FJ09 Tracer 900 Forum
pattonme

R1/320mm rotor conversion

Glad you got the brakes sorted betoney! Strange you had defective calipers. Props to your dealership to swapping them for ya. Glad to hear good dealerships do exist still.

Totally forgot about this mod. Guess I didn't really need it. :D
I’ve had the caliper spacers, rotor bolts, new HH pads, etc since this thread first gained some momentum. I finally got around to ordering the rotors from my favorite local shop last week, so I have all the components in hand and ready to go.

I’ll let you know how it goes, and will try and convince you that you really DO need this mod. :)
  • Like 2

@piotrek - I was going to go the OEM R1 rotor route, but finally convinced myself that the EBC XC rotors were the better choice for me. My guess is that either one will work equally well, but the added bling of the gold carriers and wave edges of the EBCs eventually swayed me in the direction.

Does that make me shallow & superficial? :)

@piotrek - I was going to go the OEM R1 rotor route, but finally convinced myself that the EBC XC rotors were the better choice for me. My guess is that either one will work equally well, but the added bling of the gold carriers and wave edges of the EBCs eventually swayed me in the direction.  
Does that make me shallow & superficial? smiley.png
Justify it by saying the gold carriers match the Ohlins shock... nah, not superficial at all...  8-)  

You know it makes sense @texscottyd , gold is definitely the way to go ??. I get a noticeable amount of hissing and then deep rumbling sounds as I brake sharply, but they are so much more responsive and confidence inspiring now.

@piotrek , the spacers were easy to clean from powder coating, with a craft knife blade.

EDIT: sorry if you knew this already, but use heat on those allen bolts when removing the old rotor. My thumbnail is only just grown back correctly from some gratuitous hammer action gone wrong.
  • Like 1

@BBB - Thanks for the tip on the rotor bolts! I have new bolts to use, so don’t need to keep the originals pristine... Still, I would rather not resort to the ‘hammer & chisel & curse words’ removal technique.

How much heat... big hair dryer? Small torch?? And while we’re on the subject, did you use any Loctite on the new rotor bolts?

-Scott
  • Like 1

I foolishly didn't use heat at all and got all bar one out simply by using a long breaker bar and constant torque until they moved. But one rounded and I then had to hammer in a bigger torx bit to get a new grip. Apparently a hot air gun is sufficient and a damn sight easier.

I also used new bolts and some thread lock as I don't want those creeping loose whilst riding.

How much heat... big hair dryer? Small torch?? And while we’re on the subject, did you use any Loctite on the new rotor bolts?

-Scott

When I replaced my rotors I used a heat gun on each fastener and then slow, even pressure to break them loose.  I also used Loctite on the threads for reassembly.

The gold should look great, post photos when you are finished.