WHAT TYRES ARE PEOPLE RUNNING???

Guest brianwindmill

Ok, so I've done 3000km in 4 weeks on the Angel ST's and am very happy with them. Dry and wet and they hang on.
We'll just have to see how long they last.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So was lucky enough to be selected by RoadRunner magazine to test the Metzeler Roadtec 01's.  Got some free rubber out of the deal :D .  Put some decent miles on this weekend heading up to Slimey Crud Run.  Unfortunately, in all conditions.  Happy to report they like the rain.  Stay tuned, keep you updated as the miles roll on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I am now running the Metzeler Roadtec 01's and love them. But they have only seen perfect weather conditions, so can't comment to much. Awesome in dry conditions though.
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

I'll be curios to see what mileage you get with the Angel GT and the Roadtecs. Was going to get one or the other but my local dealer sold me a PR3 for $138 so I figured wth. I'll have run that one ff by the end of the summer and I may switch to one of those next. Keep us posted on your mileage and thoughts on how they work please. The never ending quest for the tire that sticks like a cat on a screen door and goes 10k miles. ;-)

• Premium Member
I spent 23 years riding sportbikes and getting 2500 (or less) out of a rear. Since I am still just as aggressive with the throttle, if I can get 4500 miles out of the rear before it is too flat in the middle for pleasant riding, I am happy. I had to change the D222 rear a little early since I was leaving for a 3k ride and it looked more than half gone. The Roadsmart II rear lasted about 4500 miles. The stock front held out the whole 7k miles, but was done.
Have a little over 2k on the Roadtec's and they look great.

Since I only pleasure ride, I will change out tires before a trip even if they aren't spent. I'd rather have the better handling and better puncture resistance when I am headed far from home.

On a different note - A long, long time ago a dealer sold me a Dunlop 207 front he had left over. The 208 was the new tire at the time. The 207 turned out to be so old that when I put it on it just slid everywhere. I went right back and he gave me full credit towards a 208. So just be careful buying tires that aren't in current production (the PR3 might be, I don't know)
Cheers
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

• Premium Member
Michelin still list the PR2, PR3 and PR4 as current tyres - easy to check how old a tyre is, in Europe at least, as they have to carry the date made. Use within 5 years is Continental's advice http://www.conti-bike.co.uk/tyre-tech-talk/tyre-shelf-life/
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
I just placed my order to replace my OEM tyres tonight with a new set of Michelin PR4's. Can't wait to swap out for new rubber.
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• Premium Member
I just placed my order to replace my OEM tyres tonight with a new set of Michelin PR4's. Can't wait to swap out for new rubber.
Looking forward to a report, have my eye on them also. 

• Premium Member
Looking forward to a report, have my eye on them also.

+1
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

• Premium Member
My PR4's have shipped, I should have them tomorrow. :)
In preparation tonight, I removed the wheels from the bike & tossed 'em in the back of the RAV4. Removal was surprisingly easy given this was my first time on the FJ-09, although I expect a lot more swearing and cursing upon reinstallation. :P

My buddy at work has a full tire-changing setup, so tyres are shipping there to the office and I'll give him the wheels tomorrow. I also have my 90-degree valve stems to install on the wheels.

Hopefully by Sunday I should have them back, installed, and give my initial impressions. I expect they will meet or exceed all expectations. I absolutely loved the PR2's I had on the SV a few years ago. The PR4's are getting even higher reviews.

• Premium Member
Mmm. I love that new tyre smell in the morning.

20160519_193920_zpskkz5j6rv.jpg

• Premium Member
All mounted. After the monsoonal downpours pass I'll get it out for a test, but the brief initial test ride says these tyres are fab.

Archived