Tailbag Options? (30L or larger)

Love the tailbag on the passenger seat, but what's the trick to getting on the bike?
First - remove the tail-bag, then....

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

No trick to getting on the bike. You just lift your right foot over the seat and lean into it. If that is a problem: turn the handlebars to the right and it will lower the seat a little bit and makes it easier to put your foot over the seat. If that doesn't work for you, step on the foot peg and swing your leg over the bag, knee down toe up. I'm only 155# and have had two broken ankles, 5 bypasses and 3 strokes. Just getting on the bike is an accomplishment. Stepping on the foot peg is the best, just don't park where the asphalt is sloping down making the bike lean more. Try to park where the bike sits more upright.
  • Thumbsup 1

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Thanks redfjniner, I have been lifting my foot over the seat, but I have scuffed up the seat a bit, not getting my boot

up high enough! Sounds like I need to work on my Yoga. Never thought of turning the handlebars to the right, i'll have

to try that!

Standing on the pegs was the first thing I tried..... in my garage, but the bike seemed to want to tip over.

Trial and error...i'll find what works best for me sooner or later!

Thanks for the tips

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I just ordered the Cortech Super 2.0 24L bag. I had the older version (I have no idea where it went to oddly enough) so I know it's a great product. I got a really good deal by searching the net and then having Dennis Kirk beat the price. I ended up getting it for 108.99 based on them beating this deal - 

Cortech Bag

• Thumbsup 1

• 3 months later...

Figured I'd chip in here.  I've got a Nelson Riggs 1060S tail bag (originally purchased for my prior bike, an MT07) and use it on my Tracer 900 GT as well.  Works fantastically well, serves as a bit of a backrest when full.

@fjdog asked last year if the sides collapse when empty.  No.  The bag is surprisingly rigid, actually.  I mean, I guess if you straight up sat on it they'd collapse, but they don't under normal circumstances - the bag maintains it's shape.  Mines two years old, has seen 20,000k and much rain and snow, and it's still in great condition.  Sturdy bag.  Pretty unobtrusive when not expanded, and quite large when expanded.

The only caveat - at least in the -S model - is that it's a bit too small to hold a (full face) helmet.  

strongly recommend this, with that in mind.  In day to day riding, I keep mine inside one of my hard cases to reduce the amount of struggle to get onto the bike.  I'm old and not as bendy as I once was, and I'm stubbornly refusing to start doing the "stirrup mount" where you step onto the footpeg first.

• 1 month later...

Hey there,

I have used Kriega on the Bonneville without issue. I have also used Kriega on the FJ without issue. 

I have since switched over to Mosko Moto and haven't had the need to look anywhere else. For a tail pack, I am using a 25l top duffle. They also have bigger bags that are end folders. I did a quick write up and posted here, so you can see the 25l on the bike.

Cheers!

• 1 year later...
  • Supporting Member

I was looking for an easy way to attach/detatch my Cortech bag to the rear of the seat. Found these ball stretch bungie cords at Harbor Freight for $2.99. Not that I would trust them at 70mph but they helped proof of concept. Now looking for a source of quality ball stretch bungie cords.

Ball Stretch Cord Set

Tail Bag.jpg