Grip Heaters How To (OEM)

ULEWZ

Great job showing how installation is really quite easy if you take it step by step. I installed these factory Yamaha grips on my 2015 and they are superb. With a heated jacket liner (see my post on this) my bike is now a three season, and sometimes even a four season bike. These factory units that plug right in and use the bikes interface are the way to go.

• 4 months later...

A little late to the thread, but I fitted the OEM heated grips to a 2019 Tracer 900 and a couple of things are different, so I thought like contributing back.

1- I was prepared (or so I thought) with a 12mm hex socket, but the 2019 has 14mm screws on the handlebar!!! Off I went to the hardware store to buy another socket.

2- I did not replace the right side inner screw, as a) the one that came on the bike was identical to the one on the kit on every dimension, EXCEPT b) on the size of the hex slot. The one on the kit was indeed 12 mm, and so the washer from the handguard would not fit in, leaving the handguard wobbling. I re-installed the original inner screw back (the one with a 14mm slot) and now all is well.

Hope this helps anyone with a 2019 Tracer!

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Cropduster, Just check that the original inner screw dosn,t foul the throttle grip when the heated grips are on. When I fitted the OEM grips to my 17 plate bike I used the original inner screw because I thought they were the same. When I used the heated grips on the hottest setting the thermal expansion of the grip acted like a throttle lock (it did feel good to have cruise control for a wee while.)

When I checked later there was a very small difference in the shape of the inner screw that came supplied with the heated grips kit to give a little more clearence in use.

HGP61, thanks for reaching back, I'll definitely keep an eye on it. They look pretty identical to me (except for the inner slot size), and from looking at the screw taken off of the bike on the related videos on this thread, it was definitely very different from the screw supplied with the kit.

If I get to disassembling it again for peace of mind, I'll take some pictures of both screws (and maybe measure them with a caliper) and will report back.

• 3 years later...