Sign in to follow this  
stoltecmoto

Stoltec Moto's Yamaha FJ-09 Rear Suspension Options

FZ-09-shock.jpg

Hello members!

I wanted to take some time to make a more formal public post on the topic of our rear suspension offerings.  We've recently had handful of customers contact us with questions about what we offer, what it looks like, what (if anything) needs to be trimmed, if the hose length is accurate, and if reservoir brackets are required.  I'm hoping to clarify some points here.

First, we offer three different shocks.  While we carry many other brands of shocks, we focus on Penske Racing Shock's products.  Why?  For starters, we've been working very closely with these guys for the past 6 years.  Unlike some of more well-known outfits, they are eager to custom-develop products for each application.  Each and every shock they produce is custom built to order.  While we have a baseline specification to build from (on the models we service), there are no off-the-shelf shocks waiting for customers to order.  Each application is tailored to the specific needs of the customer (weight in gear, passengers, riding style, and intended usage).  Furthermore, they are 100% owned, operated, and manufactured in the United States - about 2 hours away from Stoltec Moto in Reading, PA!  Not only does this mean that we're supporting the American economy, but we also have quick turn-around and access to their R&D and production facilities.  They support all forms of racing, from NASCAR to F1 to Indy and NHRA.  But importantly to us, they also work with motorcycle race teams at nearly all levels of competition (foreign and domestic).  These guys are riders of all types who understand what is needed to make a suspension work.

Bottom line:  we ONLY sell what we believe in.  In fact, believe isn't even the right word - beliefs don't need any factual basis to stand on.  Rather, we only sell what we KNOW and TRUST.  We can sell motorcycle parts for any make and model, but we only service models that we have either owned or spent time developing. That's not going to change.

But onto the offerings for the FJ-09:

[ol type=decimal][*]Penske 8900E[*]Penske 8983[*]Penske 8987[/ol]
 Please see each of those links for more product specifics...

The 8983 and 8987 have an external reservoir to increase oil capacity and nitrogen volume.  They also contain a propriety floating piston design to separate the nitrogen and oil to maintain consistency across a wide range of environmental and usage conditions.  You may have seen some Penske shocks where the reservoir was mounted rear of the footpegs.  THAT IS NOT A STOLTEC MOTO SPEC SHOCK!  Other Penske dealers have 'gone their own way' and created their own products.  Our shock requires some minimal trimming of the tail plastics in order to tuck the reservoir close to the frame, very similar to what we developed for the FZ-09 back in 2013.  This keeps the reservoir close to the bike, protects it in the event of a tip-over or crash, and doesn't interfere with any of the luggage systems on the market (OEM and aftermarket).  Lastly, it also places the compression damping adjuster(s) within reach of the rider while seated!

Here's a shot of what the reservoir location looks like:

DSC03655-0010001.jpg

We are now including the Remote Reservoir Bracket for free with each order!

Installed-Reservoir-Mount.jpg

There is no need to worry about mounting our reservoir - either making a bracket or figuring out what hose length works.  We have had that sorted out for years at this point!

If there are any other general questions, please post here and fire away.  If you're looking for specific recommendations, contact us directly so we can keep this thread clean.  Feel free to call, email, or PM. Email is definitely preferred over PMs...

We also have a full complement of front suspension options, as well.  Again, feel free to peruse our site and/or contact us!

@stoltecmoto - Very nice, and a great service you’re offering to the FJ community. Although I went the Ohlins route on my FJ09, I have a Penske triple on my 636 racebike, and it’s an amazing piece of hardware.

I’m still firmly in the camp that quality suspension components are the best investment you can make on the FJ/Tracer. Best wishes... I hope you sell a ton of them!

@stoltecmoto - Very nice, and a great service you’re offering to the FJ community. Although I went the Ohlins route on my FJ09, I have a Penske triple on my 636 racebike, and it’s an amazing piece of hardware.  
I’m still firmly in the camp that quality suspension components are the best investment you can make on the FJ/Tracer. Best wishes... I hope you sell a ton of them!
I'd go so far as to replace 'FJ/Tracer' with most bikes.  But I absolutely agree.  Yamaha cheaped out on the FZ line-up's suspension.  The -10 is arguably the best, but it still suffers from cost-cutting and odd tuning.

Just a note on the reservoir mounting location. I have the 8983 with the standard length hose and if it is mounted slightly lower on the passenger footpeg mount then you do not need to cut the body panel.

Shock_1.jpg

Shock_2.jpg

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Good timing on post as iam looking at getting this shock in a couple of weeks . I was hoping to get the stoltec version but it’s a bit more $ than stock 8983 here in canada. I didn’t know you could get different length hoses.i like how you mounted it betoney. For the cost they sure need to give better clamp.

Stoltec should sell There clamps 

E9584_AFE-3_DBA-40_A8-8_F23-23_DAFC8_DFDFB.jpg

Good timing on post as iam looking at getting this shock in a couple of weeks . I was hoping to get the stoltec version but it’s a bit more $ than stock 8983 here in canada. I didn’t know you could get different length hoses.i like how you mounted it betoney. For the cost they sure need to give better clamp. 

I really like that bracket.  Where can those be purchased?

I'd go so far as to replace 'FJ/Tracer' with most bikes.  But I absolutely agree. 
Not to sidetrack your thread, but I think it’s sometime overlooked that even high-quality components still need to be tailored to the specific rider and intent.

My Mille R came with Ohlins forks & shock straight from the factory, but it wasn’t right for me as a 220 pound trackday instructor. A spring rate change (and the much more convenient Penske-style preload collar) got it working better for me.

c621aecc7be6fd12cde5a8ded25a71fa.jpg

Just a note on the reservoir mounting location. I have the 8983 with the standard length hose and if it is mounted slightly lower on the passenger footpeg mount then you do not need to cut the body panel.  

Shock_1.jpg

Shock_2.jpg

Case in point:  This is not a Stoltec Moto Penske.

I saw it on this video install, i believe it’s made by some one on the fz09 forum. 

Yes.  That was a customer of ours with a 2017 FZ-09.

I'd go so far as to replace 'FJ/Tracer' with most bikes.  But I absolutely agree. 
Not to sidetrack your thread, but I think it’s sometime overlooked that even high-quality components still need to be tailored to the specific rider and intent.  
My Mille R came with Ohlins forks & shock straight from the factory, but it wasn’t right for me as a 220 pound trackday instructor. A spring rate change (and the much more convenient Penske-style preload collar) got it working better for me.

c621aecc7be6fd12cde5a8ded25a71fa.jpg

Not a side track, at all.  The 'fancy' OEM stuff typically isn't spec'd as highly as the aftermarket stuff to begin with (there is always a cost target).  But your point is perfectly valid.  There is no one size fits all...and that goes for the electronic suspensions that are coming from the factory today!

Case in point:  This is not a Stoltec Moto Penske.
Do yours come with a shorter hose?  When I ordered mine, there was never a discussion of different length hoses, mine is how it came shipped from Penske. 

Yes, ours has a completely different hose. It's shorter with 'banjo' fittings on each end. The banjo fittings allow full adjustment through 360 degrees of rotation. No tapered 'pipe' threads on our shocks.  These fittings eliminate any chance of loosening up or leaking and generally make routing the hose much easier.  See here (don't mind the 5" spring, all of our shocks use a 6" spring now):

025_131220.jpg

Good call on using the Banjo's. I applaud this decision.

'15 FJ09

I really like that bracket.  Where can those be purchased?
I just saw someone on the Tormach Operators facebook page with a freshly machined one of these. If you can't findout where to buy them, I can contact him for you.

'15 FJ09