Best Mod

rockafella50

Ride the bike for a bit and do whatever is possible to the stock bike to improve the experience. In due time you will find things that just can't get dialed in enough to enjoy the bike for what you need it (sport, touring, commuting... whatever). That's your first mod. 
Throttle jerkiness on my 2015 was the first pain-point for me. It didn't help that OE rebound damping was brutally harsh. I fixed both at the same time... ECU flash and "modified" forks (new springs and much lighter oil). There are plenty other things to upgrade of course, but if you're on a budget... you're best to prioritize. Give it some riding time to discover what really needs fixing.

Sound advice mate. Trying to get out on the bike and getting some riding hours is an issue at the moment with winter and work. Must admit from what I've experienced so far the throttle response seems fine to me. Perhaps a little eager in A mode but I've certainly ridden worse *cough cough* GSXS1000F *cough*

There is nothing 'magic' about Ohlins + Yamaha vis a vis warranty or whatnot. Since you're in the UK (guessing from pound ref) look at Nitron and K-Tech; better product than the Ohlins YA335 at same or less money.

Yeah Nitron have a decent rep. Nice quality kit. A journo for Fast Bikes magazine recently upgraded his long term R6 with Nitron shock and forks - quite impressive I thought. Is there no warranty implications of fitting a non manufacturer approved kit?

• Supporting Member
There is nothing 'magic' about Ohlins + Yamaha vis a vis warranty or whatnot. Since you're in the UK (guessing from pound ref) look at Nitron and K-Tech; better product than the Ohlins YA335 at same or less money.
I asked a local suspension tuner the same thing several years ago “what’s so special about Ohlins?” his reply was “absolutely nothing, the magic is how you setup the inside, the outside is just shiny bits”.   

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Is there no warranty implications of fitting a non manufacturer approved kit?

zip, nada, zilch. "Manufacturer Approved"? You mean like TUV certified?

The only reason Ohlins gets paired with bikes as OEM options is because they have the manufacturing capacity. I very much doubt K-Tech, Nitron etc have the thru-put, assuming they have the interest which they probably don't because the OEM wants a cut-rate solution and the smaller guys are more interested in preserving their brand integrity than just shipping least-effort units.

Penske is plenty big enough to go toe to toe with Ohlins but in the bike space people think "Penske who? Don't they do NASCAR or something?"

• Supporting Member
Which is sad. I've always run Penske on my racebikes. Love 'em!
I also have used Penske on my last 2 bikes, VERY capable and high quality product but like Matt said, in the motorcycle world the first name on everyones mind is Ohlins. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I had intended going for a Nitron shock, set up for your weight etc before being sent from the factory. However late-ish one evening I saw someone was selling a 3 month old Ohlins, bit of haggling and got it for a steal. Then the wake-up call, I wanted an up-rated spring but that required a re-valve which ended up as a rebuild. In the end all of that, the fitting and the front forks adjusted to suit still came in less than an Ohlins in a box (think I had change from ~£500).
For me that was the single biggest improvement to the bike.

I'm a suspension set and forget sort of guy so having a twidly knob, for me, would have been a waste and if I was tempted to turn it, no doubt I'd manage to twist it the wrong way ;)

• 1 year later...

Might be an old post now, but...Maybe give Nitron a call. They are in UK which might help. I found their service was fantastic, they really actually care, this is before and after sale. They also said R1 is all you need for the road. They were right, and saved me a few quid over getting the R2. Be a little cautious if buying secondhand, the spring might not be rated for your weight, which means paying extra for another spring. 

Archived