Footpeg Feeler Removal?

leedavis

• Premium Member
Be warned, the next part that touches down is the center stand. There was a video on this forum of a rider having a moment with the centerstand touching down.
I don't think this will be a problem, at least for me, since I ride my FJ pretty tamely.  I'm not looking to take curves at super-lean-racing angle.  If I want to do that, I'll hop on my Katana.

Prop the bike against a wall. Get a piece of plywood, cram one edge under edge of the tires and gently raise plywood and you can see what parts of the bike will touch down first when it is leaned over in a turn.
The centerstand will not drag.  First thing to drag will be shifter or rear brake pedal. Engine cases will be next. By the time centerstand touches down you'll be off the edge of the tire and on your arse on the pavement. Why yamaha put such long feelers on is a mytery to me.  They must have had lots of leftovers in the parts bin from previous bikes or something. I made shorter feelers about 3/4 inch long. Have touched them down a few times, no problems.

Prop the bike against a wall. Get a piece of plywood, cram one edge under edge of the tires and gently raise plywood and you can see what parts of the bike will touch down first when it is leaned over in a turn.
The centerstand will not drag.  First thing to drag will be shifter or rear brake pedal. Engine cases will be next. By the time centerstand touches down you'll be off the edge of the tire and on your arse on the pavement. Why yamaha put such long feelers on is a mytery to me.  They must have had lots of leftovers in the parts bin from previous bikes or something. I made shorter feelers about 3/4 inch long. Have touched them down a few times, no problems.

If you want shorter feelers, just for your own personal riding style, the ones on the 2006 FZ1 are shorter.

I personally find they never touch down while I ride, but I'm not racing this bike, just enjoying it. My tires have nearly no "chicken strips" so I'm wondering why folks can scrape the stock longer feelers anyway? Must really be putting it over on the sides of the tires?

It's rare that I shift to the side while riding, but when I do really push it, and shift my butt/hips/body to the inside of the curve, the bike is more upright or not leaning over more than when I just "ride" upright and let the bike do the work to turn.

I have two FZ1 feelers left over, might just swap them out, since they catch on laces less than the longer FJ09 ones, but I tie up my laces into a row of "bows" and tuck them under the top boot lace to keep them out of the way anyway. I will say, after a day of riding, the bows can work themselves loose, and I've caught the stock feelers a few times, it's no fun, a moment of panic, since you really can't put your boot down if you needed to, or change your boot position much at all.

On my other bikes, I put motorcross style/endure foot pegs with a wider platform, or cut down the rubber tops of the stockers to make them lower, or used lowering pegs from the Buehl Ulysses that with a little file work, were a nice way to lower the FZ1 pegs cheap. They still fold up, were like 9.00.00 USD, and did I mention they were cheap? :)

Prop the bike against a wall. Get a piece of plywood, cram one edge under edge of the tires and gently raise plywood and you can see what parts of the bike will touch down first when it is leaned over in a turn. The centerstand will not drag.  First thing to drag will be shifter or rear brake pedal. Engine cases will be next. By the time centerstand touches down you'll be off the edge of the tire and on your arse on the pavement. Why yamaha put such long feelers on is a mytery to me.  They must have had lots of leftovers in the parts bin from previous bikes or something. I made shorter feelers about 3/4 inch long. Have touched them down a few times, no problems.

This test isn't very good because it doesn't take loading of the suspension into consideration. With how lightly sprung this bike is you'll be at least half stroke when leaned over in a good corner which will drastically change corner clearance.

Thanks for this thread. After getting my laces caught once and also difficulty finding the side stand a few times, I was going to angle grind the little buggers off. Even without an open-ended spanner small enough, an adjustable and three minutes work later I have a big smile. Gotta love simple jobs.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Thanks for this thread. After getting my laces caught once and also difficulty finding the side stand a few times, I was going to angle grind the little buggers off. Even without an open-ended spanner small enough, an adjustable and three minutes work later I have a big smile. Gotta love simple jobs.
Your laces should probably be tucked into your shoes/boots, or controlled in some way.  This is a serious problem looking to happen at a totally surprising time as a lace catches on something you're while moving your foot. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
+1 Loading and surface. Combine those and what touches down can vary a bit. I've touched the centerstand down.

+2. I scraped my center stand a couple of times before I increased rear preload and damping. Never touched the shifter or cases.

Archived