Favorite tires

Guest bmidd

I use Bridgestone T30's on my FJR, VFR, and NT 650GT. With smooth tourist type of riding I get 7ish K on the FR and 9K or so on the GT. But the GT gets the hammer on occasion. They wear even and have no "cupping" issues. Best economy from the tires is clean fork oil in the front and lube the rear suspension points and after market shocks. The FJR hated the Michellins, liked the Dunlops and is best with the Bridgestones. The Gt will take anything but is really balanced with the T30s

My FJ has Dunlops (good tires) but I will go to T 30's when the time comes.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It always amazes me how a set of rubber clad hoops can instill so many different sentiments. The bottom line is that there is a dazzling variety of riding styles and conditions out there. The latter, coupled with the fact that we all tend to feel things a little differently as well as interpret that information in varied ways, is what keeps tire manufacturers in business, and threads like this one going.
Makes for interesting reading to be sure.
My own experience on the FJ's factory rubber has been positive. Milage has not been amazing, but that did not surprise me. A lot of OEM tires, such as the 222, may seem like an over the counter model, but do not have the same tread depth nor compounds and technology. At 3100mi, spent mainly in a spirited manner on roads with a lot of curves, the wear-bars are contacting the road surface, and the sides are worn smooth - no Dunlop signs to be seen. The tires delivered fun, enjoyable riding for me, slipping only due to debris on the road. The few wet outings I was lucky enough to spend wandering the roads did not result in any raised hair.
Having usually trusted Pirelli, Metzler and Continetal on my other bikes, I figured that more exposure to Dunlop may be a good idea, and therefore Roadsmart II hoops will replace the OEM tires on the bike by the end of the week. Still undecided if the front will get the axe as well. From an economical perspective, it would make sense to only change the rear, but from an experience point of view it would be better to have new, matching rubber in the front also. Oh well - part of the fun of decision making are the head games we play.
So keep the experiences , riding impressions and opinions coming. Always great to read about someone else's perspective!
Be safe and enjoy the ride!!

• Premium Member
Avon Storm 2 review http://fj-09.org/thread/3216/avon-storm-2-ultra-tyres

Seems they are cheap in the UK but not USA, presumably get penalised by an import duty on UK made goods, unlike the other European makers who have factories inside the American trade zones. Which is rather perverse considering Avon is owned by the US company, Cooper Tires.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Cannot comment on Avon's US price structure, but can say that they are not more expensive than other premium tires. A 180/55R17 Storm 3D runs around $185, Michelin PR4 $190, Pirelli Angel GT $183. All around the same mark.
Have run Avon before, but, alas, only a very short time, as the Duc I had them on had a premature, rider induced (I might add), case of total loss crashitis.
Good point though - should give them another try.

Done just over 3,000 miles on the stock D222 tyres on my bike.... I doubt i'll even get to 4,000 before the rear is illegal. Not happy with this sort of wear rate at all.
Thinking about putting some dual sport tyres on next. I like the look of them, they handle well enough for me and i get decent mileage from em.
I was very happy with the Conti Trail Attack i had on my S10, so i may give em a go on my Tracer if i can get the sizes.

Anyone else used dual sport tyres on the 09 ?
I used to own an '02 Kawasaki ZX9R sportbike and an '08 BMW R1200GS. Over the years I ran a wide variety of tire brands and models. However, the only two times I ever went down was on Michelin due to cold temperatures, which obviously was not entirely the fault of the tires. That said my own preference is to get a brand of tire that is not Michelin - again, my own $0.02. 
In August I got an FJ to replace the other two bikes. The stock 222's seem fine. However, I often ride with a KLR so I'd like to get a set of dual sport "light" tires when the stockers wear out so I can at least ride on forest roads with a little more confidence. I'm thinking Metzler Tourance Nexts, Continental Trail Attacks or Pirelli Scorpions. Has anyone tried these on the FJ?

Done just over 3,000 miles on the stock D222 tyres on my bike.... I doubt i'll even get to 4,000 before the rear is illegal. Not happy with this sort of wear rate at all.
Thinking about putting some dual sport tyres on next. I like the look of them, they handle well enough for me and i get decent mileage from em.
I was very happy with the Conti Trail Attack i had on my S10, so i may give em a go on my Tracer if i can get the sizes.

Anyone else used dual sport tyres on the 09 ?
I used to own an '02 Kawasaki ZX9R sportbike and an '08 BMW R1200GS. Over the years I ran a wide variety of tire brands and models. However, the only two times I ever went down was on Michelin due to cold temperatures, which obviously was not entirely the fault of the tires. That said my own preference is to get a brand of tire that is not Michelin - again, my own $0.02. 
In August I got an FJ to replace the other two bikes. The stock 222's seem fine. However, I often ride with a KLR so I'd like to get a set of dual sport "light" tires when the stockers wear out so I can at least ride on forest roads with a little more confidence. I'm thinking Metzler Tourance Nexts, Continental Trail Attacks or Pirelli Scorpions. Has anyone tried these on the FJ?

Jpdx,
I have had the same thoughts about putting a set of adventure 'light' tires on the FJ.
Though I have not had any dealings with he Continetal Trail Attacks, I did run TKC80, Scorpions and Tourance Next sets on a Versys 650.
In that application I ended up choosing the Metzler Tourance Next as my go to tire. I was able to obtain decent milage, and had a lot of fun with them in the twisty mountain roads that I feequent around here. Worked well in rain and dry, were confidence inspiring and never caused any issues. They even reacted quite well to a little gravel in the road, though in that regard the afore mentioned TKC80 were superior. Based on the fact that the Conti Trail Attack tires were chosen by KTM for their 1190, I have a funny feeling that they would lend themselves quite well to the FJ09 also.
I would be very interested to hear about your eventual choice and results thereof.

All the best from the Rockies.

I've got 5700 miles on the stockers. Time has come to swap em out. My guy said I've got about 500-1000 left on the tire before its completely shot, but I don't feel like getting to that point.

Based on the rave reviews, I think I'm gonna go with the Pilot Road 4's. I'd love to put a more adventure inspired tire on the bike, but I just don't go off the pavement enough to rationalize that decision.

I've got 5700 miles on the stockers. Time has come to swap em out. My guy said I've got about 500-1000 left on the tire before its completely shot, but I don't feel like getting to that point. 
Based on the rave reviews, I think I'm gonna go with the Pilot Road 4's. I'd love to put a more adventure inspired tire on the bike, but I just don't go off the pavement enough to rationalize that decision.
I've like the stock tires ok except I think that maybe gravel bits on the road affect them a bit more than my other tires and I think wet braking is a touch less. And the rear is wearing pretty fast but I've been kind of hard on them. 
I am probably going to go to pr4s based on reviews and how well I like my pr3s on my RT.  Amazing in the rain.

Redfjniner said he didn't like the pr4s in the twisties.  I have noticed that pr3s are little slower to turn in than some other tires, but aside from that they feel great to me.  Very stable.  Wonder what he didn't like.

One thing I noticed about the stock tires is that they really are less affected by the wavy lines in the asphalt we have here alot.  Don't know if it is the tread pattern or the fact that they both are slightly wider than my other bike tires. 

I bought a manual tire changer so it's not as big a deal anymore for me to replace tires. 

New Roadsmart II front and rear. Figured it would make an interesting comparison to the OEM look-alike tripple - deuces.
At 3200mi, the original rear really had to go.
Scrubbed the new rubber in, and now for some road time.

Hope many of you get to hit the roads this weekend. We have snow returning midweek...

• Premium Member
I just installed Metzeler Roadtec 01's. Have about 150 miles on them. So far so good, but the one ride I had was done under ideal conditions.
While I liked the Roadsmart 2's, I decided to try something else.
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

• 1 year later...
Have not put the Conti Trail Attack 2's on the FJ yet. I do like them a lot on the Super Tenere. A friend of mine has however. He loved the Trail Attack 2 on the rear. Said the front was a bit stiff so it lacked feedback a little bit. Mileage has been impressive. He's at over 6500 miles and says tires look great. Like me he has a Super Tenere that he runs Trail Attack 2's on also.

Given how long it last on the ST I can't help but expect at least 7,500 miles +/- on the Primarily Chip and Seal roads I ride on. They are going on next.

I put Avon Trailriders on my FJ09. I just went on a 1000+ mile trip, including a fair amount of rutty gravel roads, and so far I'm impressed with them. They seem very capable on dry pavement and do better than I expected for a "90/10" on/off road tire. As I put on more miles I'll post how they are wearing.

Archived