Anyone try the Magura Hydraulic clutch

Anyone try the Magura Hydraulic clutch conversion? Thoughts. Kimofj burnt Ojai ca

I bought a Magura hydraulic clutch a couple months ago. I will be putting it on today or within the next day or two. I will take photos and post what I find out about the install. The pull on my cable clutch way way to hard I can't take it any longer. Magura clutches are supposed to be the best and they are on KTM's bikes.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
‘Had the Magura clutch installed last week @91000 miles (first cable snapped @27k miles, the second replaced with new revised design @52k miles).
After 600 miles, including some city commuting, I must say that the magura clutch is a great improvement - lighter pull and much better modulation.

It's tempting to get a full set from Ebay. Comes with both sets of levers, the slave for the clutch, and some designs appear to be copies of radial brake/clutches, so they should provide as good, or even better feel/control than the stock Brake setup, along with the ease of a hydraulic clutch.

40.00 shipped or less.

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, dbezerkeley said:

I have a hairy commute in heavy traffic and my main concern is reliability.  Would a hydraulic clutch be less likely to fail during a commute?  If so I might upgrade for that reason alone.

100% if you combine it with the slipper clutch it becomes silly light and a blessing in traffic.

• 11 months later...
On 11/5/2018 at 7:37 PM, jojosz said:

‘Had the Magura clutch installed last week @91000 miles (first cable snapped @27k miles, the second replaced with new revised design @52k miles).
After 600 miles, including some city commuting, I must say that the magura clutch is a great improvement - lighter pull and much better modulation.

Hi JoJoSz...Sorry to bother you after all this time..I have a 2015 FJ 09 and am interested

in the Magura clutch for my bike...the problem I'm trying to solve is that my clutch is way

out at the end of the throw/travel...

hard for me to launch properly...would the Magura clutch help with this?...and do you have

to remove the fuel tank to install?...

Thanks for any help...

John Helms, Houston, TX

Hi John,

I had it installed at my shop. It’s a while ago, but I think they said they had too loosen the radiator. To me it looked like you’d could pull the magura line with the old cable, but not sure. In any case, it’s been a great improvement. 

good luck. Joachim

14 hours ago, jojosz said:

Hi John,

I had it installed at my shop. It’s a while ago, but I think they said they had too loosen the radiator. To me it looked like you’d could pull the magura line with the old cable, but not sure. In any case, it’s been a great improvement. 

good luck. Joachim

You do, but it’s not a huge deal - there’s a bracket on the LH upper radiator mount which secured the cable more tightly toward the frame.

-Skip

Hi Skip..thanks for your reply...

Do you recommend the Magura clutch?...

Do you think it will help my issue which is, 

the friction zone on my wired clutch is all

the way out at the end of the throw and makes 

it hard (for me) to consistently and  smoothly launch

the bike...

Do the Magura cables have much slack in them...I have

a riser on my handlebars which uses the stock lines...

Anything you'd like to mention from your experience with 

the clutch would be helpful...

Thanks for you help...John H.

Hey John- zero experience with a Magura conversion.  just so you’re aware, I believe it changes the stock set up to a Hydraulic slave and master cylinder setup(?)

You have a 15? Upgrade the cable first if you haven’t replaced that already. Secondly, I’m fairly certain that the stock clutch pack can be adjusted with a thicker or thinner clutch plate (1.4-2.1mm or so) to change the stack height. This will move the release point slightly, but may allow you to get it a tiny bit further from the end 

if you’ve got lots of miles/kms on your bike, you could also upgrade to the slipper clutch that the 17 and later models have - it has a lighter feel that’s easier on the hand.

-Skip