FJ-09 vs CB500X? Loved the FJ, but need your opinions...

Hello everyone.

First post here, and I want to thank you in advance for reading this puppy!  Safe to say, I do an extreme amount of research prior to purchasing just about anything, keeps that buyers remorse to a minimum. 

About me:  I've only been riding for about 6 months and I currently own a Honda Rebel.  I thought I would be able to take that on long multi-day trips (was loving the 80 mpg), but soon discovered it's difficult and holds little to no luggage. I do enjoy going on some seriously long rides (8-12 hour days) and soon realize an adventure bike or sport tourer would foot the bill.

I've since been looking at picking up a Honda CB500X for the last few months and have been awaiting the 2015 because of the color.  I liked the CB500X so much (but haven't ridden one yet) I went into the local dealer to ask when the 15's could be ordered or released.  While there, the FJ really caught my eye.  The styling, the cluster, and then I Googled the horsepower on the FJ and my jaw dropped.  All of this for $10K?  So now I've been debating my love for the CB500X and have some pros and cons below.

Pros

[span]    [/span]-Engine and passing ability
[span]    [/span]-Traction control
[span]    [/span]-multiple modes for power
[span]    [/span]-DC outlet
[span]    [/span]-Looks

Cons

[span]    [/span]-Price, $3K more
[span]    [/span]-MPG.  40 compared to 60-65
[span]    [/span]-I have a tiny inseam, about 27.5 inches.  The CB I can pull off, but would need the short seat for the FJ.

So a few questions for everyone:

1)  Has anyone ridden both by chance? Coming from a rebel, I really enjoy that it's light and nimble, almost easy to toss around. Both of these bikes are close in weight, but don't really know how either handle.
2)  Has anyone noticed a huge hike in insurance?  I can call my provider, but I know some have had troubles with it not being listed in their system.
3)  Does anyone have a great recommendation in LA for pricing?  Or know of any that would offer to let me test ride it before purchase? 
4)  How does the FJ perform off road?  I am not planning on doing any serious expeditions, but I do enjoy a forest service road every now and then, essentially a dirt path.  
5)  Any other thoughts?  I'm sure I'm missing a ton of things, but the FJ has been on the brain for a week! 

Thanks again for all of your help and input.  Looking forward to your thoughts.  -Jeff

• Premium Member
The F-Jay is a better bike no matter how you slice it, but, your 27.5 inch inseam may be an issue. The power you can easily grow into, by using B mode until you are comfortable. The F-Jay handles better, and is just a tad heavier, 462 vs 430 lbs. If you can handle the higher seat, buy the F-Jay. Otherwise mother Honda is calling.
Oh, try Semi Valley Cycles. They let my wife test ride her Street Triple before buying it, but the F-Jay is selling so fast, it may be an issue.

linky

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Welcome and thanks for joining us. I will warn you, this is the FJ-09 forums so we might be a little biased. Myself, I think that the FJ-09 will get to 115MPH alot faster, but then after that the CB500X will blow a stock FJ-09 away. ECU flashing will be very popular.

Hello everyone. 
First post here, and I want to thank you in advance for reading this puppy!  Safe to say, I do an extreme amount of research prior to purchasing just about anything, keeps that buyers remorse to a minimum. 

About me:  I've only been riding for about 6 months and I currently own a Honda Rebel.  I thought I would be able to take that on long multi-day trips (was loving the 80 mpg), but soon discovered it's difficult and holds little to no luggage. I do enjoy going on some seriously long rides (8-12 hour days) and soon realize an adventure bike or sport tourer would foot the bill.

I've since been looking at picking up a Honda CB500X for the last few months and have been awaiting the 2015 because of the color.  I liked the CB500X so much (but haven't ridden one yet) I went into the local dealer to ask when the 15's could be ordered or released.  While there, the FJ really caught my eye.  The styling, the cluster, and then I Googled the horsepower on the FJ and my jaw dropped.  All of this for $10K?  So now I've been debating my love for the CB500X and have some pros and cons below.

Pros

[span]    [/span]-Looks

Cons

[span]    [/span]-I have a tiny inseam, about 27.5 inches.  The CB I can pull off, but would need the short seat for the FJ.

1)  Has anyone ridden both by chance? Coming from a rebel, I really enjoy that it's light and nimble, almost easy to toss around. Both of these bikes are close in weight, but don't really know how either handle.
2)  Has anyone noticed a huge hike in insurance?  I can call my provider, but I know some have had troubles with it not being listed in their system.
3)  Does anyone have a great recommendation in LA for pricing?  Or know of any that would offer to let me test ride it before purchase? 
4)  How does the FJ perform off road?  I am not planning on doing any serious expeditions, but I do enjoy a forest service road every now and then, essentially a dirt path.  
5)  Any other thoughts?  I'm sure I'm missing a ton of things, but the FJ has been on the brain for a week! 

Thanks again for all of your help and input.  Looking forward to your thoughts.  -Jeff

The F-Jay is a better bike no matter how you slice it, but, your 27.5 inch inseam may be an issue. The power you can easily grow into, by using B mode until you are comfortable. The F-Jay handles better, and is just a tad heavier, 462 vs 430 lbs. If you can handle the higher seat, buy the F-Jay. Otherwise mother Honda is calling. Oh, try Semi Valley Cycles. They let my wife test ride her Street Triple before buying it, but the F-Jay is selling so fast, it may be an issue.

linky

Hey thanks!  I know my inseam is the issue, but my pops is egging me on, offering to purchase the lower seat for me.  That and handling are my concerns.  I don't want something that is not as agile as the CB, and they are similar in weight so I would assume they handle equally.  Have you ridden both before?

My pops also mentioned Semi, so I will give them a shot.  I hope no one buys an FJ until I do :)

Welcome and thanks for joining us. I will warn you, this is the FJ-09 forums so we might be a little biased. Myself, I think that the FJ-09 will get to 115MPH alot faster, but then after that the CB500X will blow a stock FJ-09 away. ECU flashing will be very popular.  
Hi Cruizin.

I have no doubt that it would destroy a CB.  The Cb only has 47 hp.  Not that 47 horsepower is terrible by any means, but I don't plan on ever taking the bike over 115.  I'm 31, enjoy the twisties, but don't really fashion myself as a hooligan.  Maybe the FJ would change that, who knows.

Hello everyone. 

Pros

[span]    [/span]-Looks

Cons

The F-Jay is a better bike no matter how you slice it, but, your 27.5 inch inseam may be an issue. The power you can easily grow into, by using B mode until you are comfortable. The F-Jay handles better, and is just a tad heavier, 462 vs 430 lbs. If you can handle the higher seat, buy the F-Jay. Otherwise mother Honda is calling. Oh, try Semi Valley Cycles. They let my wife test ride her Street Triple before buying it, but the F-Jay is selling so fast, it may be an issue.

linky

Hey thanks!  I know my inseam is the issue, but my pops is egging me on, offering to purchase the lower seat for me.  That and handling are my concerns.  I don't want something that is not as agile as the CB, and they are similar in weight so I would assume they handle equally.  Have you ridden both before? 
My pops also mentioned Semi, so I will give them a shot.  I hope no one buys an FJ until I do :)

It sounds like you saw an FJ-09 'in the flesh' at the dealer. How was it when you test sat on the bike?
Were you in your riding boots? When you bought your riding boots, did you pick a pair with tall soles? (I mean tall in the front. Tall heels only counts on the FJ for folks with about 31.5" inseams and up.)
I have a 30" inseam barefoot. In my riding boots, my ankles are bent about 45 degrees on the FJ.
If your pops really wants you on the FJ, tell him to ante up the extra $3,000. ;)

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

My first bike (last season) was a Honda CBR500RA, mechanically nearly the same as the X. It was a great first bike for me and I found it to be a very fun bike. As far as the comment on it surpassing 115mph....not quite. I saw 178kmh and it was nearing the rev limiter...so it would only do 115mph too but for a different reason. Basically the bike would have kept my interest if it had 20-25 more hp, because it was so easy to ride and handled well and was cheap to operate. This, however, is where my usefulness in contributing to this thread will come to an end. I have not yet ridden my FJ09....but can tell you after much research I know it fits the bill in retaining all I liked about my last bike and ticks the boxes on my wishlist composed of its shortcomings. Its alot of bike for us novices, but have respect for the power and work up gradually and this could be a great bike for you....if the ergos can be set up to suit. Good luck with your decision!
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

Thanks everyone.

I did sit on it and it was pretty tall. I was not in my boots, but my boots are not very thick to begin with, so i think that would barely alter my height. So, I think the lowering seat would be needed. Ironically, the FJ with the lowering seat is the exact height of the cb500x, go figure.

I really don't need all 115 horsepower, but it would be nice and i think fun if I was safe. Additionally, if the Honda and the FJ handle the same, I could deal with the lower MPG and range. I suppose i could fit a small 1 gallon gas tank and strap it to the bike for added safety. I do love my Honda's though, and a 300+ range sounds amazing. Needed? NO idea, never toured a whole bunch, just cruised around southern California and into the hills for 10 hours at a time.

My first bike was a Honda CB500S, parallel twin restricted to 33hp. I loved it!
I think if (like me) you are inclined to chop and change bikes a little then the Honda is a great place to start, and you can pick up a 2nd hand FJ in a year or two.
On the flip side, the FJ is so easy to ride and feels so completely safe that it would make a good first big bike -even if it's a bit bigger than intended! If you are going to keep it for a while, it might be the best way to go.
As someone else mentioned, the different riding modes help tame the throttle. The bike is so well balanced that low speed handling is not an issue.
It's a nice problem to have though right, which new bike shall I buy?

I don't want something that is not as agile as the CB, and they are similar in weight so I would assume they handle equally.   

I understand you are a new rider but your assumption is as wrong as wrong can be. Weight does have an impact on how a bike handles but even bikes that have the same weight can feel substantially different.  
How a bike feels is a very personal thing. There is a reason everyone recommends that you take test rides and find out what fits you best. Your inseam is quite a bit shorter than most so your feel of a particular bike will be a lot different than the average Joe.

If at all possible try to get a test ride in each bike. I wouldn't be surprised that 15 minutes on both bikes will make the decision a very easy one. 

Welcome aboard!

I have a 29" inseam, and ordered mine with the lower seat option. With my TCX Air boots, which don't have much of a sole, I can get the balls of both feet down. Unfortunately, I have barely ridden it since I bought it, so have not had the chance to adjust the pre-load and check to see how much lower I sit with unpadded gear. I also plan to drop it a few mm in the front to liven up the front end a bit, since I am used to that from my prior bikes.

You can always get used to a taller bike. It just takes mastering the "one cheek sneak".

Thanks everyone. 
I did sit on it and it was pretty tall. I was not in my boots, but my boots are not very thick to begin with, so i think that would barely alter my height. So, I think the lowering seat would be needed. Ironically, the FJ with the lowering seat is the exact height of the cb500x, go figure.

I really don't need all 115 horsepower, but it would be nice and i think fun if I was safe. Additionally, if the Honda and the FJ handle the same, I could deal with the lower MPG and range. I suppose i could fit a small 1 gallon gas tank and strap it to the bike for added safety. I do love my Honda's though, and a 300+ range sounds amazing. Needed? NO idea, never toured a whole bunch, just cruised around southern California and into the hills for 10 hours at a time.

Because the power through the rev range is pretty linear, it doesn't feel like a 115HP sport bike. I mean, it's got lots of power and its tons of fun to ride, but even when I give it, I never feel like it's out of control. Totally manageable power. I haven't been riding that long, and moved to this bike from a Ninja 300. I almost got a Street Triple (675cc) and I'm glad I didn't. It's a great bike, but I like the power of this one better. I think the Honda will be fun, but you'll be wanting for power fairly quickly. You'll love the FJ for years.

Guest eatpasta
I would say right off the bat that the CB is a much smaller, less intimidating bike. It's not a beginner bike per se but its way more of a beginner bike than the FJ.
Without the traction control, the FJ is going to wheelie in the first three gears with relative ease and with that kind of torque, things change REAL fast when going down to the road so the FJ is going to but significantly less forgiving.

So if everyone here we're in my exact shoes, would most of you go with the FJ? I should say, I own a Rebel but have ridden more powerful bikes. Most of everyone on the CB forums is stating I should pick up a CB, but I suppose everyone will be biased. Decisions decisions...

Archived