Wessie- I'm only one cup of coffee in, but IIRC both the q2 and the pilot power are regular sportbike tires.
Aren't the d222 tires (or OE equivalent) a dual compound touring tire?
-skip

you are probably right and red certainly suggests the tyres are similar if not identical to a Dunlop sport touring tyre.

My fitter is only making a best guess as he has not see the D222, just had an email exchange. Dunlop don't publicise the spec of this tyre fitted only in factories.

As said above, I'm likely to go with the T30 which is Bridgestone's latest sport touring tyre with dual compound. The forerunner the BT002/020 were certainly a decent tyre. PR4s are dearer and more difficult to get hold of in this small isle as the seasonal riders take up the stock this time of year.

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member

I've been pleasantly surprised by the D222 as well.  It's pretty good in cold and wet (although I've not yet tried really wet).  On the sidewalls it's slippier than the PR3s.  Not enough to be really concerned about, especially given the class of bike, but I noticed and I'm likely to go back to PR3s as soon as I wear out the D222s.  (Or PR4s, maybe.  I can't remember what I liked better about the PR3s than PR4s, but there was something.) 

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

A good replacement for the D222 rear might be the Dunlop Roadsmart 2. Tread pattern is the same as the D222 and their are some good reviews on them. Some of the reviews were people who replaced their D222 with a Roadsmart 2 and had good things to say about this tire.

Kurt 

• 4 weeks later...
I just replaced the Roadsmart 2 rear with a PR-3 and the front D222 with a PR-4. I was surprised in that the usual great feel you get with new rubber wasn't there. This speaks well for the Dunlops as the good feel lasts a long time. I replaced the rear because it only had 1.75-2 mm to the wear bars and I have a 3500 mile ride next week. The front may have been good for another 1000m but pretty much used up at 10,600miles. Being that there is approx. 7mm of tread from the top to the bottom when new on the rears, that would have left approx. 2000 left on the rear tire, given that the first 5mm was used up in 5000 miles. I will save it for a time to use it. I just ordered new Roadsmart 2's for the front and back at $235 from Rockymountainatv.com. Until May 30 Dunlop has a $50 rebate on a set of Roadsmart 2s making the total cost about $185. That's about what a PR-3 or PR-4 costs for just the rear.

I enjoyed the Dunlop D222, worked well in the rain, and road very smooth. Did not like the 187 price tag. Had to replace the rear at 8460 mi. Installed Conti Motion tires, see how they do.
Where did you find the D222 for sale?  I have looked and can not find anybody that stocks them.  Therefore have moved on to the Roadsmart 2s, and have found them to be the same.

I enjoyed the Dunlop D222, worked well in the rain, and road very smooth. Did not like the 187 price tag. Had to replace the rear at 8460 mi. Installed Conti Motion tires, see how they do.
Where did you find the D222 for sale?  I have looked and can not find anybody that stocks them.  Therefore have moved on to the Roadsmart 2s, and have found them to be the same.

I was referring to the OEM tires. As for the replacement Road Smart 2, I did not want to pay the cost.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not crazy about the OEM Dunflops, they take a long time to heat up and they wear unevenly when ridden hard (cupping). They are not horrible though and gave a good overall performance on my latest trip to Tennessee and the Dragon. Once they are cooked, I'll be switching to Michelin Pilot Road 4s.

I run the Michelin Pilot Road 4 on all my bikes, except the R6 and supermoto, which I run stickier tires on. I have been very happy with the wear and performance of all of the Pilot Roads, and the 4 is my favorite so far.

Archived