Grip Heaters How To (OEM)

ULEWZ

• Premium Member
A few have installed the factory heated grips, and said it was easy, but......
1. Unscrew the allen bolt at the end of the hand guards, both sides and position the hand guards down a bit.
2. Using a thin/long flat blade screwdriver, loosen the left grip from the handlebar.
3. Using an air compressor with high pressure nozzle, blow the grip off the handlebar. It comes right off if done right.
4. Using a number 12 allen wrench, remove the internal nut piece that the hand guard bolts screw into, both sides.

20150223_093914.jpg
5. Add grip glue to the left grip heater and slide on using the orientation shown below. (I use Aquanet hairspray, and always have with great results, let dry overnight).
5.1. Install the previously removed internal nut piece into the threads in the left handlebar end.
5.2 Secure the hand guard to the handlebar using the previously removed allen screw and washer/metal pieces.

20150223_154725.jpg
6. Remove the right side fairings, upper and lower, as well as the top black plastic guard that goes around the top of the tank.
7. Unscrew the two allen screws securing the the throttle cables to the throttle cam. Note the position of the cables as seen below.

20150223_093929.jpg

7. Slide the rubber guard back from the two throttle cables.
8. Here is hardest thing to understand IMO, the throttle side wire orientation. See below and note the two rubber grommets that go into the lower cable housing.

20150223_101232.jpg

9. Lubricate the heater wire with lithium grease where it will ride in the lower cable housing. I use Maxima waterproof grease in the blue container.
10. Install the plastic shroud over the now coiled electrical wire and secure with the supplied screw.

20150223_101825.jpg

11. Install the throttle tube heater over the right handlebar end.
12. Install the upper throttle cable in the upper throttle cam hole.
13. Install the lower throttle cable from the bottom onto the lower throttle cam hole.

20150223_102414.jpg

14. Secure the upper throttle cable cover with the two allen screws previously removed.
15. Ensure the throttle turns with no binding and snaps right back (may need to move the handguard out of the way to prevent binding at this point).
16. Using the kit supplied nut piece, screw into the end of the right handlebar end.
17. Secure the right handguard using the previously removed allen screw and washer/metal pieces.
18. Slide the rubber boot back on the cable ends.
19. Route the wires to the electrical plugs on the right side (see pictures below for electrical wiring routing).

20150223_154756.jpg

20. Test the grip heaters by turning on the motor, select Menu (top left switch), and toggle the up down switch to turn the grip heaters on. (Note, the highest setting will have three arrows, and off will have no arrows. To return to normal menu items, just select the Menu button again).

20150913_114533.jpg
Left grip

Grip_Heater_Dash.jpg

Right side

20150223_154814.jpg

Left to center

20150223_154826.jpg

Here is a link to setting the grip controller intensity: linky

• Thumbsup 1
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Excellent, thanks for that! Yes, more pics please! 
I'll be doing this installation too, and I suck at this type of work...

BTW, nice Freudian slip in the subject title!  ;)
Sorry, just a simple typo and the software does not let me fix it even as a Moderator. It should be How To, but I like the Freudian slip thing. :D 
Added more routing pictures.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Thank you for the excellent tutorial. I will be using this in the next few weeks. 
craig
Great, let us know how it goes. ::) 
Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hello fellow FJ lovers

I wanted to let you all know that I just installed my heated grips this past weekend and if anyone would like to know more about it, I'm happy to share.  It is a "simple" install, but a few tips will make the difference.  First tip, make sure you keep all fasteners with each panel you remove.  There are many different fastner typs and very easy to get them mixed up if you just plop them into bowl.  Tip 2, you will need a 12mm hex bolt (also know has an allen key) to take off the throttle grip.  I say this because most kits you buy will only go up to 10mm and you will likely have to go to an automotive shop to get that size.  

I did take some pictures too, if anyone needs them.  The ride to work this morning a bit warmer.

Paul

• Premium Member
Hello fellow FJ lovers 
I wanted to let you all know that I just installed my heated grips this past weekend and if anyone would like to know more about it, I'm happy to share.  It is a "simple" install, but a few tips will make the difference.  First tip, make sure you keep all fasteners with each panel you remove.  There are many different fastner typs and very easy to get them mixed up if you just plop them into bowl.  Tip 2, you will need a 12mm hex bolt (also know has an allen key) to take off the throttle grip.  I say this because most kits you buy will only go up to 10mm and you will likely have to go to an automotive shop to get that size.  

I did take some pictures too, if anyone needs them.  The ride to work this morning a bit warmer.

Paul
Did you peruse the how to section? linky  (rofl) Already a nice write up with pictures, but I am happy to add to the procedure if you find an error or suggestion.  
Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I did a search for anyone else's posts, but obviously missed your excellent instructions.  Your pictures are great and a great job on the write up, I wish I'd been clever enough to see it first.  

My only other "tip" would be to make sure that the routing of the new cables does not interfere with the movement of the steering.  I know you illustrated the wiring route very well, but I'd emphasis that a bit more as once it's on and tighten up, it would suck to re-do it or even worse, yank or pinch a cable.  

Great job on the pictures.  Thanks.  

• Premium Member
I did a search for anyone else's posts, but obviously missed your excellent instructions.  Your pictures are great and a great job on the write up, I wish I'd been clever enough to see it first.   
My only other "tip" would be to make sure that the routing of the new cables does not interfere with the movement of the steering.  I know you illustrated the wiring route very well, but I'd emphasis that a bit more as once it's on and tighten up, it would suck to re-do it or even worse, yank or pinch a cable.  

Great job on the pictures.  Thanks.  
No problem, I will merge this with my install to capture your good advice. super_zpsd4x7by7h.gif 
Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Take a long thin blade screwdriver and insert between grip and barrel. Then twist screwdriver handle to work blade around barrel. You can spray Windex between grip and barrel to make it slide off easier. Be careful not to poke a hole in the grip while inserting the screwdriver. Good luck.