Sometimes I have bad ideas.

nicksta43

• Premium Member
Just curious as I've not turned anything up but does anyone know if a source to buy the factory seat cover material?
Nick, I'd have to check the garage, but I believe I've got both the front and back covers. You're welcome to them.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

Just curious as I've not turned anything up but does anyone know if a source to buy the factory seat cover material?
Nick, I'd have to check the garage, but I believe I've got both the front and back covers. You're welcome to them.

If you do that would be excellent. Should be enough there to cover everything. I haven't been able to find anything close to the factory material yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I went to a lot of effort and made a rear seat cowl wrapped in CF and matching paint. Looks OK but has no storage advantage. When I saw your first pics I was skeptical of your final product but, on the final pics I gotta say, you did a great job. Highly functional and I don't think it actually looks bad. Putting a big top case on a rear rack is about the worst thing you can do for handling (JMHO) your set-up allows for easy commuting or day rides w/o putting the bags on. Good job. Your project makes me think of doing something similar, maybe integrating a 1 GAL Rotopak inside.
IMG_4626.jpg

@nsrrider your rear cowl looks awesome! Great job! However, I don't understand the point... did you get any additional storage under the seat or is it simply to look badass?

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I went to a lot of effort and made a rear seat cowl wrapped in CF and matching paint. Looks OK but has no storage advantage. When I saw your first pics I was skeptical of your final product but, on the final pics I gotta say, you did a great job. Highly functional and I don't think it actually looks bad. Putting a big top case on a rear rack is about the worst thing you can do for handling (JMHO) your set-up allows for easy commuting or day rides w/o putting the bags on. Good job. Your project makes me think of doing something similar, maybe integrating a 1 GAL Rotopak inside. IMG_4626.jpg

That looks absolutely great, nsrrider - very professional fit and finish!   Now to paint the pannier lids to match...   Very well done.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

@nsrrider your rear cowl looks awesome! Great job! However, I don't understand the point... did you get any additional storage under the seat or is it simply to look badass?
lol.....when I started out I thought I could build some storage into it.....but pretty much failed at that.....so it's pure cosmetic at this point.  

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

This thread is quite old but when I finished learning about your idea, now I understand how bad it is! However, bad or good, ideas are ideas, rooted from creativity and necessity! We can always innovate our bad ideas and turned it into more useful, satisfying and even awesome ones!

59 minutes ago, brindeld said:

This thread is quite old but when I finished learning about your idea, now I understand how bad it is! However, bad or good, ideas are ideas, rooted from creativity and necessity! We can always innovate our bad ideas and turned it into more useful, satisfying and even awesome ones!

It's still sitting in a box in my garage. I look at it everytime I walk by. I still think it's a useful idea. I don't think I can make that current box aesthetically pleasing enough. But I haven't totally given up on the idea yet. 

Maybe there will be more to come on this.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

There are pics of a FJ09 Police bike with a box instead of a passenger seat on the googles. Just mail the owner/dept and ask how they did it to use as a starting point.

• Thumbsup 1
Cheers!

Buddy of mine has been replacing rear seats with givi universal mounting plates for years. Has one on his CB1000RR now. 

Hepco & Becker makes rear set racks for many bikes, but haven't seen a Tracer application. EG

WWW.ACCESSORYINTERNATIONAL.COM

Hepco & Becker 670.4560 00 01 Rear Sportrack for Yamaha FZ-07 & MT-07 (2018-) for $197.5 from Accessories International

Edited by chitown
engrish
  • Thumbsup 1