WHAT TYRES ARE PEOPLE RUNNING???

Guest brianwindmill

I dumped the stock Dunlops as soon as I could, hated them. Couldn't feel anything, always felt like they were going to slip out from underneath me. Put on Pirelli Angel GT's. What a huge difference!!
Hey GregH, thanks for the quick report on The Angel GT's. This is what I am considering putting on next. I have a lot of straight roads I have to ride until I hit the twisties, so finding the OEM Dunlops squaring off in the middle of the rear. What do you mean by 'huge difference'? How do you find the GT's for sport riding and grip? How is the wear in the middle of the rear? How many miles/Km's do you think you will get out of them? Wet weather grip. Cheers
So far I love them. over 2,000 miles and no wear to speak of in the middle. No square edges showing up yet. They work great on the freeway and they feel fantastic in the twisties...more later as they wear. By huge difference I was talking about feel, I feel like I can get the bike leaned over way farther than with the Dunlops, the bike feels like it's more in touch with the road, I never question the front now...does that make sense? 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I did 2000 last week and can't figure out what partially used tire to install for the 1500 mile ride next week and the 2500 ride the following week.  Hot weather eats tires as does high speed cross country riding.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• 4 months later...
I have gone away from Bridgestones twice and regretted it both times. Currently own a 2002 FZ1, Fazer for those across the pond. I love the 5LC rear compound. Totally confidence inspiring. All the magazine reviews bagged on the hard Dunlop D222s on the FJ-09. I was thinking of replacing the tires on purchase to Bridgestone Hypersport S20 EVOs.

After hearing from all of you, maybe I'll wait until I wear them out.

The Dunlops are growing on me. As I learn the bike and push it harder they have kept up without anything crazy happening. used to run Michelin 2 CT on my FZ6 and those were amazeballs. I will probably go DS 90/10 on my next set as I like the fire service roads to much. THinking of Anakee's for the next run.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

I just replaced my rear with the PR4-GT .. //CDOG
Why did you go with the GT as it was designed for heavy sport touring bikes that have passengers? Are you loaded down?  Extra money spent that isn't necessary for the light weight FJ. Just wondering what your thoughts were.
I like wise have gone for the PR4 GT as there were no standard PR4 when I needed them I do a lot of 2 up riding and both myself and partner are not small people LOL thus far have found them extremely good and have completed 4,500 ks so far with no sign of any wear what so ever plus just about got rid of my chicken lines .I have always used PR2 ,PR3 ,PR4, on my last bike (08 R1) and have no doubt that the PR4 GT or other wise are the best all round tyre that I have ever used IMHO 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I don't mind the Dunlops, but when its time for new tires I will probably get some ContiRoadAttack or ContiSportAttack tires. I had a set on my '08 FZ6 and I really liked them. Haven't seen any mention of Continental tires in the thread. Anybody else have experience with Conti tires?

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Guest bruinfj09guy
I don't mind the Dunlops, but when its time for new tires I will probably get some ContiRoadAttack or ContiSportAttack tires. I had a set on my '08 FZ6 and I really liked them. Haven't seen any mention of Continental tires in the thread. Anybody else have experience with Conti tires?
I had Conti Motions on an old FZ1 of mine. They came on the bike and were relatively new when I got it. I think I did about 10k on them. The front still had a little meat and the back was far too bald. I took them both of and replaced them with Shinko Ravens, which lasted about another 10k. My riding was (and is) mostly commuting, so I went with cheap rubber since I was mostly wearing out the center strip on the freeway. 
I did what others did and replaced the stock rear with a Dunlop Roadsmart II, as the threads match. It seems as though the Roadsmart is holding up pretty well. The tire is also plenty sticky for my riding in the canyons. Then again I rode the Contis and the Shinkos in canyons a couple of times in the summer and had no issues; I think I have more confidence in the Roadsmarts, though.

I like what I'm hearing about the Pilots. I've never bit down on the cost, but maybe I'll try them for the next set, who knows. 

• Premium Member
Avons doing well on a mixture of good and crap surfaces in Luxembourg, Belgium and Germany. Plenty of grip in the Ardennois rain.See link above for my review
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I ordered a pr4 for the rear. I have about 3k mi on the stock and it doesn't feel as good as earlier to me. Esp with the gravel on the road we have here from winter.

I'm hoping the pr4 will do a touch better.

I'm running pr3s on my rt and I really like them esp in wet. They don't make a pr4 the that rear size

They are a bit slower turn in then the z6 i had before bit otherwise nicely neutral.

I've just ordered a set of Angel ST for mine (should be fitted next week - waiting for new stock).

I've run 2 x sets of PR4's on my Blackbird and I don't like them, so won't put them on the FJ09 - but each to their own.

BTW - the OEM Dunnies have lasted just short of 15,000 kilometres (front & rear).

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

• 1 month later...
I installed Michelin Power 3 (new version of old 2CT aka Michelin Pilot Power) best ever tyres so far. 190/50/17 on the rear. Amazing, cornering, traction, braking, reaction on handling, everything is just amazing. Stock tyres is trash.

Archived