Grip Heaters How To (OEM)

ULEWZ

Thanks or the useful instruction and good photos.  I did notice Yamaha's instruction mentions silicone grease rather than the lithium grease you suggest in step #9.  I just used some lithium grease I had on hand.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
The pictures were very helpful. Thank you very much for that. Much clearer than the instructions that came with the grips. I will say the toughest part was the left grip, both getting the stock one off and the new one on. The rest of it just took patience to figure out the best way to route things and get back together. The loop in the wire on the right side was weird and tricky to get but once it was together it went just fine.

My grips finally arrived! I fitted them yesterday, and have a couple more tips to add:

- I found it easier to do the cable looping and fitting of the plastic guide on the bench. The screw for the guide is tiny, and can be easily dropped if trying to hold everything on the bike.

- Get some extra cable ties, there are only 3 supplied with the kit, and I feel that the cables need to be secured in more points than that.

- The new throttle tube is dry, so don't forget to apply a thin film of lithium grease to the handlebar to keep it twisting smooth. Also grease the areas where the cable barrels insert.

- The kit has a new bar-end mount supplied for the throttle side. Don't forget to fit it!

Guest rszk
I want to thank ULEWZ for initiating this thread. I had my heated grips on backorder since March and got them in just before my trip. I decided against putting them in until after as I was not going to need them with the extremely high temperatures we were getting.
I just installed them today. Very easy installation. I've done other brands before, but not the OEM Yamaha's. The Yamaha instructions coupled with these online pictorials made it a painless affair.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
You guys all make it sound so easy, but the instructions are a little intimidating as I have no experience with messing with a bike to this extent. I like to think I'm a smart guy and I've done superficial installs like hardbags, back rests, winshields, etc, but I'm wondering if I would be out of my depth in attempting this.

I'm always up for a challenge, but I don't want to f*** up my bike. Can anyone comment as to whether this is a reasonable project for someone with very little experience in such things? Much appreciated.
//QED

• Premium Member
I'm kinda in the same boat as you @nihilist. Granted, I did my own throttle body sync and removed my ECU to get it flashed.  But, those looked pretty easy and I knew I could stop at any time I felt over my head. I still haven't decided if I'm going to order the heated grips (I'm not sure they're needed here in Texas), but if I do, I'll still need to decide if I want to install them myself or pay the dealer.

• Premium Member
You guys all make it sound so easy, but the instructions are a little intimidating as I have no experience with messing with a bike to this extent. I like to think I'm a smart guy and I've done superficial installs like hardbags, back rests, winshields, etc, but I'm wondering if I would be out of my depth in attempting this. 
I'm always up for a challenge, but I don't want to f*** up my bike. Can anyone comment as to whether this is a reasonable project for someone with very little experience in such things? Much appreciated.
Easy weasy. If you can wipe your a$$, you can do this. Maybe a little hyperbole, but you get the point. I will be available when you try this incase you run into problems but I don't think it will be required. Buy the kit, take it out of the box and ask away after you review the pictures and writeup. If you are ever in So. Cal I will do it for you.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• 4 weeks later...
Easy weasy. If you can wipe your a$$, you can do this. Maybe a little hyperbole, but you get the point. I will be available when you try this incase you run into problems but I don't think it will be required. Buy the kit, take it out of the box and ask away after you review the pictures and writeup. If you are ever in So. Cal I will do it for you.

It seems you were indeed correct.  There was nothing particularly difficult about the install - it was merely a bit fiddly at some points.   
The air compressor trick worked amazingly well, but the trick was figuring out how to do it right.  Once you do, the grip blows up and slides off.  

The fairings were annoying because the right side doesn't fit precisely the same as the left.  There is a very slight gap between the upper fairing and the the headlight cowl/assembly.  This drove me nuts and took the most time of the whole process.

All in all, not nearly as difficult as I had feared.  And holy crap do those grips get hot!  The default high setting is 5 or 6 (I haven't checked), and it's painfully hot.  I can't imagine having it set to 10!  I'm pretty sure that's 1st degree burns territory.

Thanks for the encouragement!
//QED

The left side is oh-my-gawd-falling-off-a-curb-and-landing-on-my-butt easy. Seriously.

The throttle side is a little more tricky, due to the loop you need to add, to let the throttle move freely. Not that bad, and the post REALLY helps. Just pay close attention to how the throttle cables come off the bike and you'll be fine. They really are plug&play.

Happy Hands.

Ha you guys saved your stock grips? I cut those suckers off lol. My air compressor decided it didn't' want to work. Besides, new grips (if I wanted to take off the heated?) are $10.

I'm pretty used to cutting off my grips each race season and adding new ones so I guess I didn't have any reservation about doing it haha.

Oh yea, and I've seen it mentioned before, but hair spray works great instead of grip glue.