Welcome to the Yamaha Niken forum!

Just read this "up close" review on TopSpeed: https://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/yamaha/2019-yamaha-niken-ar178134.html   
The reviewer did not get to ride one but states (pretty firmly) that Niken countersteers much like a two wheel motorcycle. For me, that's what it's all about and the reason I've ignored CanAm's Spyder.  

UK Yamaha's site   https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/products/motorcycles/niken/niken.aspx?view=featurestechspecs provides more specifications for Niken than other sources. Weight is listed at 264 Kg (578 pounds), which might be unavoidable, but is a little troubling.  A day riding in the mountains on my (former) FJR1300 (630 pounds) was exhausting, unlike the same ride on the FJ-09. 

I’m surprised it’s that light to be honest. 150lbs to add additional fork and wheels? The weight is added to stabilize so I don’t think it will have the same effect as a heavy 2 wheel bike. Just a guess though.
Unless I'm missing something I cannot comprehend how the reviewer who didn't ride the machine can "state pretty firmly that Niken countersteers much like a two-wheel motorcycle".   But call me fussy...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Just read this "up close" review on TopSpeed: https://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/yamaha/2019-yamaha-niken-ar178134.html   
The reviewer did not get to ride one but states (pretty firmly) that Niken countersteers much like a two wheel motorcycle. For me, that's what it's all about and the reason I've ignored CanAm's Spyder.  

UK Yamaha's site   https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/products/motorcycles/niken/niken.aspx?view=featurestechspecs provides more specifications for Niken than other sources. Weight is listed at 264 Kg (578 pounds), which might be unavoidable, but is a little troubling.  A day riding in the mountains on my (former) FJR1300 (630 pounds) was exhausting, unlike the same ride on the FJ-09. 

I’m surprised it’s that light to be honest. 150lbs to add additional fork and wheels? The weight is added to stabilize so I don’t think it will have the same effect as a heavy 2 wheel bike. Just a guess though.

The bike leans up to 45 degrees into the turn, so don’t believe anyone who says it counter steers. Look at the geometrics, it’s basically just an extra wheel sticking out slightly offset to give the rider more traction/stability while leaned over.

If you don't comprehend how someone who doesn't know anything can state things pretty firmly, you are obviously not a consumer of [span] American (fake) news reports.  grin.png    
[/span]The article is pretty much a re-write of a Yamaha press release with manufacturer claims stated as personal (to the writer) opinions. Nothing new there - read any motorcycle magazine...or forum.  

I don't think a 45* lean angle for the Niken means there's no counter steering Cruzin. Race bikes can lean to 60* and they clearly counter steer.   
If, at the rider level, by "counter-steering" we mean that once moving above 5-10 mph, you push the left handlebar to steer the bike to the right, and the right handlebar to steer left, there's no reason for the Niken not to steer using that method.  Because it does lean, it can (in effect) "fall" into the turn and let centrifugal force keep it from grounding (until it does either for loss of traction or overcoming centrifugal force or both).  Trikes that don't lean must be conventionally steered (try counter steering a Spyder). 

If, at the rider level, by "counter-steering" we mean that once moving above 5-10 mph, you push the left handlebar to steer the bike to the right, and the right handlebar to steer left, there's no reason for the Niken not to steer using that method.  Because it does lean, it can (in effect) "fall" into the turn and let centrifugal force keep it from grounding (until it does either for loss of traction or overcoming centrifugal force or both).  Trikes that don't lean must be conventionally steered (try counter steering a Spyder). 
I believe you meant to say PULL left to go right   OR   Push left to go LEFT (i.e. turning the wheel "counter" to the direction you want the bike to go) 
The MSF basic course teaches "Push Left, Go Left.  Push Right, Go Right"

I believe you meant to say PULL left to go right   OR   Push left to go LEFT (i.e. turning the wheel "counter" to the direction you want the bike to go) 
The MSF basic course teaches "Push Left, Go Left.  Push Right, Go Right"

Correctomundo- fzkenm, I screwed that up.  It's been a while since I took the MSF course. 

• 1 year later...

Archived