Back in the Yamaha saddle again!

kwb

Well it's been a while (mid 80's), but think I'm going to get back in the game.  Rode nothing but Yamaha's back in the day (1982 Yamaha XJ650RJ Seca 650 (times 2. Yeah, sold the first one and bought another one a couple years later), 1982 Yamaha 650 Turbo Seca and a Yamaha YZ250.  Only thing for certain is that these things cost a lot more than they used to (but what doesn't these days)! 

Guest eatpasta
Well it's been a while (mid 80's), but think I'm going to get back in the game.  Rode nothing but Yamaha's back in the day (1982 Yamaha XJ650RJ Seca 650 (times 2. Yeah, sold the first one and bought another one a couple years later), 1982 Yamaha 650 Turbo Seca and a Yamaha YZ250.  Only thing for certain is that these things cost a lot more than they used to (but what doesn't these days)! 
They certainly cost more money but an FJ will almost certainly be good for 100,000+ miles, so its a bang for your buck situation! 
    My first dirtbike was YZ250 and to this day the only bike ive ever ridden that terrifies me.  That thing would wheelie going downhill with a bald tire at 50.  Ironically my first streetbike was a Yamaha Seca 650.  It was gorgeous and reminded me of the CB1000 that I so desperately wanted.  I actually quite miss that Seca!

welcome back to the game....oh and welcome to the site!!

They certainly cost more money but an FJ will almost certainly be good for 100,000+ miles, so its a bang for your buck situation! 
    My first dirtbike was YZ250 and to this day the only bike ive ever ridden that terrifies me.  That thing would wheelie going downhill with a bald tire at 50.  Ironically my first streetbike was a Yamaha Seca 650.  It was gorgeous and reminded me of the CB1000 that I so desperately wanted.  I actually quite miss that Seca!

welcome back to the game....oh and welcome to the site!!

Went to my local dealer in La Habra (new ownership - Moto Unlimited), to check them out - pretty impressive!  I won't be purchasing until later this fall, hopefully when the prices start to come down a little and/or the new model year comes out.  You are correct, the YZ250 (old yeller), was truely a seat of your pants ride.  The most terrifying moment that I had on a bike was riding home on the freeway from the GM Plant in Van Nuys at 11:30 at night (swing shift).  I was on the Seca 650 Turbo doing 65mph and there was a light rain so the freeway was wet.  150 yards ahead of me was a flashing white light (like a lighthouse beacon).  I quickly realized that it was a vehicle spinning out doing continuous 360's ahead of me.  Nothing happened as I slowed down in time, but you never know what the cause of the spin-out was (ie. debris on the freeway - ladder's and couches are the worst).  I gave up riding the freeways when I was headed to work and the traffic was stop and go.  No problem on a bike right.  I was riding between the slow moving cars between the number 1 and 2 lanes when a car about 10 cars ahead of me in the number 1 lane some joker deliberately pulled out to the far right of the lane (onto the white striped line), so I couldn't pass between the cars.  I am sure that everyone that has ridden has stories like these, and it made me a better rider as you constantly have to think 2 or 3 moves ahead for the unexpected in the event of a "what if" scenario abruptly comes upon you. 

Guest eatpasta
ohhhhh yeah.   You've gotta be more than on your toes here in LA - you have become a faking Jedi, clairvoyant to what stupid things are about to happen.  That will keep you alive.

I commute back and forth from SB so I put a lot of miles on my bike between cars....[video src=
]

Archived