Chain Recommendation?

betoney

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, betoney said:

Is there any appreciable difference from going 525 to 520 pitch chain and sprockets? 

I switched to a 15T sprocket soon after buying the bike and liked it a lot, a whole lot.  When it came time for new chain and sprockets I instead went with a 47T rear sprocket and +2 link chain. - almost the same final drive ratio.  The quicker acceleration is worth the slightly higher cruising rpm.  In the tighter twisties it feels like the gearing is more properly spaced and can still pull long enough in each gear without constant shifting to keep the motor in the sweet-spot.

20% weight reduction with slightly faster spin up.

With the relatively high redline, rev happy  and grunty CP3 engine, I felt a 15T front was over-kill, increased vibes and reduced already disappointing gas mileage.

I also cruise at higher speeds to get to the abysmal country roads we call twisties, so lower revs reduce rpm = less buzz and more mpg.

Even though I installed a 2016 XSR900 slip-assist clutch, dropping down 2 gears and dumping the clutch if needed is less stressful on the drivetrain with a 16T  

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
  • Premium Member
On 7/3/2018 at 2:36 PM, micah2074 said:

Riveting the chain isn’t difficult. You could also just use one of these....
http://www.moto-chains.com/site/898528/product/mstr%20-%20screw

Little late to the party, but has anyone used one of these?  The only thing I can find online is a 1 guy that is happy with it for 5000 miles.  Since I only need to change a chain about every other year, a screw-on link would be much easier than a rivet tool.

• Premium Member
20 hours ago, 1moreroad said:

Little late to the party, but has anyone used one of these?  The only thing I can find online is a 1 guy that is happy with it for 5000 miles.  Since I only need to change a chain about every other year, a screw-on link would be much easier than a rivet tool.

EK is a reputable company. Their chains are high quality and I’ve used them many times.  I haven’t used their screw link because I have the tools, the ability and I’m cheap. I always use the rivet link that comes with a new chain. I wouldn’t hesitate to use their screw link if the need arose. 

• Thumbsup 2

Let’s go Brandon

3 hours ago, micah2074 said:

EK is a reputable company. Their chains are high quality and I’ve used them many times.  I haven’t used their screw link because I have the tools, the ability and I’m cheap. I always use the rivet link that comes with a new chain. I wouldn’t hesitate to use their screw link if the need arose. 

Didn't they get bought by Vortex?

'15 FJ09

• 4 months later...

Resurrecting this topic....because I use the search function 😉

So I’m asking my fellow canadian riders where they buy their chain and sprockets from...not to fussy on which brand because they all make quality chains IMO.

14,000kms and I have a few kinked links even though I lube it a fair amount with Maxima chain wax, maybe that’s my problem...not sure though.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member

I'm not Canadian but i usually order from  

Shop the best selection of Motorcycle Chain & Sprocket kits at...

maybe they ship to the great white north.

As far as chain lube goes...80W90 gear oil. I've been using it on my latest chain and it seems to be wearing better. 10k miles and it shown no obvious wear. Heck, I've only had to adjust it once and that was after 1k miles.

Let’s go Brandon

• 1 month later...

Another Canadian looking to get going with some needed upgrades, and since I have the time....

23,000kms on OEM parts, I would say it's time to dress the bike up a bit.

But $45 usd shipping to Canada plus the exchange rate right now. I better start shopping around.

Cheers!

I bought the OEM chain and sprocket kit, then found out it was too short for my GT. Fits all 09 bikes with short swing arm, I can’t return it because I got the box greasy. 🤬 For sale $250 Canadian.

28097776-C413-4A20-A84F-EF3B1B0983C5.jpeg

490734A4-55B6-45E7-AFD7-086667A57305.jpeg

2019 Tracer GT,  Ontario, Canada

28 minutes ago, piotrek said:

@hammer... FortNine is a good source. I bought DID 525VX and sprockets from them.

I have looked there, the "problem" is that you have the find the gear yourself. Chain and sprockets aren't coming up in my "garage" (unless I'm doing it wrong?)

But they are my go to for tires, so it would be nice to get it all at once.

• Thumbsup 1
Cheers!

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, hammer said:

Chain and sprockets aren't coming up in my "garage" (unless I'm doing it wrong?)

You're right... DID not coming up, but they're there. Chain is 525 VX 110 links and sprockets are 16T front and 45T rear. I bought the front sprocket without the dampener.

• Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

Yeah, for Canadians you've basically got Fortnine, and sometimes a good deal on TwistedThrottle.  

Shipping from the US is prohibitively expensive for most things - it's usually cheaper to order from the UK but they're fully locked down right now and most even online stores are closed.

• Supporting Member
13 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Yeah, for Canadians you've basically got Fortnine, and sometimes a good deal on TwistedThrottle.

We have options... but we naturally end up gravitating to places with best prices and service, and so FortNine wins almost every time... for me anyway. We also have (some local to GTA for walk-in) Royal Distributing, GP Bikes, Parts Canada, Kimpex etc. Twisted Throttle gouges and no longer offers free local pickup... but sometimes there may be no better choice.

Out your way, you have Motostarz and Bayside Performance just to the west. I've ordered from both, but shipping is usually pretty expensive. There are probably other options.

Edited by piotrek

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

1 hour ago, piotrek said:

We have options... but we naturally end up gravitating to places with best prices and service, and so FortNine wins almost every time... for me anyway. We also have (some local to GTA for walk-in) Royal Distributing, GP Bikes, Parts Canada, Kimpex etc. Twisted Throttle gouges and no longer offers free local pickup... but sometimes there may be no better choice.

Out your way, you have Motostarz and Bayside Performance just to the west. I've ordered from both, but shipping is usually pretty expensive. There are probably other options.

Kind of hijacking here but: I was in talks with Bayside re: suspension upgrades, but he would never give me a straight answer. He lost my business because of that. 

Cheers!