Favorite tires

Guest bmidd

Tires discussions can sometimes be like oil discussions...or the dreaded WD-40 on chain discussions!!

Just keeping it light and friendly, what is your favorite tire brand for sporty riding? I lean towards Michelin and more towards the PP3 as of late. 
I generally can get 2500-3000 miles out of a set of PP3's if its all street stuff. Twice that on PR2's. 
I tried a set of Dunlop Q3's on my Superhawk and got a whopping 1800 miles out of those, V-Twins can be a bit rougher on the rears when ridden hard.

I live in Chattanooga, TN and there are tons of good mountains to ride within an hours distance. Our Sunday group ride is usually backroads to Cherahola Skyway to Deals Gap and back home, about 300 miles round trip. I usually get 6-8 of those trips out of a set of tires depending which group I'm with. 

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd recommend this for tire posts: If you want to review a particular tire listing its' attributes and shortfalls - that can be good information. However, discussion about what tire somebody prefers for this, that or the other thing boils down to little more than opinions and you know what people say about opinions...

• Premium Member
I'd recommend this for tire posts: If you want to review a particular tire listing its' attributes and shortfalls - that can be good information. However, discussion about what tire somebody prefers for this, that or the other thing boils down to little more than opinions and you know what people say about opinions...
I tend to have a different opinion of tire posts for the following reasons: I like to know what types of riding a given rider prefers.
How long his tires lasted at his pace.
Most people know what a neutral feel is in a turn, or fast turn in. or slow turn in.
With that, the tire threads are of use to me.
For instance, on the FJR forum, people boasted of 10,000 miles out of a set of Michelin PP2s. I ended up getting 5,000 miles before the front tire edges were so worn down that the side wear bars were showing. It was a great tire when new, but actually scary in the turns when the knife edge showed up at 4,000 miles.
My next tire was a Bridgestone BT-030. Loved this tire, medium turn in effort when new, and perfect when worn. Great grip and a really neutral feeling in the turns, but alas, it only lasted 4,500 miles to the wear bars on the rear. IMO, that type of information is useful, much better than "ya, I kinda like them". I also like when a given rider compares the different tires they have used. That's how I roll. Now oil, that is subjective. (rofl)

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

All I asked was what peoples favorite tires are and listed mine. Kind of like opinions on dragging pegs, I've been riding 26 years and can count on my two thumbs the number of times I've dragged pegs and one of them was a lowside. :P  
I've done trackdays on PR2's and still got over 7500 miles out of them. I used to ride Michelin Pures on my R1's, but they would feel greasy when hot, might have had something to do with it being such a lightweight tire and getting a bit squirmy. Not the worlds biggest Dunlop fan, but in all fairness I was riding my Superhawk after swapping on a 954 front end and was getting the suspension sorted out. 

@ULEWZ, I think lee missed where I said I was keeping it light and friendly...

• 8 months later...
Guest bruinfj09guy
I tend to have a different opinion of tire posts for the following reasons: I like to know what types of riding a given rider prefers.
How long his tires lasted at his pace.
Most people know what a neutral feel is in a turn, or fast turn in. or slow turn in.
With that, the tire threads are of use to me.
For instance, on the FJR forum, people boasted of 10,000 miles out of a set of Michelin PP2s. I ended up getting 5,000 miles before the front tire edges were so worn down that the side wear bars were showing. It was a great tire when new, but actually scary in the turns when the knife edge showed up at 4,000 miles.
My next tire was a Bridgestone BT-030. Loved this tire, medium turn in effort when new, and perfect when worn. Great grip and a really neutral feeling in the turns, but alas, it only lasted 4,500 miles to the wear bars on the rear. IMO, that type of information is useful, much better than "ya, I kinda like them". I also like when a given rider compares the different tires they have used. That's how I roll. Now oil, that is subjective. (rofl)

Well, you know what they say about opinions on tire posts...  8-)

My rear is in need of replacement at 5500 mi. Looking at others' results, I fared ok. Now, I need to decide what to replace with. I ran a cheap set of Shinko Ravens on my 2005 FZ1 and got about 10k out of the rear. Probably not the stickiest, but it wasn't bad for the touring I do on the occasional twisty. Continental Motions were another low cost option that were on the Fz1 when I bought it.

Seeing as my front is still in good shape I will probably just replace the rear Dunlop, though.

I like the stock FJ 09 tires better than the stock FZ 09 tires. Had a 2014 FZ, and it tracked every rut in the road, squirmed over tar strips etc.

The tires on the 2015 FJ 09 are smoother, just as grippy feeling, and don't track ruts, tar strips etc. I'd buy another set, and that's a first for me ever on a stock tire opinion. ;)

But I've liked most supersport, multi-compound tires over the years, and I have to admit it's more about what they cost, and what deal I can get over who's name is on the sidewall.

Sticky tires are sticky tires for the most part, some are harder or softer, might track better or worse, and turn in faster feeling based on profile etc.

But I'm cheap, so it comes down to cost. They all wear out in the end. ;)

+1 to both points!

The tires on the 2015 FJ 09 are smoother, just as grippy feeling, and don't track ruts, tar strips etc. I'd buy another set, and that's a first for me ever on a stock tire opinion. ;)

2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
I like the stock FJ 09 tires better than the stock FZ 09 tires. Had a 2014 FZ, and it tracked every rut in the road, squirmed over tar strips etc. 

But I've liked most supersport, multi-compound tires over the years, and I have to admit it's more about what they cost, and what deal I can get over who's name is on the sidewall.

Sticky tires are sticky tires for the most part, some are harder or softer, might track better or worse, and turn in faster feeling based on profile etc.

D222 stock tyres are not available on the retail market - I bought a rear Roadsmart 2 to pair with the part worn front. Works well

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I have been a fan of Pirelli Rosso Corsas and Rosso II. Has anyone here tried Bridgestone RS10? If so, can you give a mileage reference for them as well some other tires you've used. Motomummy is running a deal for this weekend on the Bridgestones.
2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09

• 2 weeks later...

Archived