Shopping... Debating FZ vs FJ

Hello!

I've just started lurking, and trying to read up before I post something that has been over-discussed like a NOOB.

I actually signed on to the FZ forum with full intention of buying one. I went to the dealer this past weekend to kick some tires, and the FJ was sitting there winking at me. I have yet to ride either, but my dealer has demos for both that I can come back to ride, and I will soon.

My background is in motorcross, and I've owned 6 two-stroke 250's (KX250). I'm used to snappy throttles, and flickable weight. I transitioned into enduro, and rode for many years on and off road. I've borrowed friend's R6's, have logged a decent amount on a buddy's VStrom1K, but the bulk of my long riding days were on a K L R 650, so NEEDLESS TO SAY, ANY bike will be a VAST improvement to that, on highway.

While I fully intend to ride both FZ/FJ to make a decision, I wanted to ask about the many issues on the FZ and their differences on the FJ. The big argument in the FZ forums is that the FJ price premium over FZ is not justified, and that one can purchase aftermarket parts to basically build an FJ for half of the MSRP difference, aside from the larger fuel tank and ABS/TC. I get that. But, I don't want to buy a bike just to tear it completely apart right from the start, and I don't want a frankenstein bike either. I want something worthwhile that I only add a thing or two to make it perfect. This is why I'm leaning FJ. I also put a lot of value in the safety features and added range.

QUESTIONS:
Is the suspension confirmed to be significantly better than the FZ? My dealer has a well known suspension tuner in the shop, and they assured me he'd set the stock suspension for me (5-11, 182lbs). Is a well tuned STOCK suspension going to be sufficient? I intend to commute 10mi to work daily, twisties on the weekend, occasional 200-300mi on the weekend. I do ride very hard. I may hit the track with my R6 buddies here and there.

Are there other items that are in the 'immediate upgrade' category like on the FZ?

How are the brakes on this bike? I know this bike is built with a budget mindset, so I need to manage my expectations. And as mentioned, it will brake like an Enzo to me compared to my K L R. But are they decent?

I plan to go ride them and buy the preferred model in about 2wks. The cost difference is a non-issue, since I'm willing to spend a bit more for a bike I want, if necessary.

Any other models you considered when shopping for your FJ? Seems to be in a market of it's own, for a sport tourer at this price point.

Thanks

Guest eatpasta
pretty much all of the issues the had with the FZ were resolved with the FJ, including suspension and fueling.
The more upright riding position should should suit you better as well!

I dont have one (yet) but its in the mail.....

It wasn't winking at you, it's just that the other light doesn't turn on unless you need high beams :D (Helpful)

I think you'll get both sides depending on which forum you're on. FZ folks want you to think the extra cost isn't worth it and you can build an FJ for less. The reality isn't so simple. They share a lot sure, but the FJ is more bike than the FZ. It's meant for a different purpose. Like you, I wouldn't want a FrankenJ either.

I think @cruizin has both? Maybe he can help better than most of us. I've never ridden an FZ, but I've sat on them and read a lot about them. The FJ was the right one for me.

I intended to buy an fz09 as a replacement of my beloved KTM 950sm to sit in between my super tenere and 400exc supermoto. But at 6'1", I figured the fj would fit me better. I also plan track days and sport riding. I haven't ridden it yet, so I can't help with your question. I will modify it as needed to suit my needs.

• Premium Member
You can pick up a used FZ-09 for cheap as a lot of them are upgrading to the F-Jay. If you buy an FZ-09, you could strap an extra gallon to your back, that would make the tank as big. You could redue the suspension for $2,000, that would make it handle as good or better even. You could then get an aftermarket windscreen for the high speed runs. Maybe you could get a different computer to show avg mpg, ambient air temp, heated grips, water temp, etc. Maybe get a new seat that is better suited to the hwy? Add an electrical outlet, maybe some saddlebag mounts.
All kidding aside, the FZ is a great bike, so you need to tell us what type of riding you intend on doing, and how much you have available to spend.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

It really depends on what you want out of the bike.

I sold my FZ to buy the FJ. The FZ had upgraded suspension, seat, windscreen, ECU reflash, and a ton of other stuff. It was still worth the cost of the upgrade to the FJ.

To answer your question; yes, the suspension is sorted on the FJ and it is not on the FZ.

The biggest difference you will notice is the seat and riding position. On the FZ, I tried the stock seat, a seat by seat concepts, and a Corbin but I still prefer the seating position of the FJ.

Once you ride both, I would bet, the decision will be an easy one.

In searches and other threads, I'm not clear whether a re-flash will eliminate the speed limiter... Will it? I'm not an expert on ECU flashes,... Can I have a tuner eliminate the speed limiter and leave the rest as is?

115mph will not do, having been on bikes that are underpowered above 100mph. While most think it is unsafe to be at that speed, I think it is a safety issue when making a pass on a two lane road and not having the ability to make a burst of speed when needed. Need to be able to pull past that occasional jerk who decides to try and race or deny the pass, and many modern cars have enough power to accelerate to 120+ easily. I'd hate to hit a limiter when side by side and I'm in the lane of oncoming traffic.

In searches and other threads, I'm not clear whether a re-flash will eliminate the speed limiter... Will it? I'm not an expert on ECU flashes,... Can I have a tuner eliminate the speed limiter and leave the rest as is? 
115mph will not do, having been on bikes that are underpowered above 100mph. While most think it is unsafe to be at that speed, I think it is a safety issue when making a pass on a two lane road and not having the ability to make a burst of speed when needed. Need to be able to pull past that occasional jerk who decides to try and race or deny the pass, and many modern cars have enough power to accelerate to 120+ easily. I'd hate to hit a limiter when side by side and I'm in the lane of oncoming traffic.
Is1steve, welcome to a great site for the FJ.  You will find current owners of both the FZ and FJ here.  Mostly people that want to sell the FZ.  I met a guy the other day that was on his FZ-09 and wouldn't give my FJ much more than a once over, but clearly not interested because of the style.  There you have the reason to buy the FZ, naked sport bike w/o windscreen that will do 0-60 in 2.6 sec.  If that is the style you are interested in, then that is the bike for you, but if you are interested in the style of the FJ, don't even think of the FZ as an alternative.  Re-flashing can do a number of things, if all you want is the limits removed, it can do that.  The re-flash on my FZ took the limits out and it would easily do 140 in 5th and 6th.  I just didn't take it to the max.  Would be easy for Yamaha to put out a alternative for those that want to go faster.  Like whats the problem, they sell bikes that do 180, and they are worried about a bunch of touring folks that might load there bikes up to the hilt and tour at over 115?  Not going to  happen. 
I wouldn't worry about someone trying to race you when you are doing 50-115 in a pass.  Passing is very quick on the FJ-09 and I don't think a car can come to speed fast enough to keep you in the other lane.   Although I have never had that experience in my 350K miles, and I pass a lot. Most of the time you never reach 90 and are slowing.  The smart thing to do in that situation is slow and get in behind the jerk and let him go.  But I agree with you that Yamaha should change this 115 limit to at least the 132 limit it put on the FZ. Just remember, if you want more then the FJ has as delivered,  the potential is there to change it at a reasonable cost.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Archived