Chain Recommendation?

betoney

• Premium Member
My recent chain and front sprocket combination is much noisier than the original chain and sprocket. The chain is a DID 525 VX Pro-street X'ring. The sprocket is a JTF#1591, 16 tooth. I purchased both from sprocket center. The sprocket does not have the OEM rubber damping. Next time I'll get the OEM-style damped sprocket.

Has anyone else had a noisy replacement for the chain and sprocket?

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

• Supporting Member
My recent chain and front sprocket combination is much noisier than the original chain and sprocket. The chain is a DID 525 VX Pro-street X'ring. The sprocket is a JTF#1591, 16 tooth. I purchased both from sprocket center. The sprocket does not have the OEM rubber damping. Next time I'll get the OEM-style damped sprocket.  
Has anyone else had a noisy replacement for the chain and sprocket?

No, no noise at all.  I bought the Superlite RS7 Kit with DID VX chain.  I have used the Superlite 15T and 16T sprockets, both undampened and have not had any noise.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

The dampened counter sprocket seems to make huge difference.  I went with it on my new chain set from sprocket center and the extra 5.00(?) if memory serves me correctly was worth every cent. 

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry @betoney for dumping onto the thread... but my chain link saga continues so I will just try and eventually bring that to a close. The Motion Pro 08-0470 chain tool broke today while riveting my new link. The pins are still under the min 5.7mm spec and I now need to source another tool to finish this. 

While the form factor design of the MP tool is pretty nice, the riveting attachments are made of brittle alloy, so the thing just gave way and the steel ball collapsed into the attachment (the little puck in the photo is a magnet that it displaced). I am reluctant to go the MP way again and might just buy a DID KM500R tool. To think that I was happy with the clip link... 900km and looked pretty solid on there. Should have left it alone. undecided.png

link.jpghollow-pin_tool.jpghollow-pin_tool2.jpg

I used the Regina riveting tool shown here: 
https://fortnine.ca/en/regina-chain-assembly-and-rivet-tool-805199

You use the bar above the tool (it fits into the threaded hole of the U-shaped top piece) with a hammer to stake the rivets.  I used it with solid pin rivets (which are much harder to stake than the hollow tip one that you used) and the tool worked fine.  Very solid tool.  Here is a picture of my finished chain (the link with the black mark is the master link):

SDC10362.jpg

I used the Regina riveting tool shown here:  
https://fortnine.ca/en/regina-chain-assembly-and-rivet-tool-805199

Thanks @trokarr , I will have a look at Regina. I've read reviews of the MP tool and it was a mixed bag of success and failure. MP cut a corner to many on this one.
I looked at the MP tool when I was going to install my new chain but went with the Regina at the last minute because it looked more solid; so glad I did now.  If you do decide on the Regina tool, the instructions supplied with the tool suck.  I used these instead as the staking procedure for solid rivets was much clearer:  
 https://www.getgeared.co.uk/core/media/media.nl?id=5219&c=731612&h=5aa87151f151425438d5

• Premium Member
Sorry @betoney for dumping onto the thread... but my chain link saga continues so I will just try and eventually bring that to a close. The Motion Pro 08-0470 chain tool broke today while riveting my new link. The pins are still under the min 5.7mm spec and I now need to source another tool to finish this. 

While the form factor design of the MP tool is pretty nice, the riveting attachments are made of brittle alloy, so the thing just gave way and the steel ball collapsed into the attachment (the little puck in the photo is a magnet that it displaced). I am reluctant to go the MP way again and might just buy a DID KM500R tool. To think that I was happy with the clip link... 900km and looked pretty solid on there. Should have left it alone. :-/

link.jpghollow-pin_tool.jpghollow-pin_tool2.jpg

Strange, I’ve used the motion pro tool to install several chains. 10+. Never had a problem.
Edit: what it the gray thing in your picture? It doesn’t look like any part in my motion pro kit.

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member
My kit looks similar to the one pictured. I’ve had it for years. They must have changed something because it’s worked perfectly for me.

Let’s go Brandon

• Supporting Member
Chain finally riveted (5.85mm). I used a tool from DID (KM500R)... cost a small fortune, but it's a solid tool. Ram screw threads are clean and cut accurate (no binding when worked by hand), riveting pin has depth limiter... and it's all steel. I am sure I could have bought and experimented with cheaper tools... but my experience with Motion Pro PBR was enough. Their Jumbo tool looked like a solid kit, but about the same price as the DID tool. Back on the road... all that matters.

link.jpgtool.jpg

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm a noob when it comes to this chain stuff. For the DID 525VX with rubber dampening, is this the one you guys are talking about? I'm asking because I adjusted my chain the other day, had it in spec, but I then checked the slack on the centerstand as I turned the wheel and it goes from slack to full tight, back to slack then full tight. So it seems like as the wheel rotates there is a tight spot. Any idea what that means? thanks in advance.

SPROCKETCENTER.COM

<h4>YAMAHA FJ-09 Chain Kit with OGNIBENE "Silent Drive" Sprocket Set and Choice of Chain</h4>Made in Italy! The rubber profile applied on both sides guarantees noise reduction, which is...

1 hour ago, brewhaha said:

I turned the wheel and it goes from slack to full tight, back to slack then full tight. So it seems like as the wheel rotates there is a tight spot. Any idea what that means? thanks in advance.

Means its time to replace the chain, which I think you're already intending to do.

What you replace the chain with is as controversial as oil. Personally I prefer eBay cheapo's because I'm terrible about chain maintenance. I end up replacing the chain about twice as often compared to name brands. 

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ09

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, brewhaha said:

I'm a noob when it comes to this chain stuff. For the DID 525VX with rubber dampening, is this the one you guys are talking about? I'm asking because I adjusted my chain the other day, had it in spec, but I then checked the slack on the centerstand as I turned the wheel and it goes from slack to full tight, back to slack then full tight. So it seems like as the wheel rotates there is a tight spot. Any idea what that means? thanks in advance.

SPROCKETCENTER.COM

<h4>YAMAHA FJ-09 Chain Kit with OGNIBENE "Silent Drive" Sprocket Set and Choice of Chain</h4>Made in Italy! The rubber profile applied on both sides guarantees noise reduction, which is...

I always buy my sprockets and chains from Sprocket Center as well, I use the RS7 Superlite with a DID VX chain.  The "Silent Drive" is interesting, I have never seen that before.  Their marketing statement is interesting as well, " The rubber profile applied on both sides guarantees noise reduction, which is at least 2 db more than conventional kits, thereby extending transmission and chain life."

A 2db noise reduction that extends the life of your transmission... maybe I interpreted their statement wrong or maybe they have some new advanced alien technology?  😎  Either way, their sprockets are bulletproof- when the chain is getting loose and sloppy the sprockets still look new with little perceptible wear.

• Thumbsup 1

2 hours ago, betoney said:

A 2db noise reduction that extends the life of your transmission... maybe I interpreted their statement wrong or maybe they have some new advanced alien technology?  😎  Either way, their sprockets are bulletproof- when the chain is getting loose and sloppy the sprockets still look new with little perceptible wear.

Noise is vibration. Vibration accelerates fatigue. Fatigue leads to failure. So they're claiming less noise = longer fatigue life. Technically not inaccurate, and extending chain life sounds reasonable. But transmission life should be infinite fatigue life (key words here are fatigue life, the transmission can still fail from other means) and therefore unextendable. 

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ09

• Supporting Member
57 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Am I the only one who went with a 520 DID ZVMX with Superlite F&R sprockets?!

Tried a 15T front but went back to OEM F&R...

Is there any appreciable difference from going 525 to 520 pitch chain and sprockets? 

I switched to a 15T sprocket soon after buying the bike and liked it a lot, a whole lot.  When it came time for new chain and sprockets I instead went with a 47T rear sprocket and +2 link chain. - almost the same final drive ratio.  The quicker acceleration is worth the slightly higher cruising rpm.  In the tighter twisties it feels like the gearing is more properly spaced and can still pull long enough in each gear without constant shifting to keep the motor in the sweet-spot.