Grip Heaters How To (OEM)

ULEWZ

• Premium Member
I should have looked for this before I did my installation, I would have known I needed a 12mm allen key in advance rather than staring at it and swearing because the local hardware store was not open on Sunday :-).

Step #9 mentions lubing the wire, but the pictures don't seem to show much in the way of lube. I copiously greased the wire loop, the throttle shroud, and the plastic guide with silicon grease. No sense in going light on the lube on a piece that is definitely going to slide around a lot and that you really don't ever want to bind.

I didn't bother to pull out the compressor to blow off the left grip. I pried it away from the bar with a screwdriver and then poured in some alcohol. That dissolved the glue in short order and lubed everything up for easy removal. It went much easier than other grips I've had to remove.

I too used extra zip ties. The throttle side wire in particular flopped around too much before I zipped it to one of the throttle cables.

I don't know if it's just my imagination, but it seems like I get more vibration through these grips than the originals. I had one hand practically go to sleep just riding a half hour to an errand this morning. I've had that happen before, but usually on long highway drones not little backroads. Anyone else notice this?
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
Oh, I attempted to even the heat left to right by putting some shrinkwrap tubing over the bar and under the grip for extra insulation. I had no luck trying to get the grip over the tubing without it coming unglued and bunching up, even using (much stronger) spray glue rather than hairspray. After a couple of tries I gave up on that and just glued the grip on the naked bar, but thinking about it afterward I should have cut a double-length portion of the shrinkwrap, glued and shrunk it to the bar, with a floppy end sticking out over the end of the bar long enough that I can pull it completely through the grip and hold it while I pushed the grip on. Then I could have cut the tubing to the right length after it was all together.

In quick testing last night the heat doesn't seem to be as uneven as some have suggested, but it's not really cold yet; if I get annoyed by unevenness later in the season I will try the shrinkwrap again.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Oh, I attempted to even the heat left to right by putting some shrinkwrap tubing over the bar and under the grip for extra insulation. I had no luck trying to get the grip over the tubing without it coming unglued and bunching up, even using (much stronger) spray glue rather than hairspray. After a couple of tries I gave up on that and just glued the grip on the naked bar, but thinking about it afterward I should have cut a double-length portion of the shrinkwrap, glued and shrunk it to the bar, with a floppy end sticking out over the end of the bar long enough that I can pull it completely through the grip and hold it while I pushed the grip on. Then I could have cut the tubing to the right length after it was all together. 
In quick testing last night the heat doesn't seem to be as uneven as some have suggested, but it's not really cold yet; if I get annoyed by unevenness later in the season I will try the shrinkwrap again.

I used 2 layers of electrical tape for insulation being very careful to make it even. I didn't bother with glue. It's on there very solid without it. I used alcohol to help get the grip on. If it loosens up, I'll glue it. It's still a little uneven heat. The colder it is outside the more uneven it is.

I used a small amount of gorilla marine glue, specifically to resist water and because the drying time is 2 hours vs 5-30 seconds of many other glues - I pictured getting the grip half on and then having the glue dry and prevent finishing the job.

My big issue is that the next day I'm getting a really annoying rattling sound from the right side of my bike and I have no clue why. I took it back apart to see if a screw had come loose or something, but I can't find anything. All I can tell is it is coming from somewhere between the gearbox and the top of the right cylinder. Then suddenly it disappeared when I shifted into 5th gear and was no longer present in any gear. But now it's coming back...hopefully not something loose in the gearbox or something. BAH!
//QED

• 2 weeks later...
Took me an hour to install today. Not including the 2 hours for me to find a hardware store that sells a 12mm allen key. The hardest part for me was getting the wire into the guide, which I found to be unnecessarily confusing, but i eventually figured it out and lubed it up. Perfect time for it too, time for foliage rides!

• Premium Member
Not including the 2 hours for me to find a hardware store that sells a 12mm allen key.
I wonder how many of us were caught out by that.  The biggest I had was a 10mm. 
I used some vice grips to get it off, seeing as the hardware store near my house was closed for the day.  Made a bit of a mess of the bar end in the process, but it worked. :-)

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Not including the 2 hours for me to find a hardware store that sells a 12mm allen key.
I used some vice grips to get it off, seeing as the hardware store near my house was closed for the day.  Made a bit of a mess of the bar end in the process, but it worked. :-)

I was double caught out! My brother had gotten me a set of allens 3/8" drive last Christmas... he had asked me if I wanted the set that goes up to 10mm or 14? I said 10 was plenty big.  
Then I bought an FJ-09. Yep, 14mm front wheel, 12 for the grips....  :P

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

• Premium Member

I was double caught out! My brother had gotten me a set of allens 3/8" drive last Christmas... he had asked me if I wanted the set that goes up to 10mm or 14? I said 10 was plenty big.  
Then I bought an FJ-09. Yep, 14mm front wheel, 12 for the grips....  :P

Hah!  I haven't needed to remove the front wheel yet, but in response to not having the 12mm I bought a set of allen sockets that happened to have a 14mm.  Bonus! 
Next up I get to determine if I have the right sizes for the rear axle so I can adjust the chain tension.  Survey says....
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
Thanks for the instructions and pictures. My friend and I installed my heated grips last night easily with this post.
My pleasure. clap_zpsdyza0r53.gif 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member
Thank you
My pleasure. 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• 1 month later...

I don't know if it's just my imagination, but it seems like I get more vibration through these grips than the originals. I had one hand practically go to sleep just riding a half hour to an errand this morning. I've had that happen before, but usually on long highway drones not little backroads. Anyone else notice this?
Do you still feel you get more vibration through the heated grips? 
Does anyone else notice this?