UK Insurance - Tracer not listed

grogsym

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On the subject of call centres, I called MCE two times specifically stating that my bike is the MT-09 Tracer, not the Tracker. Both times they sent a policy with the MT-09 Tracker on it. 

Don't start me on MCE >:D ***"£$£$%$£%%"£%£^^$^^£$^^@@~@¬ >:D      and calm........ 

Carole Nash are the only broker I have found that can search more than one company. MCE, Aviva and Ageis all have the bike listed, CN can search Aviva and Ageis. You would have to phone MCE for a quote.
At least that was as of Monday, maybe it is creeping in to comparison websites now?
I best double check my policy regarding the whole 10pm - 6 am thing.

On the subject of call centres, I called MCE two times specifically stating that my bike is the MT-09 Tracer, not the Tracker. Both times they sent a policy with the MT-09 Tracker on it. 

Don't start me on MCE >:D ***"£$£$%$£%%"£%£^^$^^£$^^@@~@¬ >:D      and calm........ 
nor me. Absolute shockers, in my opinion. 

Oh shiz, when the girl said "did that make sense?" and I said "yes, I have to keep the bike in the garage if I'm at home and it's night time" that clearly wasn't the case:

Indemnity provided by Section 2 of your policy will not apply in respect of loss and/or damage to your bike caused directly by theft, attempted theft or malicious damage between the hours of 10 pm and 7 am unless your bike is kept in a locked and secured building and your bike is a) at your private dwelling place or

b) at any other address specifically agreed by us.

This only applies within half a mile radius of either a) or b).

Oh wait. I keep reading this and understand it differently. If it is not at home and not somewhere agreed with them, it's ok? Or is it?

I think it's best to call and confirm, the way I read that is if you park it, lets say in the next street over night you are not covered. If you park in a  street which is more than a half mile radius of your house you should be OK.
I seem to remember I had that in my documentation some years ago, but got changed to a bespoke policy and I don't have your wording in my current docs, but do have this rather worrying statement : Where is the motorcycle(s) kept whilst not in use? Think that's why I'll probably have a problem and you'll be OK.

• Premium Member
Oh shiz, when the girl said "did that make sense?" and I said "yes, I have to keep the bike in the garage if I'm at home and it's night time" that clearly wasn't the case: 
Indemnity provided by Section 2 of your policy will not apply in respect of loss and/or damage to your bike caused directly by theft, attempted theft or malicious damage between the hours of 10 pm and 7 am unless your bike is kept in a locked and secured building and your bike is a) at your private dwelling place or

b) at any other address specifically agreed by us.

This only applies within half a mile radius of either a) or b).

Oh wait. I keep reading this and understand it differently. If it is not at home and not somewhere agreed with them, it's ok? Or is it?
Let's break this down: 
The last sentence is the crucial one: the section only applies if the bike is close to home, within half a mile

So, after 10pm you have to secure the bike as agreed.

So, what is agreed: you MUST keep the bike in a locked building

I think what is confusing the matter is the provision to nominate another address e.g. some people keep their bike in their workshop at another address. So, if you have told your insurer the bike will be secured at another address the bike must be locked up after 10pm if within half a mile of THIS address.

The section does not have any effect if you are away from home as long as it over half a mile away. So, if you park outside a hotel in the street you will have theft cover. 

This type of endorsement is quite common on motorcycle policies and is quite reasonable to me as you will be getting a discount for taking security precautions. The only way you can fall foul of this is if you stop at a local pub, shop or petrol station less than half a mile from home late at night and your bike gets nicked. Just use a petrol station further from home!
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
I think it's best to call and confirm, the way I read that is if you park it, lets say in the next street over night you are not covered. If you park in a  street which is more than a half mile radius of your house you should be OK. I seem to remember I had that in my documentation some years ago, but got changed to a bespoke policy and I don't have your wording in my current docs, but do have this rather worrying statement : Where is the motorcycle(s) kept whilst not in use? Think that's why I'll probably have a problem and you'll be OK.
Calling an unqualified person who reads form a screen rather than speaking to an underwriter is not a good way of getting to grips with an insurance policy. 
I received compensation from Saga as the telesales person misrepresented an add-on to my car insurance - she told me the personal breakdown policy would cover me when riding my bike. When I received the policy documents it was patently clear that motorcycles were excluded from breakdown cover. Saga listened to the tapes of the sales call and agreed with my complaint. I received a full refund for the add-on policy and kept the cover, which was okay for driving cars.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I do see it a little odd that I get 90 days European breakdown cover but need to be home every night - I'm fast, but not that fast!
I might email them my understanding and tell them if they do not disagree within a reasonable period then I will take my understanding as fact :)

I needed to call them to let them know I would be travelling abroad, so asked for clarification.

Fair enough I only asked the screen reading telephonist, she has assured me the garaging clause is only applicable within the 1/2 mile of where your policy has your bike parked (usually at your home, but could be in a garage around the corner). This is the case of all their policies irrespective of that statement being in the policy documents or not because it is part of that long story they read out.
I would imagine that any declared security measures, like disc lock, chain etc. which may have been stated to get a discount would apply when you overnight away from home - so if you say you chain the bike in your locked garage, when you are away from home you'd still need to chain it. For that reason I say that there is no extra security.

What you should do if you do travel to the EU is call and let them know - I've never done it before, but then I've never needed to call them. Might just make things a little bit easier if that call ever had to be made.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
good to hear it's now appearing on the databases in the UK. Not keen on Hastings, though. Too many reports of difficulties with claims and refunds when policies are cancelled mid-term when a bike is sold.

I belong to the civil service motoring association (csma)( apparantly being a postie used to count as being a civil servant !! )  and have my car/bike/pet insurance with them ( LV Frizzel ) 
when I phoned for a quote on the Tracer they had no listings for it so, after a chat with their  under writers, they insured me under the MT 09 ABS 
after selling my Fazer last weekend, I phoned them up to cancel its insurance, whilst chatting I brought up the lack of Tracer on the systems and by then it was there but no mention of it having ABS so its been noted apparantly on my notes !! 
Csma costs about £15 a year roughly but you do get discounted insurances and multiple insurance discounts and ive found them very helpfull, thankfully not had any reasons to claim from them yet !! 

Archived