received-1035314300004526.jpg

received-1058865747606472.jpg

received-2087872351236363.jpg

received-261435194496753.jpg

received-340596750017994.jpg

received-454670095040634.jpg

received-688775121475604.jpg

received-727639484238537.jpg

MODS: custom remapped 133 wheel power by T.R.E. / K&P WORKSHOP,  WOOLICH RACING + race tools package, reprofiled cams,  ported cylinder head,  higher compression, bored throttle bodies, ape cam tensioner,  OHLINS FGK237 cartridge & YA 535,  GPR V4, SKF Fork seals,  BREMBO RCS 19 Corta Rossa with SC pads, HEALTECH shift light PRO, AKRAPOVIC racing carbon exhaust, slipper clutch + Barnett clutch springs, JT Sprockets + JVMX 525 black 112 links chain, oil temp gauge drain plug, air filter DNA + Modded airbox, PIRELLI ROSSO CORSA II, YAMAHA LED plus blinkers, antitheft alarm scorpio 900i + perimeter sensor + kill engine module, CELLULAR INTERPHONE led slim fog lights with yamaha oem mounting bracket, YAMAHA heated grips and more....

Do tell.  I am very curious to hear what is involved in achieving this.

With just the suspension, brakes and sport tires I figured you would be good to go but now you really have my attention.  I am hoping for a significant bump from 4k - 9k rpm.

well in short terms 

- reprofiled cams

- ported cylinder head

- higher compression

- ICT (individual cylinder mapping)

- bored throttle bodies

- APE manual cam tensioner

the bike is 133hp (the dynometer is not optimistic at all) now, before the setup was dna filter with modified airbox, ecu custom map with woolich race tools and akrapovic exhaust...
the bike was measured 118 hp... 

297.jpg

46443421-315759872353278-6250626812523577344-n.jpg

MODS: custom remapped 133 wheel power by T.R.E. / K&P WORKSHOP,  WOOLICH RACING + race tools package, reprofiled cams,  ported cylinder head,  higher compression, bored throttle bodies, ape cam tensioner,  OHLINS FGK237 cartridge & YA 535,  GPR V4, SKF Fork seals,  BREMBO RCS 19 Corta Rossa with SC pads, HEALTECH shift light PRO, AKRAPOVIC racing carbon exhaust, slipper clutch + Barnett clutch springs, JT Sprockets + JVMX 525 black 112 links chain, oil temp gauge drain plug, air filter DNA + Modded airbox, PIRELLI ROSSO CORSA II, YAMAHA LED plus blinkers, antitheft alarm scorpio 900i + perimeter sensor + kill engine module, CELLULAR INTERPHONE led slim fog lights with yamaha oem mounting bracket, YAMAHA heated grips and more....

changed the power to ft-lbs to be better understood for the us peeps

@kemmotar VERY nice results on the graph, big torque increase between 4,500 - 9,000 rpm - the sweet spot!
thanks my friend... i had bought a used full cylinder head from ebay with a few kms on the clock. I fixed those cams also inside, so my factory set up is not messed when i decide to sell or make my fj-09 factory again...

about the results now..
the bike has not lost any power withinn the full range of rpms... there is a slight increase on hp gain at the low rpms which i didnt expect but it was very welcome.. from 9000 rpms... the party starts... the bike kicks like its on 6000 if you know what i mean... you have std mode and with full grip on the right grip the front wheel lifts like its with first or second gear... at A mode which is even more aggresive you cant open full throttle without tcs .... all power wheelies and the rear tyre works overtime... in an open road the speed on clocks is around 270-280 optimal wind... the true speed is more than 250 (gps measured)... of course thats not the proper use but we tested it once twice to see if everything is ok.

• 1 month later...

Edited by kemmotar

• Premium Member
On 11/15/2018 at 1:29 PM, kemmotar said:

received-1035314300004526.jpg

received-1058865747606472.jpg

received-2087872351236363.jpg

received-261435194496753.jpg

received-340596750017994.jpg

received-454670095040634.jpg

received-688775121475604.jpg

received-727639484238537.jpg

Your photo of the underside of the head shows .020 presumably inches

Is that how much you shaved or how much is left?

Did you say what the compression ratio was earlier in your thread

I thought standard was 11.5 to 1, what is it now?

Fantastic job but I don't have the funds to invest in the engine other than a flash and careful valve and TB tuning

I'm still taking care of the suspension after completing the brakes; waiting on a razor r shock after revalving the forks 

The brakes are finally up to Snuff for me anyway similar route as you only my low-budget Brembo MC is off an R1, as are the 320 rotors

What lines and pads do you run?  Spiegler all around and Vesrah RJL-CT up front on mine.

I did put in an XSR clutch and APE CCT, and flipped the PAIR reed valves sealed the ports

AN exhaust would also be sweet but have noise constraints and Tenitus to think about but if I had the time and dosh a head and full system is the ticket

What octane is your Premium, 93 RON is the best here with 91 non ethanol sketchy and only in WI (Cheesehead Land).  I've tried without apparent effect Mid and even Regular grades.  I'm sure you can't do that! 😎

I also have three different Shields I run and like the KTM handguards with the OEM heated grips

Otherwise I farkled the hell out of the thing

By the way I've tried the Roadtech 01s but Dunlop's RS3 are okay and cheap here

have thed RS 2, 3 n 4 on my VTR but don't have a lot of miles on thethe 4s as I do ride in the rain a lot though and at night I'm crazy but not in the city

I've run all of the tire brands and even though I'm a sport tourer heavy on the sport side I don't like changing rubber any more often than 8,000 and preferably 10 to 12,000 miles ( I hate converting to clicks)

It's ready for 600-mile days loaded or weekend jaunts to cheesehead land with with routine 250 mile days scattered about where I only run a top box and and small tank bag

A two way speed shifter would be sweet as well but I really would like cruise control Above All Else

The NEP friction throttle locks which I love don't fit on the FJ with the OEM heated grips so I have to use a brake lever bolstered friction device; though there is a  custom manufacturer in Indiana that makes a bar end friction lock that's really trick  - I just haven't gotten around to having him make one for me as it has to be tweaked to work with the handguards

But you certainly have made a silk purse out of a not so quite sow's ear

good at ya mate!

20190104_033325.jpg

20190104_032827.jpg

20190104_032903.jpg

Your photo of the underside of the head shows .020 presumably inches

Is that how much you shaved or how much is left?

@2and3cylinders 

the cylinder head was shaved 0.2mm  [0.0078740157 inches] (the limit is around 0.35-0.40mm but its marginal), for safe tuning we shave up to 0.25mm max. in my new cylinder gasket we used the 2 from the 3 leaves (center and the 1 outer) so we cut down a little from the gasket also [0.2mm also]. you cant built your own gasket so thin so we modded a brand new one. so the total shaving was around 0.4mm [0.015 inches] aprox.

Did you say what the compression ratio was earlier in your thread

I thought standard was 11.5 to 1, what is it now?

What lines and pads do you run? 

i had written in the first edited post if you see. i was running for a year (365 days + canyon carving and 3 track days) the brembo z04 (probably the best pad in the world) but due to cost (around 240 euros) i have changed now to brembo sc. my lines are HEL PERFOMANCE UK (have not installed them yet, its gonna happen shortly).

about compression ratio since we didnt mess with pistons its around 12:1 

I did put in an XSR clutch and APE CCT

same

What octane is your Premium, 93 RON is the best here with 91 non ethanol sketchy and only in WI (Cheesehead Land).

our premium here is 100 RON. but i dont know if its trully 100 RON SUPER UNLEADED. 

I've run all of the tire brands and even though I'm a sport tourer heavy on the sport side I don't like changing rubber any more often than 8,000 and preferably 10 to 12,000 miles ( I hate converting to clicks)

i have tried.... oem crap of course dunlop d222 (not imported as merchandise in europe, only japan commercialy available normaly), bridgestone t30 evo, michelin pilot road 4 (worst as f@ck tyre only good for touring and rainy roads for someone stationned in englad or wales ffs), bridgestone battlax s21 (2 pairs) GREAT TYRE!!! and the last that i run now is pirelli rosso corsa II. i prefer the hypersport tyres since i drive sporty and use it also 3-4 times per year in the track.

how pirellis will last is not known to me yet, they seem ok till now, but s21 are probably the best hypersport tyre in terms of duration (13.000 - 15.000 km  are around 9.300 miles) but not grippy roads here in my country to "eat" tyre from those available in market now, the brand new s22 battlax from bridgestone come to the market in a few days or week (late january 2019) and japanese testers have stated that it will be better in grip (wet-dry) and mileage from the predecessor (s21). i will test them surely as the next tyre.

@2and3cylinders thanks for your good words, the truth is that i have invested a lot of money and time in the project. i am not thinking of selling my bike shortly so probably some of the mods repay in terms of riding pleasure. my tuning days for fj09 are coming in an end since a little baby girl came to the world and my priorities changed drastically.... hahaha the only thing left for tracer is the brakes (calipers+rotors) and probably the next level in cams (to go around 140whp)... 

Edited by kemmotar

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, kemmotar said:

bridgestone battlax s21 (2 pairs) GREAT TYRE!!! and the last that i run now is pirelli rosso corsa II. i prefer the hypersport tyres since i drive sporty and use it also 3-4 times per year in the track.

how pirellis will last is not known to me yet, they seem ok till now, but s21 are probably the best hypersport tyre in terms of duration (13.000 - 15.000 km  are around 9.300 miles) but not grippy roads here in my country to "eat" tyre from those available in market now, the brand new s22 battlax from bridgestone come to the market in a few days or week (late january 2019) and japanese testers have stated that it will be better in grip (wet-dry) and mileage from the predecessor (s21). i will test them surely as the next tyre.

I had not heard about the new Bridgestone S22, that is great news.  I have used several sets of S21 and it is my everyday tire, hot or cold, dry or wet, it is a great tire.  I haven't used it on longer road trips as I suspect it will square-off quicker than a sport-tour tire, for road trips I use the Pirelli Angel GT.

Rocky Mountain MC currently has the Bridgestone Battlax S21 for $186 a set!!

I just put a new set on my bike and have a spare set in the garage but at that price I might pick up another set for summer.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, koth442 said:

When you do the cams, let us know what you think and where you got them. That's something I might be interested in.

1 mt09 naked and one tracer start the project with the updated cams and will see how it goes...

28 minutes ago, betoney said:

I had not heard about the new Bridgestone S22, that is great news.  I have used several sets of S21 and it is my everyday tire, hot or cold, dry or wet, it is a great tire.  I haven't used it on longer road trips as I suspect it will square-off quicker than a sport-tour tire, for road trips I use the Pirelli Angel GT.

Rocky Mountain MC currently has the Bridgestone Battlax S21 for $186 a set!!

I just put a new set on my bike and have a spare set in the garage but at that price I might pick up another set for summer.

it wont square of if you run it in pressure 33-36 or at trip 34-38.... sport tourer tyres work better for trips but take under serious consideration that technology and  tyre industry work in favor of us... all these sport hypersport tyres like s21 or even pirelli rosso corsa II which is even more sportier than s21 (track oriented), are multi-compound tyres, both front and rear in three or five zones in the tyre surface...

for example check at the photo below the new pirelli how its made....

and i may say that in the wet, this tyre is phenomenal

pirelli rosso corsa 2.JPG

Edited by kemmotar
  • Thumbsup 1

I have commuted on my SV for several years wearing the S21. My commute includes 50+ miles of dead straight, boring freeway. For the commute I run 40/42 and I have no squaring issues with the tire. For as much grip as it has for weekend joyriding, the tire is amazingly durable. 

• Thumbsup 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Whereas Kemmotar concentrated on some very impressive engine mods plus the quick-shifter, as touched on in my prior post to this thread , my mods emphasized comfort (i.e., Sargent saddle, rubber foot pegs & hi-way pegs); ergonomic & body / control interfaces (i.e., lower bars, adjustable levers, grips, throttle lock, slip-assist clutch, Stomp Grips, etc.); safety / conspicuity lighting; luggage capacity suspension / handling; braking; auxiliary DC power supply & circuit protection; driving lights (I tried 4 different LED sets) & turn signals; cell phone / GPS & radar detector connectivity & heads-up display; wind screens (I have 3 screens at varying heights & widths + OEM); serviceability & crash protection (i.e., swing arm spools / sliders, better swing arm chain adjuster, front axle sliders & Givi case guards), and so on...

Oops, forgot to list the APE manual CCT

2019-01-29 BA 2015 FJ-09FR Yamaha Mods To Date_Page1.jpg

2019-01-29 BA 2015 FJ-09FR Yamaha Mods To Date_Page2.jpg

2019-01-29 BA 2015 FJ-09FR Yamaha Mods To Date_Page3.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 months later...

Sorry if somebody’s asked you about the exhaust already:

i was interested in the Akrapovic also cuz it has the dB killer and fits the center stand.

with dB killer in, is the sound still quiet enough when cruising? Could I still listen to music in my helmet away from max volume or not be annoyed on long trips? How much louder than stock with dB killer in?

i ask cuz I had a Sportster with Akrapovic and loved the sound, but then later regretted the loudness of it on long trips and afraid to wake up the neighbors late at night. 

Having the FJ stock exhaust now, I appreciate the quietness during cruising speeds on the highway. But still want a good grunt when I’m on the throttle...eargasm now and then.

thanks.