Just another introduction. Nothing to see here.

root

Hello.  I've been lurking here for a while now and just got tired of the message that said I've looked at 'x' number of unique threads, please join.  (that's a creepy message BTW.  I don't like it.)  I'm in the market for a new bike.  I've been learning on a 1970 Honda CB450 for the last 2 years.  It is in very good shape and I don't want to put many more miles on it to keep the value up.  It has about 10k miles on it now.  At the end of the last riding season, I had pretty much made up my mind I was going to get a 2012+ V Strom 650 this spring.  Then Yamaha had to release this bike and throw a monkey wrench in my plan.  No question the FJ is a better bike for me.  From the OTD prices I've had quoted for each, there's about a $3k difference.  Granted that's a leftover V Strom compared to a fresh out of the box FJ, but it's still $3k out of my pocket.  Ergonomics are very similar for me between the bikes.  I've test driven the V Strom and I feel it has adequate power.  Much more than the CB450 for sure, I just worry I'll crave more if I take a 2-up trip, which will be rare.  The power of the FJ on the other hand is almost intimidating with power to weight ratios better than some super-cars.  It's sad that the FJ has about the same horsepower as my car, a Mini Cooper.  Needless to say, I am used to under powered vehicles.  It's still bitter cold where I live and the forecast looks like that's not changing in the near term so I still have some time to sort out what I want to do.  I am leaning heavily towards the FJ, just because I like it better and I feel like I'd be settling if I got a V Strom.  I just hope my wife doesn't kill me for it.

Welcome and thanks for joining us. The FJ and FZ both have incredible power to weight ratios, indeed. Plenty of power but you can simply choose not to twist the wrist until you are ready. the great thing is that alot of that power is down low, so you can lug this bike around.

sorry about the pop up bugging you, but alas, you joined. We have a wealth of info for the FJ-09 in here, and the mods put alot of time and effort into this place for free. All we ask in return is for people to join, and share their experiences, pics and tech info as they learn more about their bikes. Sometimes I log in and see 5 or 6 members logged in and 50 people not logged in and spending alot of time reading. that's great for them, but this forum is still in it's infancy so hence, the annoying popup message.

I'll turn the popup off when we hit 1000 members.

I understand where you are coming from Cruizin. I would have joined regardless. I just don't think the popup is needed. It's your site and you can do what you want with it. The popup is just an annoyance, even for those that have joined. I would venture to guess that a large percentage of those 50 people are people that have joined but are just not logged in. That means, those members are putting up with the popup because clicking on an x is quicker than logging in. I have 5 devices I look at the site on depending on what's most convenient at the time. I'm only logged in on one and it will probably stay that way for a while. Another large percentage would be people that are thinking about buying an FJ, researching it here but will never pull the trigger. Therefore they have nothing to share on this site (admittedly people like me O_o). Do you really want a bunch of users on an FJ-09 forum that will never even ride an FJ-09? People are going to join because it's a good site, and a good community, pertaining to a bike they want or own, not because of a popup.  The fact you have so many people spending so much time already points to the site being a success.  Sorry if I'm ranting.  I don't mean to. I work as an application developer so I pay attention to usability a bit more than most.

Anyway, not a big deal. Just one of my pet peeves. I'll get over it. I only mention it because I like the site otherwise. Enough about popups, thanks for the welcome and for the site. Looking forward to the riding season.  Keep the shiny side up... unless you're riding the matte grey, in which case keep the rubber side down.

I didn't take it as a rant at all and thanks for sharing your opinion. I have ideas of how people will respond to things but man, I'm kinda weird and certainly need the feedback that you just gave.

You have me rethinking my policy on "Guests" and member count. Thanks again for the feedback.

In fact, I just disabled the Popup. It probably is really annoying on phones.

Welcome root!
I don't mind the pop up that much. It kind reminds me to log in when I really want to look at the other message boards, namely the region boards, fireside chat, technical issues boards...
Cruzin has done a ripper job! I know it's a thankless task, but you thanked him anyways.
Mate, even if you never get an FJ/MT-09, test ride one when you can!
Cheers,
Steve

Guest eatpasta
Hello.  I've been lurking here for a while now and just got tired of the message that said I've looked at 'x' number of unique threads, please join.  (that's a creepy message BTW.  I don't like it.)  I'm in the market for a new bike.  I've been learning on a 1970 Honda CB450 for the last 2 years.  It is in very good shape and I don't want to put many more miles on it to keep the value up.  It has about 10k miles on it now.  At the end of the last riding season, I had pretty much made up my mind I was going to get a 2012+ V Strom 650 this spring.  Then Yamaha had to release this bike and throw a monkey wrench in my plan.  No question the FJ is a better bike for me.  From the OTD prices I've had quoted for each, there's about a $3k difference.  Granted that's a leftover V Strom compared to a fresh out of the box FJ, but it's still $3k out of my pocket.  Ergonomics are very similar for me between the bikes.  I've test driven the V Strom and I feel it has adequate power.  Much more than the CB450 for sure, I just worry I'll crave more if I take a 2-up trip, which will be rare.  The power of the FJ on the other hand is almost intimidating with power to weight ratios better than some super-cars.  It's sad that the FJ has about the same horsepower as my car, a Mini Cooper.  Needless to say, I am used to under powered vehicles.  It's still bitter cold where I live and the forecast looks like that's not changing in the near term so I still have some time to sort out what I want to do.  I am leaning heavily towards the FJ, just because I like it better and I feel like I'd be settling if I got a V Strom.  I just hope my wife doesn't kill me for it.

love those old Honda's!  I have a CB400F I cant seem to get rid of either.  They are just incredible bikes that do nothing wrong and put a huge smile on your face whenever you twist that grip..... hold onto it for sure!
    Im sure an FJ would fit the bill nicely but the torque is going to take quite a lot of getting used to I would imagine.

oh and welcome to the site!!

Archived