Battery died....Need suggestions for replacement

• Premium Member
Put my bike away late last fall, put the battery tender on the battery, and when I went to get her ready for 2018, the battery was completely dead!

Had it tested, and it was empty and wouldn't hold a charge. I know the batteries on our bikes aren't very good, but really? 

Now to find a new battery to put in that (hopefully) is much better.

Any suggestions?

• Premium Member
I got this one when mine died
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bike-master-lithium-ion-battery-dlfp-12-bs
It’s cheaper than the factory replacement and LIGHT. I mean crazy light. When the package arrived I picked it up and thought that they sent me an empty box.

Let’s go Brandon

I got this one when mine died https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bike-master-lithium-ion-battery-dlfp-12-bs
It’s cheaper than the factory replacement and LIGHT. I mean crazy light. When the package arrived I picked it up and thought that they sent me an empty box.
That's a great price for a Li battery. 

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member
Hmmm... I wonder if your battery tender is faulty. They are not supposed to cook all the liquid out of a battery. ?

How old was this battery?

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

• Premium Member
Hmmm... I wonder if your battery tender is faulty. They are not supposed to cook all the liquid out of a battery. ?  
How old was this battery?
Original to my 2015 FJ-09, I bought it in September 2015...... 
and I used the charger last year and the year before with no issues

I had a battery die on me last summer while hooked up to a tender on one of my other bikes. It was only about 3-4 months old to. Turns out that my tender lead on the bike was not making a solid connection, therefore it discharged the battery. In my case it had been on that bike for over a decade and was fatigued from so many years of use. I swapped in a new lead and recharged the battery back up slowly with the tender and it came back to life. 

2019 Tracer 900 GT. 2022 MT-09SP. 2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt. 2016 FJ-09 SOLD. 2019 XSR900 SOLD.

• Premium Member
Just be aware that lithium-ion batteries are light, but not good for cold weather cranking. As a year-round commuter in the Mid-Atlantic area, I just use the standard old sealed OEM type.
And they die real quick if you accidently leave your light on and breifly walk into a convenience store.....twice. :-[
BLB

Guest highplainsrider
The only time that I have had to replace a battery in less than 4 years is when I used a battery tender. I’m starting to think those things could be worse than doing nothing. 3 years on my OEM battery without using a charger and it is still good.

Going to start shopping for a replacement now even after knocking on some wood.

• Premium Member
The FJ-09 owners manual states that the battery is a VRLA (Valve regulated lead acid). It also states that a VRLA battery must be charged with a constant-voltage charger, and that a conventional battery charger will damage the battery.

Is your battery tender a constant-voltage charger?

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

• Premium Member
Just be aware that lithium-ion batteries are light, but not good for cold weather cranking. As a year-round commuter in the Mid-Atlantic area, I just use the standard old sealed OEM type.
I ride year round and have had no problems starting my bike in sub freezing weather with the Lithium battery. 

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member
And they die real quick if you accidently leave your light on and breifly walk into a convenience store.....twice. embarrassed.png 

Haven’t had this problem either. 

Let’s go Brandon

I ride year round and have had no problems starting my bike in sub freezing weather with the Lithium battery. 
Depends on the battery / bike combination. I had a Li battery I could start in near freezing weather after being outside overnight. But a buddy who kept his bike in a garage couldn't start his bike sub 40 degrees. In his case I figured it was more a picky Triumph Daytona 675 than a battery (that bike hates starting in cold weather... ask me how I know lol).

'15 FJ09

Depends on the battery / bike combination. I had a Li battery I could start in near freezing  weather after being outside overnight. But a buddy who kept his bike in a garage couldn't start his bike sub 40 degrees. In his case I figured it was more a picky Triumph Daytona 675 than a battery (that bike hates starting in cold weather... ask me how I know lol).
My KTM 690 has a Li batt and its a pain in the ass.  Granted, turning over all 650cc's at one time is much harder than spreading the displacement out over a few cylinders, regardless, the thing is picky under 50 degrees.  I got it down to turning the ignition on and high beams while gearing up, then low beams and hold the "flash to pass", then it usually cranks no problem.  

If I had to buy a battery for my FJ, there's no way it would be a Li.  Saving a few pounds is not worth it for this bike (IMO)  

• 1 year later...
On 4/19/2018 at 7:13 AM, PFJohns said:

They need to be woken up a little in the real cold.  Turn the key on with the lights for 10-30 seconds, warms up the battery.  Then try to start it.